• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chartplotter Flush Install

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR240 that I'm considering installing a 9" Chartplotter on the dash. My thought is to removed the fairly useless phone holder and install it right in the center. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking of going Garmin so I can use Active Captain and Navionics. I'm open to suggestions. Is there a splitter or something that would allow you to use the factory GPS receiver or do I need to mount a new one?

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done so on my SX190, not exactly "flush" but flush mounted. Not sure how you would split the factory GPS receiver as most chartplotter have their own built-in GPS receiver (mine does anyways... maybe you are thinking a more powerful one?).

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have done so on my SX190, not exactly "flush" but flush mounted. Not sure how you would split the factory GPS receiver as most chartplotter have their own built-in GPS receiver (mine does anyways... maybe you are thinking a more powerful one?).
That looks great! Thanks! I didn't realize the GPS built in works so well.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, the GPS in my plotter is excellent.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good luck, it’s a rewarding install for sure

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Simrad go9, can’t see the small stuff without glasses anymore. So put in a second so I can also run the fish finder, and or the radar on one and keep the chart plotter on the other. On long trips I run one zoomed and one panned out like I have it here. If I did it over I would go with Garmin I think the routing is easier to use. The extra one is also a backup if needed. I also play at home and have used a iPad with Navionics charts, i think that is hard to beat. I take the chart plotter mounted on top home and plug it into a 12v converter and practice with it and enter routes there also. I put a cigarette adaptor on it and that way I can use it with the converter or plug it in on the boat.ED2E27CF-919E-4474-899F-8F30C7205A9B.png

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered a Raymarine Axiom 7 today. So I guess I'll see how it goes!
My Yamaha dash is too busy to flush mount a chartplotter so we just use charts of our local waters. However, I did install a Raymarine Axiom 9 RV with thru hull x-ducer in the beneteau and the GPS is spot on with location and direction. The pic. below shows the location on land. I had just installed the Axiom 9 and was testing the system while we were in our craddle on the hard at the edge of the Lake.

Screenshot_20200305-063352_Photos.jpg

This is how the boat sat, 2nd boat from the travelift/hoist and yes, my bow hung over the water. The other half of the screen was the RV x-ducer in 3-d out of the water.

The one covered in shrinkwrap.

20190425_154329.jpg

The Axion 7 is a nice choise.

Last edited:

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, if you do a dash install, do you still need the factory tachs/connext? I'm asking in case I end up with the 7" Connext. I would rather install a 9 or 12" aftermarket. But the dash couldn't accommodate that and keep the factory tachs. I'm pretty sure I have read that with modules, the hours and tach can be displayed on a Garmin/Simrad/etc...

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, if you do a dash install, do you still need the factory tachs/connext? I'm asking in case I end up with the 7" Connext. I would rather install a 9 or 12" aftermarket. But the dash couldn't accommodate that and keep the factory tachs. I'm pretty sure I have read that with modules, the hours and tach can be displayed on a Garmin/Simrad/etc...
The Yamaha Jet Boats are not communicating to other devices to my knowledge due to encription,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Maccam26 it isn't encrypted, but it doesn't follow a NEMA standard that a chartplotter can interpret. Which is a pity. Yamaha must have to pay a license fee to use NEMA or something stupid like that.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ordered a Raymarine Axiom 7 today. So I guess I'll see how it goes!
Ever get this done? On my 212x the dash looks horribly bare. My guess is the new boats will get the larger connext screen and we were just stuck with the smaller 7" until they did. Tons of room. Want to do a chartplotter and then a 4" ridesteady gauge to round out the dash.

20200705_105414.jpg

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ever get this done? On my 212x the dash looks horribly bare. My guess is the new boats will get the larger connext screen and we were just stuck with the smaller 7" until they did. Tons of room. Want to do a chartplotter and then a 4" ridesteady gauge to round out the dash.
I ended up installing 7" Axiom.

IMG_1974.JPG

Last edited:

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks awesome! How do you like it? Do those require any flush mount kits like the simrad's do?
Nope it came with all the stuff to flush mount it. I love it. It has the navionics card and works really well. We boat 6-8 times a year at night and I find it invaluable to know exactly where the channel markers are.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nope it came with all the stuff to flush mount it. I love it. It has the navionics card and works really well. We boat 6-8 times a year at night and I find it invaluable to know exactly where the channel markers are.
That's awesome. Going to put it on the "list". Going to grab my boat here shortly and will measure everything out. I eventually wanna do a bimini run with this boat, or the keys at least. So, this is a must have requirement. I'm assuming you got yours online somewhere? Seems there's a bunch of different configurations (some with the SD card and maps, some with the transducer, radar, flir, etc).

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome. Going to put it on the "list". Going to grab my boat here shortly and will measure everything out. I eventually wanna do a bimini run with this boat, or the keys at least. So, this is a must have requirement. I'm assuming you got yours online somewhere? Seems there's a bunch of different configurations (some with the SD card and maps, some with the transducer, radar, flir, etc).
Yep I ended up getting mine on Amazon after ordering from another suppler that never shipped it. Had to fight with them and dispute it on AMEX. Price on amazon was within $10 of the cheapest I found. I got it with no Transducer but did get it with the Navionics SD Card. We are going to the Keys in two weeks to go house hunting. I'll be brining the boat. Can't wait!

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other

View attachment 108762
What model simrad is that?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep I ended up getting mine on Amazon after ordering from another suppler that never shipped it. Had to fight with them and dispute it on AMEX. Price on amazon was within $10 of the cheapest I found. I got it with no Transducer but did get it with the Navionics SD Card. We are going to the Keys in two weeks to go house hunting. I'll be brining the boat. Can't wait!
Thought about not getting a transducer. I personally have zero need, but wasn't sure how it reacted without having one. Does it make it wonky to not have it? i.e. spots flashing on it saying "no data" or anything like that?

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought about not getting a transducer. I personally have zero need, but wasn't sure how it reacted without having one. Does it make it wonky to not have it? i.e. spots flashing on it saying "no data" or anything like that?
I have an Axiom 7 DV. Ran it for 2 years without the transducer and it works just fine as a chartplotter only. Finally installed the fish finder earlier this year as my son was showing interest in fishing. It is nice having a 2nd depth finder and temp sensor, although somewhat redundant with Connext. I've played with the fish finder/down vision some, more so on unfamiliar lakes to see what the bottom looked like, but haven't used it much otherwise. Granted I'm not a big fisherman myself.

If I recall correctly when I bought mine there was a nominal cost difference with the transducer so it was worth getting it anyway. I've already had the factory transducer go bad and be replaced under warranty. If it goes bad again I likely won't spend the $500 to replace it now that I'm out of warranty, and just use the Axiom for depth and temp.