1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chemical-free traction mat glue removal (Pink Eraser)

Discussion in 'Member Tips and Ideas' started by CrankyGypsy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CrankyGypsy

CrankyGypsy Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +220 / 13
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    New-to-me boat, old Hyrdo-Turf garbage. Preparing for SeaDek install.
    No trick to getting the mats up (aside from tedious brute force), but figured out something for glue removal. I tried a bunch of the standard recommended chemicals (plus heat) and didn't find any that worked to my satisfaction. For most of them, best results came after letting them soak in then also using a razor blade to thin the glue down enough that I could actually wipe it up clean with more of the chemical ...and it still took several go-overs. The razor was also removing the grit of the traction areas.

IMG_20190108_171624.jpg

I tried rubbing the glue with my latex-gloved finger and found it rolled the glue right up so I could just brush it off. This was killing my fingers, so I considered ordering one of those "eraser wheels" for decal removal. Then I thought, "why not a pink eraser then?" Compared to chemicals, this is awesome. It actually seems to work best when the glue is thicker, rather than thinner - the glue pulls on itself.
    UPDATE: decided to order the "eraser wheel" mentioned below.

IMG_20190109_102759.jpg

IMG_20190109_102840.jpg

My picture shows the eraser after I had successfully used it on several areas ...I'm going to need to buy more (Paper Mate 12-packs can be found for $5). No risk of damaging the gelcoat or removing the traction grit. Won't work if the surface is damp.

Other notes:
    - Adding heat to the mat in an attempt to facilitate removal only caused the glue to let go of the mat and stay on the deck. It wasn't night and day easier, either. So for me, I preferred wearing myself out tearing the mat off rather than leaving so much glue behind to erase.
    - I didn't try icing the mats first - didn't seem practical. Plus, pulling up mat that was in the shade didn't seem any easier than stuff in the sun.
    - Some recommend spraying the underside edge of the mat at the deck as you lift it off to help the next portion let go. Add in the spraying time and this doesn't seem to make it go any faster ...and made the mat edge slippery if it tore off.
    - The Barkeepers Friend didn't work here, but it worked really well to remove silicone I had scraped down thin during the AR230's intake duct reseal. Maybe the traction grit was causing issues? It is still the non-soap cleaner that I use the most on the boat.
    - I might still try an eraser wheel if this becomes too tedious (some complain of burning their gelcoat, but I'll chalk that up to user error).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Beachbummer

Beachbummer Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +710 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CrankyGypsy

Ratings:
    +220 / 13
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    Well...
    The pink eraser worked great on the small areas I had remaining on the swim platform. But after lunch, I started working on the helm and decided to order the wheel @Beachbummer mentioned.
    I swear it was working way better earlier today! haha.

Overall, I think the pink eraser is about as fast as the chemicals, but with way less mess. It does require a lot of elbow grease, though. Guess it'll work in spots I can't get the eraser into.

4. Mainah

Mainah Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    What a timely post. I am replacing some seadeck after three seasons because we love our dogs to boat with us and after installing a new side accessory set could see the wear and color difference. We also had the parabolic effect in the bow. Just one question on the wheel. There are two kinds ... one smooth and softer looking one from 3m amd another that looks like a paddle wheel with many differnt brands stmped on it. Which one did you guys use and which one would you buy if had to do it again?

5. buckbuck

buckbuck Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,067 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Hey @CrankyGypsy Glad to have you back. It has been awhile.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsar240

Bearsar240 Active Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I used this one from Napa. Screenshot_20190109-175618_Gallery.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Beachbummer

Ratings:
    +710 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
  8. CrankyGypsy

Ratings:
    +220 / 13
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    I ordered the ABN and will post my experience here.

9. Beachbummer

Ratings:
    +710 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I don't want to overhype it, but it's a before and after tool for the job you are doing. Like a chop saw vs a hand saw for wood work...the magnitude of the assistance it provides is impressive!!!!

10. Mainah

Mainah Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    I ordered the whizzy wheel, pink erasers, and a natural rubber belt sander eraser. Going to pull up the seadek, then pressure wash, then use rubber tools, then goo gone, then simple green, and finally acetone to prep for the new SeaDek. Will ise rubber wheel like for tint to press down the new seadek.

11. Sbrown

Sbrown Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +664 / 3
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    If you really want to "get 'er done!"
    [​IMG]

12. WilCo

WilCo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 6
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    To give everyone a visual. See photo after probably a 1 minute pass with the drill eraser.

Wow! Wish I had tried this earlier.
    I used a drywall spatula to lift the majority of the pad but it left a lot of residue. The eraser takes it off with ease.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1