• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug doesn't fit

Chad Sears

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just purchased a new AR 195. Took it out on the water Saturday to break it in and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get over 10 mph. Finally remember to check the plug and it was not locked into place. Spent a ton of time on the water trying to get it to lock in only to find out what I thought was a good seal wasn't. At about 7000 rpm it broke free and busted the latches on the cover and killed the engine and broke the piston holding it up. I was able to get it lodged in place a tiny bit again but can't get it all the way locked. I have an appt to get it into the dealer over an hour away next week, but i was curious if anyone else was having any problems with the plug not fitting in the tracks to lock into place on their boats?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a new AR 195. Took it out on the water Saturday to break it in and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get over 10 mph. Finally remember to check the plug and it was not locked into place. Spent a ton of time on the water trying to get it to lock in only to find out what I thought was a good seal wasn't. At about 7000 rpm it broke free and busted the latches on the cover and killed the engine and broke the piston holding it up. I was able to get it lodged in place a tiny bit again but can't get it all the way locked. I have an appt to get it into the dealer over an hour away next week, but i was curious if anyone else was having any problems with the plug not fitting in the tracks to lock into place on their boats?
WOW. Sorry to hear that.
So much for an "improvement" the new plug turn-to-lock design was supposed to be...
Do you have pictures?

EDIT: Sorry about the circumstances, but welcome to the community!

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Chad Sears "Blowouts" used to be a somewhat common problem for our boats. Yamaha did a complete redesign of the plug to address the problem. Just curious, did your dealer demonstrate how to seat the plug? I have only seen the new plugs at the boat show and have no experience with them on the water. That's a terrible thing to have happen on your first trip out. You're in the right place for support and advice. Lots of knowledge around here.

Chad Sears

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yes I have played with it a few times at the dealer and boat show. The plug just won't turn. I can see where the posts are rubbing the track. I think I either have a defective track or plug. I was wondering if it was isolated or maybe like a larger recall issue.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but on the old style plugs, the release has to be pushed while the plug is being seated. Is it the same on the new ones, where the release has to be pushed for the plug to twist?

Also, not overly helpful to your current situation, but you have a perfect excuse to install "slam-latches" on the hatch. http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/2-Non-Locking-Slam (Note, I'm not sure about the size)

Chad Sears

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, but on the old style plugs, the release has to be pushed while the plug is being seated. Is it the same on the new ones, where the release has to be pushed for the plug to twist?

Also, not overly helpful to your current situation, but you have a perfect excuse to install "slam-latches" on the hatch. http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/2-Non-Locking-Slam (Note, I'm not sure about the size)
There is not a button on the new plugs. There is a tab that lines up with the word set on the plug and then the metal tabs slide in their spot. The set tab makes sure that it can only go in one way. They then turn to lock in place. It is about a 1/3 turn to lock into place but mine will only turn a few degrees and just barely wedges into to the slot.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My bad. I thought there was still a "lock/unlock". I didn't realize it was just the tab.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
hmmmm

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Took a little playing for me to get comfortable with the new plugs when I was testing them. I can't imagine why it wouldn't lock in....will be curious to see what the end issue turns out to be!

Buoy23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you located? From the looks of your profile picture you have snow? If i'm correct and you had your boat out in very cold water than this could have affected your plug locking into position. Just a guess though! Good luck and hopefully the dealer will get you fixed up.

Chad Sears

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Where are you located? From the looks of your profile picture you have snow? If i'm correct and you had your boat out in very cold water than this could have affected your plug locking into position. Just a guess though! Good luck and hopefully the dealer will get you fixed up.
The water was 42 degrees not what I would consider very could. I am in the Seattle Tacoma area of Washington State. We got like 10 inches of snow the day after i brought her home. It was a crazy weird fluke. Usually we get an inch or two a year.

I take the boat into the dealer on Tuesday of next week and I will update when I know what the issue is. I really think it will be either a defective plug or the track inside.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had to mess with my plug to get it to lock. The handle spins a 1/2 inch on top of the plug. If that handle is turned the wrong way it doesn't want to enter the locking track.

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The water was 42 degrees not what I would consider very cold.
That is just a few degrees above freezing. Certainly not pleasure boating weather.
Remember that metal contracts in cold temperatures. Perhaps the plugs were never tested in these conditions.

Chad Sears

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That is just a few degrees above freezing. Certainly not pleasure boating weather.
Remember that metal contracts in cold temperatures. Perhaps the plugs were never tested in these conditions.
Thanks for the information. I will see if I can get the plug today now that it has been out of the water for a few days.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I played with mine a few times to make sure it was seated. Had to push it in to get the locks to engage and then push to get out. Spread marine grease around the edges of the plug like instructed and had no problems. Very nice design compared to the old one. Fewer moving parts.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you get an answer to this problem? I initially had a problem getting the plug to lock before I realized that you have to align the arrow with the word "set" on the plug before inserting it so the tabs line up inside the port. Once I figured this out I have had no problems & there's a definitive "snap" when it locks. Best of luck!

Buoy23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes we are all curious to know what the issue was. Thanks

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
let me know if you need another twist latch... i replaced mine with slam latches and still have the originals

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Interesting. I don't push the release button when installing the plugs.