• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

clarion M502

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, need some help. Had the boat out on the water today running good feeling good, docked it, turned off the radio, came back an hour later and I cant get my head unit to come on, acting like it has not power. I checked the 15 fuse thats behind the radio, seems fine. No noticeable wiring issues. Any of you guys have any experience with this happening?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Stock single battery and switch? Have you checked and made sure the harness is connected behind the radio? Do you have a voltmeter or test light to check for power and ground at radio harness?

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stock single battery and switch? Have you checked and made sure the harness is connected behind the radio? Do you have a voltmeter or test light to check for power and ground at radio hardness?
Yes stock single battery and switch,
boat has full power otherwise, I checked all connections behind the radio everything seems in order. I will have to get a voltmeter and check

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about a test light to ensure you're getting power at radio from harness? Does the radio have a detachable face?

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ya I'll have to scrounge up a test light and check it, what's weird us it was working fine all day and even after I docked it. It wasn't until I went to turn it back on that it was unresponsive. I was hoping it was something that was a well known issue since I know these head units are not everyone's favorite

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with that model as I have the M505. Is there a function/power button you have to hold for a few seconds to turn it on? Maybe try holding it on for longer to see if some sort of factory reset happens. It does seem strange it just stopped working after you docked but that's electronics for ya.

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with that model as I have the M505. Is there a function/power button you have to hold for a few seconds to turn it on? Maybe try holding it on for longer to see if some sort of factory reset happens. It does seem strange it just stopped working after you docked but that's electronics for ya.
The M502 has a single button for all operations, it's a pain

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well hopefully some of the other guys familiar with that unit will chime in. @DBamaC any ideas?

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I recommend that you disconnect the harness, unscrew the hardware holding the radio in the fiberglass and chunk that POS into the nearest lake. I seriously hate those radios. Mine is not so bad now that I have a remote to work it and only use it to play music off an old iPod, but they still suck.

Sorry, I have no other recommendations.

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha, I hear you I don't mind it too much because I just use my phone and Spotify but unfortunately the button that power is it on is not working I will keep you guys updated once I get a chance to test it out

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had an issue once with mine....I installed an extra power line to the batteries to keep the presets set even when the battery switch was off. I accidentally connected that to the ground not + and the stereo wouldn't turn on. Don't think this is your issue as you said you'd not mucked with it and it HAD been working.

I hated the Clarion M502....really annoying!!! I had to write a cheat sheet on the sequence of button presses to get to the freakin fader control!!!

Let us know if there is power to the unit...if so....then it is either fried or the fuse in the back of the unit is indeed shot.

texmo02

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I happen to be selling my M502 - everything still works. Ebay auction ends Sunday if you want.

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok guys, I took my light tester down to the boat today and the radio has power, fuse is still good. Looks like a new radio is in my future. I was thinking the M505 for a replacement, assuming would be plug and play?

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update, installed the M505. It is a WAY better head unit. Better Bluetooth connectivity, better sound, way easier to use. Happy my old one crapped out

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Wish I was as lucky to have mine crap out on me....Then it would justify me buying a new one and not "spending too much on the toys". Dang wife....always getting in the way of the fun stuff

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wish I was as lucky to have mine crap out on me....Then it would justify me buying a new one and not "spending too much on the toys". Dang wife....always getting in the way of the fun stuff
Haha...I hear ya, have to say, I'm glad mine crapped out!