• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check Engine; Low Revs

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I have a 2014 195 HO Impulse with 68 hours.

At the end of last season, was running fine. Had it winterized at the local SeaDoo dealer.

First test start in driveway - low oil pressure error.
2nd test start - fine.

Into the water - starts fine, will only rev to under 6000. Check engine light comes on.

At one point it flashed a fault code of P0106.

I tried restarting, resetting etc. No luck.

It will run but the revs are limited to under 6k. All the fun happens over 7K!

Any advice short of taking it back to the service center?

Thanks,
Jubin.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The ECU breaker in the back breaker panel is causing your problem.
You can try to run the boat by-passing the breaker (connect both side together).

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@Jubin Payandeh did this work? If did, can you take a picture of the breaker and location in case others have same issue?

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I was ready to try this. I picked up some gator clips and wire...

As I was contemplating opening the breaker panel and had everything open in daylight, I noticed a large hose was disconnected and the hose clamp was in the bilge...

I am not 100% sure but it looked to be connecting the engine, right beside the oil filter to what I think must be the intercooler. Easy enough, reconnected it. Not sure why this would come undone? Is it part of a winterization and the tech forgot to reconnect?

Check engine cleared on the 3rd start. I haven't tested the boat as of yet. Actually waiting for the fog to clear so hopefully later this morning.

Getting my boat out of the water, on the trailer and to the seadoo dealer is a pain... here's hoping. Will post the results.

Jubin.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The hose beside the oil filter is the throttle intake hose.
Dealer must have disconnected it during engine fogging.
Would definiltely cause a lack of power & also some sort of intake pressure fault like P0106.
If the dealer did fogged the engine, I would strongly recommend to change your spark plug. Best $12 investment you could do.

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I tested the boat after connecting the hose and I had full power... problem solved... NO! It still cut out and was jerky at the top end.

I took it to the Sea Doo shop - they said they couldn't read the codes as they are not an authorized dealer and I would have to take it to one. 8 hour drive... I called, they were no longer an authorized dealer, next closest - 12 hour drive... contemplated spending the brief boating season here drinking in my boat and crying.

My friends suggestion was as stated above - change the plugs. The Sea Doo dealer was doubtful. Fine, I'll,do it myself. Did not seem to difficult. Picked up plugs and some grease from a auto parts store, changed them this afternoon. Starting in the driveway - still check engine - more depression...

Well, the only way to know for sure - water test - beats days of driving and waiting. The check engine light is still on HOWEVER it runs fine. I really tried to break it, no hiccups.

So looking forward to boating season. Of course, the weather forecast in Northwestern Ontario is grim for the next 2 weeks...

This season I will do the winterization myself. Resources and support online have been very helpful. It was very satisfying to rectify the problem.

Jubin.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Since you're so far from a dealer, you may want to consider getting a CanDoo Pro for reading/reseting coding and understanding the general health or your engines. I've used mine several times and feel it was a good the investment. Trailering to the dealer is certainly a pain and I only have to go 30 min.

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Since you're so far from a dealer, you may want to consider getting a CanDoo Pro for reading/reseting coding and understanding the general health or your engines. I've used mine several times and feel it was a good the investment. Trailering to the dealer is certainly a pain and I only have to go 30 min.
I had a look at their website - CanDoo Pro.

What I gather is all the shop(s) would have to do is purchase one of these commercial units and they are good to go?

If I want my own, I can purchase the home version and it would work on my boat and spark?

This seems too easy, am I missing something?

Jubin.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had a look at their website - CanDoo Pro.

What I gather is all the shop(s) would have to do is purchase one of these commercial units and they are good to go?

If I want my own, I can purchase the home version and it would work on my boat and spark?

This seems too easy, am I missing something?

Jubin.
I'm not the CanDoo expert, but that's pretty much it. The Home version is limited to 4 motor VINs so your Scarab will use two of those. You can purchase more, but that's not really needed unless you have a couple of more boats and/or jet skis in the garage (or if you have a few friends and want to split the price and share). The shop version has unlimited VINs hence the price difference. I believe all other functionallity is the same.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If you have an Active Fault, it would be displayed in the gauge under the Engine Fault menu.
If you have check engine ON & no fault being displayed, the system is healing & check engine will turn OFF after a few driving cycles.
If the engine still cut out at top end & run rough afterward ... bypass the ECU breaker as it must have a bad connection internally (known issue)

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
If you have an Active Fault, it would be displayed in the gauge under the Engine Fault menu.
If you have check engine ON & no fault being displayed, the system is healing & check engine will turn OFF after a few driving cycles.
If the engine still cut out at top end & run rough afterward ... bypass the ECU breaker as it must have a bad connection internally (known issue)
Finally some nice weather here.

Went out Friday evening and pushed it pretty hard. The check engine light is no longer lit.

I am happy about this.

So, hoping for another great season.

Jubin.