• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check your hose clamps!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well guys,

What I thought was a bad carbon seal ended up being a loose clamp on my bellow. And it could have been a very easy repair. The symptoms will be very similar to a carbon seal (warm water in the ski locker).

Ive also heard of the exhaust clamps being loose from factory. Have your techs check these when you do your first service, or your next service if you haven't had issues with your boat's engine. Some will not give out or make your hoses loose their seal until hours after. Get them double checked, and check them when you do your engine checks.

I know there are some that are hard to get too. Do your best. It may save you a headache in the future.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I found several of mine loose when I went to repair the exhaust hose that fell off. I had Marine Max accomplish two services (10 hour and 25 hour) and you would think they would have checked hose clamps....

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found several of mine loose when I went to repair the exhaust hose that fell off. I had Marine Max accomplish two services (10 hour and 25 hour) and you would think they would have checked hose clamps....
Checked em all at the begining and end of the season. . . . . Might add a mid season interval now too.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Checked mine this past weekend, found various ones that were looser than I would have liked.. but none allowed any play in the pipes. Some of them are a pain in the ass to reach like the bellow clamps. Not much room to get a ratchet in there and awkward as heck to reach in a 165 at least.

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Haven’t had any issues, but the bellow clamp where a little loose. Thanks for the heads up.

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
"Check you hose clamps" can't be said enough. Changed the oil and filter the other day then checked hose clamps yesterday. Most were tight and a few tightened up when checked. The hose clamp for the water inlet to the front of the exhaust manifold was finger loose. We love the boat but these QC issues, especially critical ones that could sink you, are very frustrating.

Stumpo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just had a big scare myself yesterday; so I thought I'd add to this. Not only check your clamps but remove the hose and check the mating surface. I had my resignator box flange get melted down from the inside and that's what caused my hose and clamp to pop off. I was sucking in water fast, after sun down and a good 8 miles from home; not a good position to be in. So I highly recommend checking this out occasionally. I'm not sure the root cause of the damage so if anyone has any ideas iI' love to hear them. I Just bought the boat used this year so it could be from the previous owner if they tried running the boat dry.

Attachments