• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra AK install help

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi I'm new to the forum but I have been reading her for weeks. There is some great info and people here. I just bought a 2017 Ar240 a couple days ago. After reading up on it here I bought a cobra ak steering kit with fangs without even driving the boat yet. I had a jetboat and wave runner a long time ago so I know their short comings. I went to instal the kit and my starboard tierod was at 12 3/16 instead of the 12 1/2 the directions say should be stock. I set the new port one at 12 3/16 like the stock but the distance from the keel to the cobra plate are off by 3/4 of an inch. It also appears as though the SB nozzle is pointing in a little. Idk why the space is different between the two when the tierods are the same length except that their different makes. My question is does anybody know the stock length of the tierod center to center from the factory. Idk if the nozzle is suppose to be straight when the steering is straight or if it's suppose to toe in a little. Thanks for any help.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adjust the port nozzle so it’s straight with the starboard. Adjust the new tie rod so that it is not pushing or pulling. Every boat is going to have a slightly different length that the ti rod needs to be. When it’s all installed moving the nozzles by hand should be easy and nothing should feel tight or binding. You should be able to shake each nozzle a little.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Adjust both tie rods to where the distance between the front of both fins is the same as the distance between the back of both fins or slightly towed in in the front and the distance between the factory rudder is the same to both fins I set the rod I send you at approximately 12.5 inches center to center you still may need to make a final adjustment to get the fins set with a slight tow in. I have found that some tie rods are set different than others on the original tie rod . Also you do not want any tow out in the leading edges of the fins and you are welcome to call me if you would rather talk it through , my number should be on your email with your tracking number.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies guys. Jeff I spoke with you earlier on the phone. I was measuring the tie rod until I spoke to you and then realized the fins were different distances from the keel. I can get this right but it appears that the SB nozzle does not point straight when the keel is straight it is pointing inward a little. I don't want to set the port side the same as the SB if it is wrong to begin with and the nozzle is suppose to be straight when the keel is straight. If you can follow that lol.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neutron do you have your service manual handy - for the nozzle adjustment specs?
Only asking because I know you have helped with that before! and I want to check mine, too.
Before I try surf-pointing them, lol.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok set the tie rods so the front of both fins is about 1/16 inch closer in the front than in the back and the distances between the rudder and the fins are the same on both meaning the front will be slightly closer than the back

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I'll just adjust by your fins which means I'm going to have to move the SB side a bunch telling me that it was off from the factory and the nozzle should be straighter than it is with the keel straight. Thanks gentleman. And just to be sure when you say front you mean leading edge.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski i think this is what you want. If you need anything else let me know.
I just walked into the garage 5 minutes ago to put manual back in its home. Lol

20171211_193350.jpg 20171211_193409.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a plan I would say start with 12.5 inches from center to center of the bolt holes and see where that leaves you as to being straight and even it should put you very close if not right on Target then make the final adjustments as needed

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the photo neutron that could be why the tie rod is so far off. I haven't been able to find a service manual yet my dealer told me it might be hard to get lol I wonder why. You folks here taught me more about this boat than my salesman did. He had to read about the anchor locker on here before he would bring it up w the service department. Then I schooled him on how to turn on the connext with the keys off which he said couldn't be done and I found out it could, where else, here. I told him it sounded like the fuel pumps were running. Now I need the seadek and the stereo upgrade as well as a few of the forums mods and fixes. Thank you all for sharing the knowledge.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When i first got my AR240 it didn't track straight. I found that the port steering nozzle was way out. Matched it to the starboard nozzle and it was perfect.
Then when i later installed my Cobras the new tie rod included with the kit installed right away without any adjustment

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Neutron I'm on it in the a.m.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No prob! Anytime

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Soooo I went back at this morning I measured the steering cables they were both 11 13/16 which I assume is close enough to 11.8". I took both tie rods off and set them at the 12 1/2" , I had to turn the stock tie rod out one full turn. I proceeded to put them on SB first then the keel bolt and the port tie rod was waaaay to long. The SB fins were Equal front and back. So after a few curses and staring at this I realized why I couldn't get hung up on the math thinking the tie rods should both be equal or pretty close. I hadn't noticed the keel bolt was offset to the port side which changes everything. So per Mcmarks original post I set it up and the port fin was equal from the keel front and back. There is a 3/16 difference from each fin to the keel but I'm all done with the math. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hadn't noticed the keel bolt was offset to the port side which changes everything.
If you could post a pic, would be great to see it.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can see it bulging more on the left.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wonder if that is by design or by accident I do not recall seeing this in the past???