• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug warning....

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I keep my boat in the water July - Sept. Before every use I pull the cleanout plugs and put them back in, just to keep them free. 4 years strong and never an issue....until the other day. Son tossed a shoe....full of sand...(insert choice words) onto the aft swim deck. We were in a rush and I used a bucket of water to rinse the sand off....but I heard the water drain into the tray with the cleanout plugs, but ignored it and figured I would deal with it later.

Two days later I went to use the boat, starboard clean out plug took every bit of my strength to free and you could tell it was jammed from the sand. Port clean out plug would not move with my hand or with two people pulling above with rope. I am going to have to haul and bring it to my shop and use the chain host to free it.

So...lesson learned....should have pulled the plugs after the rinse. For others.....if ANY sand gets on the deck and your rinse it....pull your plugs and make sure it is clean! It only took a matter of hours for ours to get stuck. I have a complete spare set of plugs on board and a set of rebuild kits at home as well.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine was stuck earlier this year and I was able to wrap a rope around it and using a four or five foot long 2x4 was able to free it. The added leverage of the wood was enough to do it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pull my plugs after every outing and rinse thoroughly and shake the extra water out of the plugs. I then leave the plugs out till the next boating day, although I trailer my boat. The worst time to have your plugs not being able to come is when you need them to on the water and in a situation where you have no other choice. I also lubricate them with pool gasket lube every other outing.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Mine were stuck when I bought the boat, knew going into the sale. Chain hoist freed them....after it lifted the hull a bit! I usually pull them at the end of the day as well but there was a thunderstorm moving in and neglected that day, go figure.

I might bring a pipe and a board to see what I can do this week when I fill it with fuel. Do not want to haul unless I have to.

I rebuild one set every year, cheap money, no reason not to have it done.

I was just amazed a small about of sand and 24 hours resulted in stuck plugs.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Used a 2 x 4 - board to protect the padding - ski rope - lifting from the boat would not do it. Had to back it onto the beach and lift from the side for more leverage - took a number of lifts, leaning the boat considerably to finally pop it free. I was about to give up and get the trailer to haul it when it finally let go.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
my dealer told me last week when i picked up my boat to remove it everytime we get out of the water. i noticed we had about 4" of water at least in the opening when i took it out. is that normal? it was also hard to turn to get it open

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is common to have water above the plug, no concern there.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
my dealer told me last week when i picked up my boat to remove it everytime we get out of the water. i noticed we had about 4" of water at least in the opening when i took it out. is that normal? it was also hard to turn to get it open
As mentioned, it's normal to have water above the plugs - it washes up over the swim platform when you slow down quickly. I found if I slow down and just before the wake wave hits, give it a gentle nudge of throttle to keep the wave back, my plugs are virtually dry end of day. Now that my cleanout tray is sealed up, no need to do that and the hull is dry.

Note that silicone spray is your best friend on the plugs - I give them a quick spray before putting them back in for the week waiting to go out next weekend. They turn and slide out smooth as butter. I also spray the cable ends for the buckets and steering to help keep them lubed and water resistant once a week.

When you turn the plugs, make sure you press down on them as you turn and they turn easily about 45 degrees, and they pull right out. There's a detent in the locking mechanism that helps hold them straight.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, it's normal to have water above the plugs - it washes up over the swim platform when you slow down quickly. I found if I slow down and just before the wake wave hits, give it a gentle nudge of throttle to keep the wave back, my plugs are virtually dry end of day. Now that my cleanout tray is sealed up, no need to do that and the hull is dry.

Note that silicone spray is your best friend on the plugs - I give them a quick spray before putting them back in for the week waiting to go out next weekend. They turn and slide out smooth as butter. I also spray the cable ends for the buckets and steering to help keep them lubed and water resistant once a week.

When you turn the plugs, make sure you press down on them as you turn and they turn easily about 45 degrees, and they pull right out. There's a detent in the locking mechanism that helps hold them straight.
Exactly what we were told at check-out this weekend. Remove after use which I see is also what the manual recommends. They also recommended silicone lube around the seal and basically any accessible moving part.

Found out last night about pushing down on them. I was trying to pull the starboard plug and it seemed stuck. My son started on the port plug and got it within a few seconds and said you just need to press down on it and turn.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Exactly what we were told at check-out this weekend. Remove after use which I see is also what the manual recommends. They also recommended silicone lube around the seal and basically any accessible moving part.

Found out last night about pushing down on them. I was trying to pull the starboard plug and it seemed stuck. My son started on the port plug and got it within a few seconds and said you just need to press down on it and turn.
is there a particular silicone lube for the clean out port we should be using? if i recall the guy at the shop said vasaline, i dunno about using that. if its fine ill roll with it.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use yamalube silicone spray, but any should do

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
makes sense. lol thanks.
You can use Yamalube, or save a few bucks and hit any auto parts store - they will have cans of silicone spray. I figure a can should last a year or two for a few bucks. Quick and simple protection.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pool Gasket Lubricant works fantastic, I prefer it over the Yamalube for this application. I also use it on all my drain plugs including keel. Works great. Although I use Yamalube spray for other things.

Here is an example.

The unique formula is waterproof, odorless, non-toxic, non-staining, non-flammable, non-corrosive, non-rusting and biodegradable.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
is there a particular silicone lube for the clean out port we should be using? if i recall the guy at the shop said vasaline, i dunno about using that. if its fine ill roll with it.
Do not use Vaseline. It’s petroleum based and will damage or swell the rubber seal.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AZMark I believe that applies to things made from Natural rubber which I doubt anything on the boat is. That is a carry over. Although I still wouldn't use it personally.

milktoast

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just replaced my rubber gasket and lower half on my cleanout plug. 2014 AR192.

They had gotten impossible to get out without a strap and leverage and putting them in requires lightly banging on a piece of PVC with side of hammer..

Rebuild went well. Definitely the right parts. Also scrubbed the hole with scotchbrite pad and some bar keepers friend.

After rebuild they are still just as hard to get in and out. That last half inch is impossible to do by hand. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions?

Moored wet June - Sept every year since 2014. Prior owner didn't remove plug ever. I've been removing it every winter since 2018.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I believe it is also recommended to insert plug while trailering, just fyi

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any suggestions?
Yes. Take pics of your plug and post them so that you aren't getting ideas that don't apply to your plugs.

My plugs are a completely different design than the OP's. It's great advice, no matter which type of plug you have, but I don't have many of the issues his type of plug has, and the advice I might have could be completely worthless and potentially harmful to his/your style of plug, so SHOW people what you're dealing with - sometimes the pic can show installation errors to someone who knows what they're looking at as well.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors thanks for the lube suggestion on plugs.. I rebuilt mine last season as both plugs were probably original and nearly impossible to get seated. After rebuild so much better, but that last half inch is still fun. Maybe this lube will help a bit. Thanks!