• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chartplotter/VHF Radio Electrical Question

Shonky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm looking for information on how to connect a Simrad GO7 XSR and Standard Horizon GX1700 to my 2017 FSH 190. As of right now I've got the G07 XSR on ACC1. I was wondering if I could also run the Standard Horizon off the same switch, or should I go ahead and use ACC2? I'd like to keep ACC2 open for other projects if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FSH Resonders

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Simrad and VHF can not be on the same switch/breaker. The VHF pulls 7 amps during transmit. The Simrad pulls 3 amps you can use the Simrad breaker (aux switch 1- multiple out spades) to power a NMEA2000 buss with out issues.

Shonky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I might just got straight to the battery with the VHF Radio. I'd really like to hang on to the extra switch (ACC2) for spotlights I want to install.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd keep the switches for things that dont typically have their own power switches (like lights) and I'd install an aux fuse box behind the helm. I have 2 in my boat, one behind the helm and one at the battery. Connects things like GPS, radio, dual usb ports etc. (Links to my install in my signature 242X link-if you are on your phone you wont see my signature unless you turn your phone sideways)

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just remember to put a fuse by the battery on any electrical line that goes anywhere. I installed a fuse block in the center consul to hook stuff too but I put a fuse by the battery on the line going to the fuse block, if it wears through anywhere that fuse will blow and should prevent a fire. The fuse should be sized to blow before the wire gets hot when there is a direct short and starts a fire. So the wire size running away from the battery should determine the fuse size.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Something like this will give you plenty of options in the future. If you mount this in the consul.5E24743F-76E5-4107-82A8-43758A2B0081.png

Shonky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks guys! The advice and help is much appreciated.

Shonky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One more question:

Do I connect the Blue Sea Systems to the "House" switch in the battery switch assembly, or just got directly from the battery through a fuse to the fuse box? If I connect to the "House" switch i assume I will need to put a fuse after the switch before it get's to the Blue Sea Systems block.

FSH Resonders

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fuses should go in place as close to the power source as possible in this case the battery disconnect, and before any switch or power load.

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I powered my VHF from the horn switch, on the hot side

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Julian : Your tutorials in your signature are awesome, I have to say that first and foremost. I'm going to get one of the Blue Sea Fuse Boxes for my FSH210, mounting it in the center console. For the positive/negative connections, I'm just going to run positive and negative wires from the #2 (House) battery to the breaker, then mount it in the center console. I anticipate installing a GPS and some other electrical items that won't be on the standard switches.

Anything I should be aware of on the length of the battery wires to the Fuse Box? Any specific gauge to use? I anticipate putting in a VHF Radio, GPS, and potentially some guest USB Ports. It should make the installation especially easy only running wires from the installation points to the center console, as well as having those items strictly draw from the House Battery and not connected to my Starter.

**UPDATE**

Answered my own question by following a guide from TheHullTruth, it depends on what types of items you plan on connecting to the fuse box.

Last edited:

FSH Resonders

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What it the rating on the fuse block you have chosen? - the fuse block wiring should rated for the maximum x 1.5 of the fuse block, a main circuit breaker or fuse should be place inline (between the battery and the fuse block)
When running the battery auxiliary wiring protect them from chaffing with nylon conduit material.
What is the recommended fuse rating on the VHF, GPS, etc? this will determine the fuses installed and the wire rating.

Daniel Patrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd keep the switches for things that dont typically have their own power switches (like lights) and I'd install an aux fuse box behind the helm. I have 2 in my boat, one behind the helm and one at the battery. Connects things like GPS, radio, dual usb ports etc. (Links to my install in my signature 242X link-if you are on your phone you wont see my signature unless you turn your phone sideways)
This is exactly what I did - make sure you have extra fuses as well in case it blows and you need to replace on the water.