• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coating on Intake Duct and Plate

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently bought this 2016 sx240 used. I was just looking closer at the bottom of the boat and I noticed that Intake Duct and Plate seem to be just shinny metal. If my memory serves me correctly, I thought these pieces had some kind of paint or coating on them. Did this change in 2016? Can someone with a 2016 sx240 let me know what their plates look like.... Thanks

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know they used to be painted...then there were complaints from owners about the paint peeling off....so perhaps they stopped painting them? (need to look at mine)
Thanks Julian. I just bought this boat used from a guy in Maine. I forgot to ask him about any cavitaion issues and forgot to look at caulking in this area. It does not look like there is much caulking at all by this Intake Duct or the grate. I have not even had this boat in the water yet so I am not sure if there is an issue. I dealt with cavitation with a used boat I bought back in 2009. Back then Yamaha fixed it under warranty.
The Conext system showed that the Max speed of the boat had gone was 47 MPH. So maybe cavitation is NOT an issue since the boat got up to 47mph...

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know they used to be painted...then there were complaints from owners about the paint peeling off....so perhaps they stopped painting them? (need to look at mine)
Julian,
Just wanted to circle back on this thread. I have no cavitation issues. The boat is running great.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Weird, our 212x has black painted,and its peeling...Makes the finish look halfassed. Torn on whether to powdercoat or just media blast and leave bare