• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout tray caulk

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So i pulled out the cleanout tray on my 2020 242SE as part of my trim tab installation and observed how poorly the caulk had been laid. I suspect this has significantly contributed to water in the bilge and want to put things back together properly.

What sort of caulk should I be using, it looks like silicon, but I’m not sure.

Thanks!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any bathroom caulk will work. I’m going to start using removable caulk because it seems I’m working in the bilge annually.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome. I have tubes of that laying around everywhere!

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put the tray down, screw it in and then just run a bead of caulk right around the seam. It doesn’t have to be fancy or pretty it just has to keep water from going into the bilge

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did mine last year with some DAP latex sealant, and once it got hot and wet, it turned to mushy goo. Had to redo it with silicone, and it‘s held up well since then.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess the only thing I didn't like about it, and I did this last year, was when I had to pull off that panel for transducer, trim tabs, etc. The silicone was a PITA to get off the gel coat. It came off real nice of the panel itself. I used Acetone, Mineral Spirits, DeBond, A scrubby wheel, plastic scraper and a razor blade. It took forever. Also I noticed that if you do just do it around the outside, like did originally, it gets dirty and impossible to keep clean and looks rough. At least for me. So what I did this time when I sealed it up, was to put a thin bead under the panel, and put a bit extra where it went down on the aft side. I then pushed it down good and barely any came out, so the dirt isn't going to collect on the caulk and be unsightly. I used a white 30 year silicone.

Just some of my ramblings on the topic.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m using what I have laying around also until it’s exhausted & then using this
DAP® Seal 'N Peel® Crystal Clear All Season Removable Weatherstrip Sealant - 10.1 oz. at Menards
https://www.menards.com/main/p-105478664484.htm
I like that idea, I just pulled my panel over the weekend and reluctant to re-seal because I am going to take it off again some time.
Menards never been to one they opened one up in Michigan right after I moved to Georgia. My old MI drinking buddies really like them. They talk about Menard like Georgians talk about Chick-fil-A 😎

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They talk about Menard like Georgians talk about Chick-fil-A 😎
I live in Wisconsin, and we have Menards all over the place here. I also used to work for Chick-fil-A many moons ago, I've been to Georgia, that's darn near blasphemy sir!

Either your friends have not had Chick-fil-A, to know just how much better it is than Menards, or it could be, they just don't know how wrong they are

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A lot haven't had Chick-fil-A, as a matter of fact a buddy and his family came to visit us last year and that was one of the things they wanted to try. He said " I want to try this Chick-fil-A everyone is always clucking about" they liked it but were more impressed with the service and cleanliness of the facility.