• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clean Out Plugs Don't Twist

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2018 242Xe - I don't have a problem pulling the plugs in and out as seems to be a common problem. My issue is the twisting mechanism once the plug is seated in place. The twisting lock/unluck is no issue out of the hole. It seems as if the metal tongue dent fit in the groove very well...? Could be growth?

I want to get to the bottom of this before wording any rebuild kit. If my issues is the twisting mechanism, not the in/out, is it likely it is not the parts that come in the rebuild?

Thanks all!

Spray it down with silicone ?

Mine got very difficult to twist once, I sprayed them liberally with silicone spray and they worked great again.

Last edited:
Good luck identifying and resolving your issue. FYI - I have both clean out plugs from a 2017 at 240 for sale. Start a convo with me if you’re interested in them.

It does move, is it possible that it somehow shifts when you're putting it back in? Maybe catching and shifting on you?

the boat is on the trailer so i have great access/view. With my finger I can run through the grooves they seem clear. The tongues are smooth. The plugs go in smoothly straight up and down (aligned correctly in unlock position) and the springs work good i can easily spring push them down. Damn things just won’t twist to lock! Im going to try silicone tomorrow happy to hear any other insight!

How new is your boat? Mine is a 22 and I feel like mine are really tight as well.

18 first season 19. I just want to be sure the tebuild kit is not my solution.

I second the silicone spray.

Hose clamps could be misaligned on the bottom and catching the tabs on the plug against the rubber of the hose.

Out if curiosity - what hose clamps? Plugs go in and sit snug. Metal tabs should slide in to metal grooves?

Sorry - hose clamp outside the tube under the cleanout tray. There are gaps in that metal fitting your plug tabs slide into and the clamp could be pressing the rubber in a little extra in those areas.

Edit: I’m probably not explaining great. There’s a 6” diameter hose clamp holding the tube you slide your plug through onto the metal port you lock the plug into. It’s probably a little crooked or mispositioned and pinching the tube against your plug tabs since there’s not any metal in between the outside of the tabs and the rubber tube.

Last edited:
Out if curiosity - what hose clamps? Plugs go in and sit snug. Metal tabs should slide in to metal grooves?

Here's what @AZMark is referring to - another good suggestion to check on these, as it doesn't take much to tighten the clamps too much.

The green arrow points to where your plug screws into, as you can see those threads. That pink area shows the clamps used to hold the cleanout port tubes in place, one on the base, and one for the underside of the cleanout tray. To access them on your boat, the hatch on the cleanout tray should allow you to see in there, but getting to that bottom clamp if it needs adjustment, will be far easier to just remove the cleanout tray - loosen both top clamps, work something between the rubber tubes and the flanges on the underside of the cleanout tray until the silicone gives up its grip, and pull off the tray.

None of that has to be done if it seems fine topside. This is just a suggestion of something to check that might be causing your issue. If the plug goes down to the bottom with no issues other than you can't turn it, then this might not be the droid you're looking for. Take pics for us. Plugs in position, sides of the plugs when removed, metal flanges down in the tubes where you're having the issue, etc. The more the merrier, something may be visible for someone that has had issues before.

IMG_20210611_160118063_HDR.jpg

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :D

The rubber ring on the side is what you want to silicone. If that works, you might want to consider the rebuild kit. Check the "skirt" on that rubber seal, see if it's kinked or off in any way. With the small clearances there, that rubber would likely give you fits if it's not seating properly, and unfortunately, they don't just sell that little piece of rubber, you've gotta buy the whole friggen rebuild kit.

If someone could figure out a way to make those for a reasonable price, there wouldn't be a reason to trash the rest of a perfectly good plug. Dunno if silicone molding would be cost-efficient, or if it would stand up to the job required, but for what they charge for the rebuild kit, I'd think $25-30 apiece would be the target price.

IMG_20210417_143430946_HDR.jpg

Here's what @AZMark is referring to - another good suggestion to check on these, as it doesn't take much to tighten the clamps too much.

The green arrow points to where your plug screws into, as you can see those threads. That pink area shows the clamps used to hold the cleanout port tubes in place, one on the base, and one for the underside of the cleanout tray. To access them on your boat, the hatch on the cleanout tray should allow you to see in there, but getting to that bottom clamp if it needs adjustment, will be far easier to just remove the cleanout tray - loosen both top clamps, work something between the rubber tubes and the flanges on the underside of the cleanout tray until the silicone gives up its grip, and pull off the tray.

None of that has to be done if it seems fine topside. This is just a suggestion of something to check that might be causing your issue. If the plug goes down to the bottom with no issues other than you can't turn it, then this might not be the droid you're looking for. Take pics for us. Plugs in position, sides of the plugs when removed, metal flanges down in the tubes where you're having the issue, etc. The more the merrier, something may be visible for someone that has had issues before.

View attachment 197600
Yep that’s the clamp I’m talking about. Here’s the other part I’m trying to describe.
This is the slot your metal tabs lock into and the clamp is wrapped around the outside right in that same area. The outer edge of the tabs can bind on the rubber.

5B895203-AC8F-4CDA-B118-A9BC96409B32.jpegDB1516BC-E914-464F-871F-FD5DFA10C424.jpeg

@AZMark those are some really good pics - might need to open them in another tab or download them - I couldn't tell on my phone what that was, but on a PC, much better and able to manipulate them to a fullscreen to see. That little bit of rubber doesn't look like much, but friction does tend to increase

When you spray the silicone, use the straw that comes on the can and spray liberally into those areas. That’s the bearing surface between the plug and the twisty handle. When mine got difficult to twist I sprayed this area as well as the seal and the difference was day & night.

7DCD102A-57C2-448B-A556-7F64D6666E31.jpeg
Photo courtesy Drewkaree

Sorry - hose clamp outside the tube under the cleanout tray. There are gaps in that metal fitting your plug tabs slide into and the clamp could be pressing the rubber in a little extra in those areas.

Edit: I’m probably not explaining great. There’s a 6” diameter hose clamp holding the tube you slide your plug through onto the metal port you lock the plug into. It’s probably a little crooked or mispositioned and pinching the tube against your plug tabs since there’s not any metal in between the outside of the tabs and the rubber tube.

I might be crazy but there are no hoses or house clamps that I can see anywhere around the plugs, ports, or tray.

When you spray the silicone, use the straw that comes on the can and spray liberally into those areas. That’s the bearing surface between the plug and the twisty handle. When mine got difficult to twist I sprayed this area as well as the seal and the difference was day & night.

View attachment 197714
Photo courtesy Drewkaree

minetwist fine when not in the port. Twist from set to lock no problem. Just wont twist to lock when seated in place.

sprayed silicone everywhere.

View attachment 197600

twist fine when out, no twist when seated. Tried different levels of pushing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 15
I can't tell if it's the lube that's on there, or if the rubber ring is shot, but that area looks lumpy, for lack of a better term. Is that pic from AFTER you sprayed down the rubber with silicone spray, or before? Wipe it down and show us a pic - at this point, it looks like the rubber ring is giving up the ghost, but troubleshooting without knowing what you've done is difficult without knowing what's been done to this point, as to the shape they're in.

I see your can of spray there. Did you spray them and then take that shot? Is that shot from directly removing them, and you've not done anything to them just yet?

IMG_6575.jpeg

there was some grease on it from troubleshooting last year. It just feels like metal hitting metal as i twist to lock - may moves free a 1/4 inch then just stops exactly as if the tongue doesn’t fit in the groove. IMG_6575.jpegIMG_6576.jpegIMG_6577.jpegIMG_6578.jpegIMG_6579.jpegIMG_6581.jpegIMG_6582.jpeg

Back