• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'Check Engine' No power at Start up today?

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
4th year with the boat and no issues. Keep it on a mooring in a lake. Uncovered and fired up the stb engine, did not sound good at all and ran very rough. Check engine light was on. Restarted with the same issue. Tried to give it throttle and RPM's would not go past 2k. I let it sit for about a minute and restarted again and it started and ran flawlessly, no light. Ran all day with no issues. Anyone else had something like this happen before?

I plan to go back with the laptop and pull the codes/report when I fill it later in the week.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Different boat than yours but I had this exact same thing happen, and I mean word for word. Only difference is I left it for about 15 minutes. This was a few weeks ago. Never had any issues before it happening and have put maybe 20-25 hrs of cruising and water sports on it since and no issues. Mine happened very suddenly after running fine all day. Stopped after pulling a slalom skier and was just sitting there idling and suddenly it starboard started running really rough. Shut it down right away, then restarted it - no temp or oil flags in the diagnostics - still running really rough and it seemed to be in cripple mode (limited to very low rpm). Got back to the dock on port engine. Ridesteady GPS had been acting up that day and because that was the only thing that seemed different I disconnected all the Ridesteady wiring harnesses completely (took about 15 minutes). Took the boat back out and it ran great again. Rehooked Ridesteady back up and it still ran great. No idea what it was, never seen it happen again (knock on wood). Again different boat and not sure if you have Ridesteady so maybe not the same issue as yours but thought I'd add my experience since the scenario was literally identical description. Interested what if any codes you pull.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I actually do have Ridesteady installed as well. This is my 2nd year with the system and it has been flawless. I guess it could be a 'gremlin' somewhere in the system but with 2 years of use with RS and that is the 1st time it has acted up I am leaning away from RS being the issue. I will see what alerts/codes were stored tonight with the laptop. Odd we had the same issue though, will have to seen an eye on things a bit closer and check the connections.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I actually do have Ridesteady installed as well. This is my 2nd year with the system and it has been flawless. I guess it could be a 'gremlin' somewhere in the system but with 2 years of use with RS and that is the 1st time it has acted up I am leaning away from RS being the issue. I will see what alerts/codes were stored tonight with the laptop. Odd we had the same issue though, will have to seen an eye on things a bit closer and check the connections.
Yeah I'd agree that Ridesteady could be a red herring and really it was simply the down time that it took to disconnect the wiring harness that rectified it.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I went out tonight and hooked up the computer - both engines fired up flawlessly - I pulled the codes prior to fully starting them however and then while running - everything was within spec.

It is interesting as I checked before launching this season and there were no stored codes. However I have a couple of the same codes on each engine:

134 Accelerator Position Sensor
132 Accelerator Position Sensor

These were both over 20 hours ago though, so nothing recent.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Would not surprise me if those errors are from the Ridesteady. In talking with Ridesteady support, it is really common for the APS to throw errors if at any point you manually force shut off Ridesteady or turn off the batteries (resulting also in shutting off RS) within less then 45 sec after you turn off the key. Evidently the APS continues some type of communication with with the Yamaha system for about 30-45 sec after the keys are shut off. So since Ridesteady is now a component spliced into that communication harness, if you force shut off Ridesteady (holding power button to interupt RS standby or turn off batteries) you essentially interrupt the last bit of communication the Yamaha system is expecting. This will cause an APS error to be thrown. I was getting engine alarms when starting up my boat for the first time on some days after installing RS. Turns out because of my routine, after pulling my boat out, was to shut off the keys and immediately shut off the batteries, all these engine alarms were being thrown because of RS interrupting the normal APS post-key-off communication and these alarms were stored from the previous outing shutdowns and beeping at the next start up. Since I started making sure I give the RS 45 sec after the key is shutoff before I turn off the batteries no more alarms. But like you said since these logged long ago so doesn't have anything to do with the current investigation. Too bad there wasn't stored codes - was curious what they might be. Guess for now we are resolved to just hope this was a fluke and we don't see this crop up again. If you discover anything else please post back here and I will do the same.

BoomerF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a buddy of mine has a 2015 212X, the same thing, has about 140 hours on both engines. Check engine alarm would go off, turn the engine off, start back up, ran great. Take the boat out, overheat alarm, both pee valves flowing just fine. Last week, starboard engine wouldn't start. He takes it to the shop, zero compression on #3. Stuck valve. Cost him $2000 to get it fixed. Good luck.
Boomer