• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Close to pulling the trigger on an FSH Sport, any tips?

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello everyone. We are noobs to owning a boat as we always relied on our friends to take us out. The wife says no more and wants her own boat. I was set on an a 22ft. Sea Hunt with a yamaha 200 outboard when I saw this boat sitting at the local yamaha dealer. First thought was I'm not buying a jet boat and it's too small. We got into the boat for a little bit and I changed my mind. It's a well thought out boat. She absolutely loves it so I think it is time. Any tips on buying one new from the dealer? Can we negotiate? Should I get accessories installed there pre delivery? Also I see a lot of people in here from our area in Clearwater. Any problems running around the Gulf and inter coastal? Everyone tells me I'll just be sucking up stuff all day long with a jet boat. I think not. Thanks in advance for any info

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Nctinter which sea hunt were you looking at and what do you think your primary use of the boat will be? Do you think you will spend most your time in the gulf or offshore or primarily the ICW and inland waterways? Most Yamaha current year models have little room on negotiations may 1-2k on a fsh sport. If your in a really weedy area you could have some issues sucking stuff up but honestly most of us don't have any issues.

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Robert. I was looking at the Ultra 22.5 ft. Wasn't limiting myself to that but I have friends that have them and they're quality boats. I think primarily the use is why we have chosen this boat. Most likely a good split of fishing and pleasure boating. We aren't too interested in going out 25 miles. We do love fishing but it isn't going to be the determining factor for the boat. If it were i think we'd be looking more around 25ft. Riding to the islands, camping with our 2 teenagers, It will mostly be inland water and ICW. we'd like to be able to trailer it to the keys once a year. Stuff like that. Honestly my wife will probably get more use out of it than me as she works 3 days a week. So having something she feels comfortable driving is also a plus. In the end it will really be her boat. But I'm sure I'll be taking care of it lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Robert. I was looking at the Ultra 22.5 ft. Wasn't limiting myself to that but I have friends that have them and they're quality boats. I think primarily the use is why we have chosen this boat. Most likely a good split of fishing and pleasure boating. We aren't too interested in going out 25 miles. We do love fishing but it isn't going to be the determining factor for the boat. If it were i think we'd be looking more around 25ft. Riding to the islands, camping with our 2 teenagers, It will mostly be inland water and ICW. we'd like to be able to trailer it to the keys once a year. Stuff like that. Honestly my wife will probably get more use out of it than me as she works 3 days a week. So having something she feels comfortable driving is also a plus. In the end it will really be her boat. But I'm sure I'll be taking care of it lol
@Nctinter Welcome! I wonder if you have had a chance to ride one of those, yet. There is a couple of features that may not be immediately apparent, even for long time boaters. I love those boats and don't see myself switching any time soon, but just for your consideration:
If you plan to wet slip, particularly in salt, I would go with an outboard for sure (over jet propulsion).
These boats are noisy, and it can be really off-putting to some. You can do some sound deadening, and it will help, but these boats are kind of loud, although they are getting better from factory each year.
I'm sure you know about handling quirks, like - must have thrust to turn or go strait - it takes some practice. Once mastered - it's awesome. But I would make sure wife knows what she is getting into. Fins help a lot, I personally like Cobras.

Beyond that, there are many, many advantages, and the space inside those 19fters is bigger than in many 25' boats. Super easy to trailer!

--

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Overall I really like our jet boat but there are two circumstances where our FSH absolutely sucks. If you are planning to fish solo, alone without someone with you, in any kind of current then this is not the boat for you. If you are going to be boating with any kind of serious waves then this is not the boat for you. Large chop and solo fishing are not compatible with this jet boat. Other than that, my wife and I absolutely love our jet boat. Great room, easy to store, super low cost to own, great in shallow water, I could go on and on about the benefits. The boat is a little underpowered, terrible in choppy waves, and is impossible to fish solo with any kind of current if you're trying to maintain control of the boat and fish at the same time.....

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you guys very much for the insight. The boat will be in a high and dry. The noise factor is an issue. Another advantage to a newer outboard, they're very quiet. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. We are gonna go on a sea trial so we will see. Softballbryan, I was hoping to hear it could handle chop better than that. Those are some big concerns. I too wish it was a little more powerful. How is it with 4 adults on the boat? Comfortable?

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Love our boat. Cons are a bit noisy, but so was my last boat with a 225 2 stroke....and a bit under powered in my opinion. But if using it like we do, ICW trips for lunch at some local restaurants and days at the island you cant beat it as the power is sufficient. I was looking at a 19' Pioneer myself. Honestly my heart was on the Pioneer, but for practical reasons including price, especially with Yamaha financing, ease of getting on and off at the islands where we mainly use the boat, and most of all cost of maintenance I went with my head instead of my heart. I also have a special needs daughter and it is hard for her to get on/off the boat at the island or docs so this boat solves that problem. I have no regrets. When I look at other boats this size, they don't seem to have all of the conveniences this one has. The boat works great for this area. Have the DLX model with the Cycle Springs Saltwater series t-top. Cycle Springs also gives a lifetime warranty on the engine after the factory warranty runs out. Maintenance is oil changes only.....much less than other boats. You are local tome. PM me if you want and Ill give you my number. I will answer any questions you have and give my opinions.

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Boat is comfortable with 4 adults. has plenty of room. I feel it handles chop ok. Last 3 times I went out not even a drop of water inside the boat. Don't be mistaken, it is not an offshore boat. If its blowing over 10mph I wont go out anyway, even with my last boat, 20' Hydrasport. Have 17 hours on mine. Sucked up weeds 3 times. All idling in channel when I was not paying attention. Has not been a problem at all. Also great for running around this area. Shallow waters. I follow a friend a lot who has years of experience boating in this area. We get shallow enough where he is churning up bottom, no worries on my end. Would definitely get accessories at purchace. Cycle Springs didn't even charge me to install some accessories I provided them.

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Boat is underpowered for four adult men in the waterways around ocean city Maryland. In the end you are comparing apples to oranges in the two boats youve mentioned. 3 feet and hundreds of pounds makes for different rides.... what's the difference in price?

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Do not ever buy any boat without first going out on a Sea Trial and one that's not of the dealers choice. Make it as realistic as to your use. If you are trailering the boat, then by all means put the boat on the trailer and attach it to your tow truck/suv and go launch it. You do not want to be surprised after the purchase. Spend time with each. The is no perfect boat, just one that is less perfect than another. And that changes over time as well. But never, ever buy a boat without a sea trial.

The only thing to consider that has financial impact is resale. Of course the Sea Hunt 22 Ultra will have better resale value if not just for the fact it's more traditional of a boat.

Captain Chet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Nctinter I purchased a FSH sport and was in almost your identical position. I was looking at center consoles with a traditional outboard. I boat in west palm beach/broward area.

I saw the FSH and thought it was a great buy for the $ and thought it would suffice.

All I'm going to say is that after 8 months of owning the FSH, I sold it, took a huge loss, and purchased a proper saltwater center console.

That was my horrendous experience only. Many others on this site love their FSH. User your own judgement.
I remember reading your experience here on the forum. It's why I'm suggesting, strongly, to take a serious sea trial and it's why I'm not the owner of an FSH. It's certainly works for some and that's great. Being happy is what boating is about after all.

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would love love love love a 22ft fsh with twin motors.....

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks again everyone for the shared knowledge. I can already tell this is a great forum. The manager at Cycle Springs said it is very likely Yamaha will be planning a 22 or 24ft. Dual motor center console but it's not in the pipeline just yet. I saw the DLX with that ttop and it is pretty impressive. @SoftballBryan, the cost difference is significant. More then 20k, which would be my max budget. I am apprehensive about spending that much money on a boat as it is but it is in discussion. Remember this is our first boat, don't want to get over zealous. @Captain Chet are you saying you took the fsh out on sea trial and decided it wasn't for you? And yes we have already talked to the guy at the dealer to set up a sea trial when we are ready

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Again, we love our boat but you need to know what you're going do with the boat. It's a super fun boat to drive, like a little sports car, but like a sports car it's no good in rougher environments.... just think about what you're going to do and get the boat that works...

Like has been said here, you may have to sacrifice here and there some...

Sea trials with all people involved, family, is very important... have fun with it... it can be an enjoyable process...

All the best partner....

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've had mine for over 100 hours and 1.5 year, and this is my take:
The boat is like a swiss army knife, can be used in different scenarios but will never be the knife of choise for a specific situation.
This boat is like having a step up from a flat bay boat that can handle 4 adults confortable.
Top speed with 4 adults half a fuel tank is about 35 Mph.
You dont want to be out there with waves over 2 feet, can be done, but not confortable.
I was in the market for a flat or bay boat that could fit inside my garage, and this one fit my needs.
We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 small kids) and we fit confortable.
Have done deep sea, trolling, inshore fishing, scuba/snorkel with no issues.
But this boat in no means is a tournament boat that you will take out fishing in any type of weather.

As for your wife being the one driving it, you must know that these boats have a learning curve in driving them, not like an outboard, they steer and track differently. Not hard to learn or impossible but different, you can find tons of good videos on how to steer, load and unload on Youtube were you can learn, but please consider this with your wife, as my wife does not like to steer the boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new Sea Hunts are very nice. I'm in the market for a new boat now and if I had my choice it would be the Sea Hunt Edge 24 or the Gamefish 25 but the family hates both lol. So I will likely end up with a AR240 or a Sea Ray 270 SD. If it were me and I lived in Florida it would be the the 22ft Sea Hunt all day if the wife is cool with it. The FSH I'm sure is a fine boat but I would imagine you would be in a similar situation as @ClemsonTiger was and that is wanting to upgrade in a year or two and losing a little money. I agree with what he said buy your second boat first get the Sea hunt it may not be the jack of all trades a FSH will be but it will be really good of most of the things you want it for and you will be happy with it likely for years to come instead of looking to upgrade in a few years.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Absolutely Love my FSH!! I trailer it to keys often fish 5-10 miles out in Atlantic and handles the water well. Take it 15 to 20 miles off coast in Clearwater many of times and handles like a dream! No regrets!!!

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Corey I also live in Trinity. Do you trailer your boat or have it at a marina?