• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Port Question?

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Everyone!
Is it normal when reaching down in the clean out ports that you are able to twist the impeller shaft left to right?

Reason I ask is my Port side engine is stiff and cannot be twisted but starboard is able and seems to have play. Did something loosen? What are the first things to check? Removal of entire jet pump housing needed?

Appreciate the help in advance!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've never noticed my shafts being able to move at all. That sounds strange. Wonder if you have a bad intermediate or cone bearing?
I replaced the housings last season with new liners and re greased the cones on both. This was the first time I had to clean out the ports since some weeds wrapped around the shafts on both and when pulling it off I decided to see if I can twist it and sure enough the play surprised me. Definitely strange. Any bearings to check within the engine bay first before yanking the entire pumps out? Any suggestions?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would look at the intermediate bearings while the boat is in the water and see if they are leaking at all. Eyeball the cone bearings.

I'm curious what others think too....this is a curious one

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would look at the intermediate bearings while the boat is in the water and see if they are leaking at all. Eyeball the cone bearings.

I'm curious what others think too....this is a curious one
I went out to the boat and did some further Investigating and found the shaft coupler or rubber shaft coupling below the plastic case/housing. Would this be of immediate concern? Anyone have experience with this having play?

Part numbers:
6AP-4581J-00-00
6S5-G5593-00-00

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is your vibration dampener you probably should have replaced it when you did the intermediate bearing but depending on it's condition it probably won't harm anything as long as it is in one piece

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is your vibration dampener you probably should have replaced it when you did the intermediate bearing but depending on it's condition it probably won't harm anything as long as it is in one piece
Thanks, will keep an eye on it. I'll add another part to to the list when the next big maintenance work is performed 😉

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you found it. I would check the alignment at the coupler. The engine shaft and driveshaft should be very closely aligned. It seems to be wearing away. I think it should be replaced. Compare it to the other one!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like you found it. I would check the alignment at the coupler. The engine shaft and driveshaft should be very closely aligned. It seems to be wearing away. I think it should be replaced. Compare it to the other one!
Hi following up on this thread as I also have slightly play in my shaft/impeller. Did it end up being the coupler? Did you replace it yourself?