• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine light

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Need some some @HELP .... starboard check engine light is on.... coolant temp is good, oil pressure is good. Any ideas?

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not really familiar with the new systems but is the voltage good? I see it is a different color ( Power Supply ) Indicating low current

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also maybe check for obstruction in the water intake track, maybe it has low water flow?? Also try all of the other quick fixes, reseat lanyard, cycle hatch kill switch......just thinking off the top of my head.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need some some @HELP .... starboard check engine light is on.... coolant temp is good, oil pressure is good. Any ideas?
Don't rely on your guages. Check your pee holes for water flow. Pull your dip stick and visually check the oil. Pull your clean out plugs and check for debros. Did you have any sort of incident prior to this happening? What were you doing just prior to this? Cruising, water sports, slow or high spred? It's possible it's a faulty sensor but don't take any chances if it lights up each time you run the rngine. If you have to get off the water on single engine, dead engine lever in forward and no faster than no wake speed unless you can close off the dead engine cooling line.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did all of that... pee holes are peeing, oil is good. Clean outs, to include the water intakes are good. I'm leaning towards a faulty sensor...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a low battery to me. Do you have dual batteries? If so, put it into combine and see if it starts. (not sure if starting is the issue though--or just a check engine warning).

If it is just a check engine. Shut the whole system down---all switches off. And re-boot from fresh.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Agree......shut totally down and reboot.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm good. Thanks for all of the advice. I think it was just a bug. After about the 5th restart, it happied up. Still no idea what the issue was. Battery voltage was good. She ran like a top for the whole day though....

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So if you look at the diagnostic screen now, is "power supply" green?

Just curious.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should've done that.... but I didn't. We will be out again tomorrow and I will check again.... thanks again for all of the quick replies. On another note... why the hell can't the screen just tell us what sensor is in alarm. A general check engine alarm is much too broad.

Last edited:

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this issue yesterday out in Newport Beach. I sucked up some kelp or seagrass on the starboard engine......... removed the seagrass. Check the pee holes, checked the oil........checked the voltage and everything good.
Docked it, turn the battery switches off for about 1 hour ........... still the same issue. STBD Check Engine warning on. Boat runs normal though, no rev-limiter or overheating issues. I'm going to try and disconnected the batteries completely this week and check it on the weekend. Any ideas let me know ............. Thanks

upload_2016-6-27_14-7-54.png

RoughRider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I too have a starboard check engine warning. I did my 10 hour maintenance today and had the water on (after starting engine). After about 10 minutes it got a temp warning on it so I shut water off and shutoff engine. Went ahead with the engine maintenance (changed oil and spark plugs) and everything seemed fine. After fueling up I launched and had the check engine come on. What can I do? And thanks to JB.net for all of the help, love this site.

RoughRider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HELP to my previous post.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you sure your starter battery isn't low? (the Connext screen only show house battery voltage---it lies). So try this.....shut everything off (all switches off), turn on the combine switch first, then the other two and see if it has gone away.

If that doesn't work, have you looked at the sys panel listing to see if it gives you the error code there (hold down sys button for 5 seconds)

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this issue yesterday out in Newport Beach. I sucked up some kelp or seagrass on the starboard engine......... removed the seagrass. Check the pee holes, checked the oil........checked the voltage and everything good.
Docked it, turn the battery switches off for about 1 hour ........... still the same issue. STBD Check Engine warning on. Boat runs normal though, no rev-limiter or overheating issues. I'm going to try and disconnected the batteries completely this week and check it on the weekend. Any ideas let me know ............. Thanks

View attachment 40319

So I disconnected the batteries completely by disconnecting both the battery ground cables. Left it like that overnight and the check engine light was gone !! Boat running normal with no issues.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome man!! Sometimes when you get a code like that the computer holds onto it. It's there to let you know it wasn't just a passing thing but rather something that requires your attention. Referred to as a "hard code" (at least it was when I went to school).

When you completely pull the cables the capacitors that allow the system to keep its memory are drained and the code will go away (most of the time, depends on the code). Most important are your mechanical checks on the systems: oil, coolant flow, etc.

dan bebe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have gotten the check engine light and alarm to delete the same way,disconnecting the batteries.you would think Yamaha or connext would figure a better way to delete.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Administrative , seems to be a duplicate post... Already on another thread here.