• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chart plotter

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
2017 SX240
I recently bought a hummingbird Helix 5 di GPS G2 with a navionics map card. I was very disappointed to realize that the Helix 5 is unable to do dock to dock routing. I took it all apart and I am returning it to Amazon today. Does anyone know of a 5-in GPS that is capable of dock to dock navigation? I'm having a hard time finding anything with that screen size. As always, thank you.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
2017 SX240
I recently bought a hummingbird Helix 5 di GPS G2 with a navionics map card. I was very disappointed to realize that the Helix 5 is unable to do dock to dock routing. I took it all apart and I am returning it to Amazon today. Does anyone know of a 5-in GPS that is capable of dock to dock navigation? I'm having a hard time finding anything with that screen size. As always, thank you.
A cheap alternative until you purchase a dedicated gps with dock to dock would be to install navionics on your phone. $15.00 / year subscription. I graduated to an iPad. With cellular. at the least, that will work dock to dock. In addition, a waterproof cover for phone or tablet, and ram mount would protect from elements and secure device to boat. I used a ram mount with a clamp in order to avoid drilling and adding fasteners in the fiberglass. Idk about a few miles offshore as I boat on a lake. I will consider a dedicated system but not until I upgrade to a larger boat.

Last edited:

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks. I do have a subscription for my cell phone as an alternative for now. Now I have holes in my dash and have to buy a new one now. Disappointed.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spent a lot of time researching chart plotters with dock to dock and bought and returned my first Garmin to buy another that will actually do dock to dock. With that said Garmin owns Navionics so I thought it would be just as good. Nope. The smaller screen you go the less likely you will find this feature. Many makes claim Navionics auto-routing, including many Garmin but then you find out you need to spend $$$$ to buy an SD card and a subscription. I bought the GPSmap 742xs but I would NEVER trust its dock to dock at all. Navionics is by far the best on a tablet or phone. I did a side-by-side comparison of the 742xs and Navionics on a tablet. Trust Garmin auto-route and you will end up beached.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Great write up, thanks. How is the glare on a tablet, I would think it might be hard to see. My cell does work great but I wanted something a little bigger and fixed.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a lifeproof case. Glare is occasional but is something that I can minimize by increasing screen brightness and repositioning when necessary. I installed a USB port as a battery backup. I hardly use it. While at a cove, I use an anchor alarm app and can toggle back and forth between apps.

Attachments

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have a lifeproof case. Glare is occasional but is something that I can minimize by increasing screen brightness and repositioning when necessary. I installed a USB port as a battery backup. I hardly use it. While at a cove, I use an anchor alarm app and can toggle back and forth between apps.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I am going to look at a tablet with high nits for sunlight viewing. Then I can use the Navionics app on it. :)

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tablets are good but my issues were getting it to stay connected to my phone's hot spot, the polarization of the screen, and overheating. That's just with my equipment, your results may vary. I still keep my phone on the ready with Navionics.

If you are looking for a secure mount that requires no drilling:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tablets are good but my issues were getting it to stay connected to my phone's hot spot, the polarization of the screen, and overheating. That's just with my equipment, your results may vary. I still keep my phone on the ready with Navionics.

If you are looking for a secure mount that requires no drilling:
Are they the 4.5 inch or 6 inch mounts? Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I could not get link to work from amazon but here is a screenshot of item. Ram mount for tablet that does not require drilling. Item listed as: “Chargercity xt boat helm pole bar spin bike tablet mount w/ universal tablet holder for iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, galaxy tab s, surface pro book, & all other 7”-12” screen tablets”

Attachments

Last edited:

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Great info !

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are they the 4.5 inch or 6 inch mounts? Do you have a link to the one you bought?
It was the 4.5" Naked Flex. It's $100, but it is a quality item made in the USA. Ok still not worth $100 but works.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, if you go to their website right now it was $20 off with the code KRAKENOVERSEAS