• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charleston to HHI memorial day weekend may24-27 2019

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My family will be traveling into Charleston on Thursday night before memorial day weekend. Dropping boat in the water at WO thomas ramp then making way to HHI. we will stop in Beaufort to walk around/grab bite to eat then make way to HHI.

our return trip will be on Monday memorial day. Leave around 8am and make it back to Charleston around noon-1 depending on speed of travel.

My wife wants to take a trip around the island via boat while we are down there. We will do some fishing and other island activites..

We are not sure if family is meeting us in HH for the stay and renting a condo or if we will be in the Marriott.

Some info about HH.
We will dock at sheltercove, can reserve slip on dockwa. Its 30ft min 3$ ft so expect $90 night for boat.

There is also a comfort inn close by, but I wouldn't stay there again.

My sx230 made it from HHI to st John's marina in Charleston with about 1/4 tank left (took 38 gallons to fill up).

Any are welcome to join us on the trip down/back. We ran from lake moultrie last year with 2 other boats.

@Andy S @robert843 any other thoughts or input on this?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you make a reservation via the Dockwa app, after your reservation is accepted call Shelter Cove Marina directly and make sure they have your Dockwa reservation on their books. The last time I stayed at Shelter Cove, once I got there they did have my reservation in their books but after I showed them the reservation on the Dockwa app they easily accepted my reservation and gave me a slip.

For folks that haven't done this trip, it is a blast and mostly clear of no wake zone but be prepared for a lot of no wake zones on the last couple of miles to Shelter Cove. Watch the signs closely because there are short stretches that you can get back up to speed and if you miss them it will make last part of the trip even longer.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So you are leaving from Charleston on Friday to head to HH and then stay there until Monday morning and heading back?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark yes that's the plan. Boat in water at WO thomas ready to head out at 9am.

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We will take a look at that weekend instead of the usual Mother’s Day. Seems like we might dodge the graduation crowds that way too. I also burned exactly 38 gallons between Shelter Cove and WO Thomas Landing, with a fair amount at WOT (43 mph). We would definitely launch at WO Thomas again.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We will take a look at that weekend instead of the usual Mother’s Day. Seems like we might dodge the graduation crowds that way too. I also burned exactly 38 gallons between Shelter Cove and WO Thomas Landing, with a fair amount at WOT (43 mph). We would definitely launch at WO Thomas again.
That seems lite. You didn’t top off in Beaufort?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I skipped fuel in Beaufort both times and was VERY accurate about departing Shelter Cove with the tank completely full and completely filling it after the trip. Keep in mind I am running the older normally aspirated 1052cc MR1s which only turn 8000 RPM at WOT and are pushing 21 feet of boat. I am happy with their efficiency and certainly believe in the range advantage over the bigger boats still with 50 gallons. Fuel on the way down was also very close to same but I didn’t take a picture of the pump at Shelter Cove like I did after returning ...I was okay forgetting that bill.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was right about 38gallons @Mainah and I put in same amount of gas at st John's on way back. My gauge was acting funny, but when we went to fuel up it only took 38 gallons... then the trip back up river, locks and lake before pulling boat out that night.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We rented house right across from shelter cove for weekend since family will be in with us. Splitting cost came out little cheaper then 2 bedroom villa at the marriott right there at shelter cove.

They have a shuttle service to and from marina as well as dock master will shuttle over and back upon calling them.

We are booked for that Friday night with checkout on monday

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have only ever done the trip from Moultrie to Charleston and back. Can y'all tell me the path between Charleston and HH and how long that leg of the trip normally takes?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should take about 4hrs. I did a rough route via active captain app that came with my garmin. Looks like it's about 90miles.

Some areas are very slow traversing. On way back from HHI we were going through a cut that had dredge equipment on right side and sailboat trying to navigate it as well... it was in the 3-4ft depth range and was decent length. That was low tide.

It's also fun dodging all the crab pots if you try to cut a corner or 2

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you give me an idea of the actual route?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will see if I can map it via Google maps and draw line or if I can import from active captain

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Attached is rough route via Google maps and drawing it on pictures.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is there fuel between Charleston and HH? I know my boat can make it but some in the family want to bring the jet ski as well and not sure it can make the haul without fuel.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Their is fuel at beaufort. @veedubtek brought his ski last year... did you need to fill up in beaufort?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dockwa.com is where slip reservations need to be made. Went ahead and made reservations tonight for the stay. Its will be $270.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The route was much more intimidating than running the Cooper to Charleston; but it wasn’t bad. I upgraded my Lowrance to coastal maps and spent some beer time in the garage plotting waypoints using the intercostal line as the route. I felt very informed even though it was still uncharted waters for me. The dredge operation was an interesting surprise. It was one of those times where I was glad to be in a jetboat.