• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

check engine light on my new 195 sx

Bigperm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So i took my brand new 2021 yamaha 195 sx off the lot and stright to the water ..... follwed the directions on braking it in got to the 3 hour mark and was abel to wide open throttel a little .... very excited i spent today putting on fizzel blow off valve and a cobra fangs and a filter from riva insted of catch can cranked it up to hear the blow off valve do its thing and i have a check engine light and alarm ... any ideas what might be happining ? the wife is not to happy

Last edited:

Bigperm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Well it’s been raining so I had to stop my install and cover my boat 3 times apparently during one of my cover ups I got rerouted to another project and didn’t plug back up
A electronic connection that I unplug putting in my tee for my blow off valve went back over my work found it plugged it up and my check engine light and the wife are happy agin 👊
Now just waiting on my wet wolf adjustable cone some trailer additions and the weekend
Dropper her back in and see how she runs with what I have done ...... side note anytime you unplug something on the engine plug it back up 😗

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Seems like a bunch of changes to a brand new boat. Are these really necessary? Do you really get much bang for the buck or is it boat bling?

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the blow off valve upgrade just for the sound effect? And on the Yamaha does it vent to atmosphere or does it recirculate. I know in the car world we upgrade the BOV as a supporting mod for other performance modifications. Usually no point on changing it on a stock engine.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
BOV extends the life of the supercharger clutch. Which is one of the first points of failures on the supercharged engines.

I did it last year and it’s a huge pain in the ass especially considering I did it hard mode and drilled into manifold. Worth it IMO though.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bigperm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Seems like a bunch of changes to a brand new boat. Are these really necessary? Do you really get much bang for the buck or is it boat bling?
It’s more preventative maintenance then anything ..... my back ground is a motorcycle Tec I worked for a BMW Ducati dealership
So I work on a lot of high end engine
The BOV helps relieve stress on the supercharger clutches ... from WOT and letting off the pressure builds up in the intake and has no where to go so it backs up on the supercharger.....to service the supercharger or clutch you pretty much have to pull the motor
So I am looking for many years of trouble free lake time ..... not hotroding it yet

Bigperm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Is the blow off valve upgrade just for the sound effect? And on the Yamaha does it vent to atmosphere or does it recirculate. I know in the car world we upgrade the BOV as a supporting mod for other performance modifications. Usually no point on changing it on a stock engine.
Yea I got a big back ground in turbo cars and bikes

... but this is a jet ski engine and has a clutch pack and when I go from WOT to half or no throttle I have lot of pressure build up in the intake .... so the BOV saves wear on the supercharger.... yep it goes to the atmosphere

Last edited:

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Bigperm - Thanks for educating a newcomer. Worked on vehicles 3-4 decades ago, so while this is new technology, I could certainly do -and would enjoy - the install. Would adding a BOV, oil catch can, etc., void a Yamaha warrantee? I'm guessing yes, and therefore would need to wait until it expires I suppose - unless these things were easily removable...

Bigperm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Bigperm - Thanks for educating a newcomer. Worked on vehicles 3-4 decades ago, so while this is new technology, I could certainly do -and would enjoy - the install. Would adding a BOV, oil catch can, etc., void a Yamaha warrantee? I'm guessing yes, and therefore would need to wait until it expires I suppose - unless these things were easily removable...
So I had this question as well ... I am doing nothing that I think would void the warranty (I hope) I have work in the motorcycle industry for big name manufacturers and have seen things .... I needed this for my pice of mind but what I did literally takes a few minutes to put back stock & I literally have all parts and tools to swap back on my boat could do it on the water if need .... but it’s a gray area
I know the guys at my local Yamaha shop
Have ridden with them for years ... so hopefully I can bring it up and find out
Love these boats and the engines are very proven
Thanks
Big perm

Last edited: