• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine light/limp mode

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was out on the boat running perfectly fine. Went and idled by a house and went to get on the throttle and it stuttered for a second and then the check engine light came on and went into limp mode. Also flashing a small "AL" in the bottom corner of the display. Two pissers were peeing fine. Nothing in the clean out port. I wish I had a scanner!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some reading material for ya, that you've seen before, and maybe even again since posting this:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2014-ar190-alarm-code-help.6216/

Doubt it tells ya anything though. If you're not in a hurry, I'll be in Alabaster this summer to visit family, lol. My Uncle owns some antique stores there.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did the fault ever clear for you? I was just read another almost identical thread on an SX190 where @Wake Turbulence had a check engine alarm where the boat went into limp-mode. It cleared after a couple of restarts and he said it was fine. He had just removed the flame arrestor and was wondering if that may have had something to do with it. You have removed your flame arrestor, right?

https://jetboaters.net/threads/should-i-be-concerned.13359/#post-232165

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Never went away. Checked the clean out port, plugs, oil, and everything else that I could at the time and didnt come up with anything. I ended up towing it to Wedowee....Not real thrilled with them right now. Theres really only two places close to me to service the boat. They are both 2 hours from me but in totally different directions. I bought the boat from wedowee so I called them first. The guy I talked to said theyd be able to get to it before the end of the week. I thought good, they have my info already and I might be able to get it back before Saturday, which is my birthday. I drive ALLLL the way there and drop it off to find that in reality, itll be "at least two weeks" before they can even look at it.... Had I known that, I wouldve taken it somewhere else or bought the scanner myself and attempted to figure it out....So needless to say Im pretty pissed right now.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
But to answer your question, I do have my flame arrestor. I didnt want to void any warranty just yet and Im glad I didnt remove it. I tried numerous re-starts and it never changed. Only thing I didnt try was removing the negative battery cable bc if I were to take it somewhere and there was a problem, I didnt want to clear the code out. I would have tried a lot more had my closest dealer been around the corner and not 2+ hours away.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't blame you in the least for being pissed. I hope it's just something really minor and quick to resolve.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Update:
As of 5/16 Wedowee called and said there is a dummy plug behind the gauges. This plug came "Un-plugged" and fell down somewhere and the tech wasnt able to find it. Robbed one off a boat on the lot and verified it fixed the concern. MY issue with this is that he tried to say that the wiring I did for my LEDs and my wired remote "may have had something to do with this". I disagree. I wasnt anywhere near this dummy plug.

As of Today (5/17)
I called to verify that the boat was fixed and the Service guy told me that no, the boat would not be ready today. The dummy plug did not fix it. It worked for a minute and went back to doing the same thing. Then later I get a call from the same tech from yesterday saying he "checked every wire, every relay, and every connector. The only thing it could be is the PCM. I feel confident that its the PCM." He also told me that Yamaha electronic parts can be anywhere from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks to get it. BUT....what happened to my dummy plug that was "missing"? I've been an automotive mechanic for years and I know this trick. He saw some aftermarket wires and thought that the plug was the problem so he tried to get it out of warranty. Warranty doesnt pay near as well as customer paid jobs. But now that the dummy plug isnt the root problem....that suddenly appeared again???

Looks like I may not have my boat for Memorial Day. I already missed my birthday (5/13)....I'm not real happy.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Anyone want a well kept 2015 AR192? Thinking about selling...like seriously.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
did they ever put YDS on it and see what the alarm was for?

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Im assuming that is what they plugged up. They said the only "codes" was leading them to believe it was the "dummy plug". Im assuming they used a YDS to retrieve the codes, since they are a dealer.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So still no concrete results?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been efi tuning cars for over 10 years. 99% of the time when a shop says "it's the ecu", it's not the ecu and they're too dumb to trouble shoot it properly. I've seen this dozens of times.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So still no concrete results?
They said that the ECU is made to order in Japan. So no telling. And through my experience from my past job, electronic parts + US Custom =no bueno. They take forever to release them. No idea why. So hopefully that wont be the case but I dont know.

I've been efi tuning cars for over 10 years. 99% of the time when a shop says "it's the ecu", it's not the ecu and they're too dumb to trouble shoot it properly. I've seen this dozens of times.
I've been a mechanic for years and have been trained in Fords. Im certified through Ford Motor Company. Their electrical systems are some of the most complex to deal with sometimes. But I agree, mot times when someone throws a PCM diagnosis around its, because the issue is somewhere in the wiring and they cant seem to figure out where it is or they just guess that the PCM is the problem. He "said he checked everything and the PCM is telling it to do one thing but its doing another." I dont know, I'm at their mercy...

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Update 6/4:
Got a call from Wedowee on Saturday saying the boat is ready. Great. Sooner than I expected. I get up early Sunday and go pick it up. I get it back and on the water and it runs great. BUT.....The PCM is mounted on the back of the transom behind the engine. 2 out of the 4 bolts are missing, the harness is not secured in the straps next to the PCM, the rubber washers/insulators on the engine covers are missing, the whole interior of the boat is FILTHY, my carpet by the engine hatch is black from I guess the mechanics knees, shoe prints in the interior, my cover was on but the poles werent installed so it would have beat the side of the boat going down the interstate had I not noticed and corrected it, also the transom straps werent installed.....Wedowee is a joke. For such nice facilities and being such a large presence on Lake Wedowee, I would expect MUCH better. Theyll be getting an email with my pictures....

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had the same experience with different mechanics. IF they dirty a boat, freaking clean it. I just spent 2k on a bow and cockpit cover in a 70k boat and my swim platform looked like they were working in mud, ridiculous.

Sounds like the mechanics there aren't the greatest.

Just so I understand, they mounted this PCM is mounted in a different spot than originally? Why would they do that? Why would bolts be missing? Lazy installation?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My brand new boat from them had grease marks in the white vinyl upholstery. Took forever to find a product that got it out. My boat wasn't even cleaned when I picked it up and I had to babysit them in the shop making sure it came with everything. Spend $30+k on a new boat and you at least expect them to clean the damn thing or treat it nicely.

To this day I'm still waiting on my warranty claim for my tower paint chipping off. At this rate I wonder if I can contact XTP directly and get my tower issue resolved since Wedowee and/or Yamaha Warranty dept are failing at their job since November 2016.

Glad you got your boat back and it's running again. All that stuff definitely isn't worth the trip back there as it would probably just be messed up even worse and thakfully you can fix that yourself knowing its done right. It really is a shame its such a nice dealership on the water but they could be sooooo much better if they just took care of their customers in the service department. It's a shame and Yamaha really should be let aware how bad they are screwing things up there. As you know you aren't the first one of our local Alabama group to have less than acceptable service and this needs to be addressed with Randy (the owner of Wedowee Marine) and Mother Yamaha. Maybe a corporate call from Yamaha would be enough to get Wedowee to straighten their act.

It sucks there are only two Yamaha boat dealers in Alabama. I wished they would put one central to the state on Lay Lake or Lake Mitchell.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have had the same experience with different mechanics. IF they dirty a boat, freaking clean it. I just spent 2k on a bow and cockpit cover in a 70k boat and my swim platform looked like they were working in mud, ridiculous.

Sounds like the mechanics there aren't the greatest.

Just so I understand, they mounted this PCM is mounted in a different spot than originally? Why would they do that? Why would bolts be missing? Lazy installation?
No. It was mounted in the same location. See attached photos. Wish I had taken pictures of the cover and missing transom straps. The boat wasnt even pulled all the way to the bow roller.....just very pathetic attempt at everything.
Yamaha 1.jpg Yamaha 2.jpg Yamaha 3.jpg Yamaha 4.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even though I'm super busy, this is why I do my own work. I'd be bent paying Gs to end up with a dirty boat.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Luckily I didn't pay a dime. Still under warranty. But otherwise I would have done it all myself, too. I would have spent the money and got the scanner needed to see the code and gone from there.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just don't understand. If I owned a business i would be very concerned about my customer facing processes, and apparently cleaning up your mess isn't on the list.

Maybe there isn't enough competition to force some of these more basic services?