• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra AK19 setting for Yamaha 190/195

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm curious what settings people are using for their Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 on Yamaha 190/195? I started my 2021 195S at the recommended 4 & 5 (see pic) and quickly changed to 5 & 6 hoping to maximize my forward control. Recently I read that the reverse thrust was partially blocked in these lower positions so I just changed to 2 & 3 (see pic). The reverse thrust now seems unrestricted (see pic) but I wonder if I'll be sacrificing forward control? I've only run it once at 2 & 3, steering at higher speeds was definitely easier and I was able to pull a tube with no difficulty. It looks like some fin would still be in the water while up on plane. It was calm so not a good day to test in wind and current.
Any feedback would be helpful.

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I left mine in the recommended settings (5 & 6) I think. Have no complaints so have never changed them

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I left mine in the recommended settings (5 & 6) I think. Have no complaints so have never changed them
Just curious, does your 2018 have the old or new reverse design?

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I initially installed mine at 5-6 (lowest) and thought that was good, though after a while noticed the directional control in reverse was reduced somewhat from what I recall when no fins were on it at all. Like the OP noticed the fins - at their lower settings, slightly block the reverse thrust nozzles from blowing out at an angle. Nothing like the JBP fins they replaced though, which blocked them a lot more.

We were out this past weekend after I put them up at 2-3, the lowest setting I believe completely clears the output path of the rev thrust nozzles. While docking the directional control was still good - maybe I'm just better at it now, and I noticed and liked the more "slippery," maneuverable steering at speed. However at no wake speeds the back squirmed around more, and that's actually more important.

Before next going out I'll set it to 3-4 or 4-5 and hopefully find that happy medium.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I initially installed mine at 5-6 (lowest) and thought that was good, though after a while noticed the directional control in reverse was reduced somewhat from what I recall when no fins were on it at all. Like the OP noticed the fins - at their lower settings, slightly block the reverse thrust nozzles from blowing out at an angle. Nothing like the JBP fins they replaced though, which blocked them a lot more.

We were out this past weekend after I put them up at 2-3, the lowest setting I believe completely clears the output path of the rev thrust nozzles. While docking the directional control was still good - maybe I'm just better at it now, and I noticed and liked the more "slippery," maneuverable steering at speed. However at no wake speeds the back squirmed around more, and that's actually more important.

Before next going out I'll set it to 3-4 or 4-5 and hopefully find that happy medium.
While my no wake use yesterday was limited at 2 & 3, I think I also noticed more corrections were needed. Really need to test that more. My original plan was to use the boat with no fins (Cobra or Thrust Vectors) to establish a baseline but my boat took so long to come in that I ended up buying the Cobra fins before the boat arrived. Maybe I should remove them completely to get a feel for stock and then re-install. But I agree with you, maybe 3 & 4 or 4 & 5 is the compromise.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

One thing I noticed is that even at 5 & 6, the boat would spin in the slightest breeze unless I was at the first detent (or more). In neutral throttle the factory rudder and Cobra fins seemed to have no effect on cancelling the wind drift. It truly is no thrust = no control (at slow speeds). But I have noticed the positive effect the fins have while coming off plane. Being my first season, I'm still learning. Having to un-learn 35 years of stern drive handling is part of the problem.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. In neutral there's no directional control, period - at least in our particular boats, fins or not.
I've adapted, and coming from a smaller Sea-Doo (Rotax) boat with actually full directional control in neutral, that difference in my Yamaha got me in trouble a few times close to the dock when I forgot. Now, when maneuvering it's in forward or reverse TDE, avoiding neutral, and one or two clicks into no-wake speed to get enough thrust to make it turn relatively quickly.

Reverse in these boats is sort of OK for backing up straight. If turning in reverse you're getting only a portion of the straight thrust, so no surprise it's less effective. I primarily need that reverse turning when bringing the rear in towards the dock while also slowing to a stop. Clicking back and forth 'walks' the boat sideways to the dock. The same technique worked well with an outboard, too - used it with a 24 ft. pontoon rental early this month to squeeze into a slip when most other nearby boats were getting blown around. (There are benefits to learning how to maneuver these jets!) We can "shift" from fwd to rev instantly though and that's essential. I believe Yamaha was trying to make our boats, in reverse, "drive" like a prop boat. They were partially successful.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an '18 AR195. It does not have the larger jet opening. I just received mine from Jeff last week. Waiting to swap our my Vipers for these over the weekend. My plan is to start at the recommended 5/6 setting. Curious to see what @dbfl opinion is of 3/4 or 4/5 settings.

Jeff, I'd think that the 2/3 setting would've had less a need for corrections ... especially at slower speeds? Anyway, thanks for bringing this up.

Just curious, does your 2018 have the old or new reverse design?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the 2019 and newer nozzles 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 are fine I posted a picture earlier this year showing after I did an install I placed a stick down the nozzle opening to show that the fins did not interfere with the reverse thrust at all when set in 4 and 5. on the 2018 or earlier nozzles any setting is fine and 5 and 6 would push the thrust slightly forward for more reverse power this is why I cut the leading edge of the fins on the 2019 and newer models called super ultimate ak-19 deluxe as opposed to the super ultimate AK deluxe and also on this subject if you own a 2015 model 19 foot boat you can also add the super ultimate ak deluxe steering system because even though you do not have any factory rudder you do have the compatible nozzle for the plaining surface .

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Only had mine for a for about 6 weeks (11 hours), mine are at the recommended 5/6. Still learning.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had them in most holes, there is a somewhat noticeable but not significant difference in the slow speed forward tracking and reverse steering. The differences are the inverse of each other so its a trade off. I'm currently at 5-6 will likely go to 4-5 and call it a day. My wife just wants consistency when she's loading and loading so I have to stop playing around. The biggest difference is on plane and I like 4-5 setting there.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For next time and hopefully not to change again, I set mine to 4-5. The slope of the outer part of the rev thrust channel does look like the approximate direction the water will go, so Jeff's use of a stick isn't unreasonable, yet is a best case. (The water does start to diverge after clearing the port.) When I eyeball it at the 5-6 fin setting, there's a fair bit of the back of the fin showing. That goes to almost nothing at 3-4 and disappears entirely at 2-3 - why I tried the latter. Really depends on the exact angle you look. I was initially looking at a midpoint, not the outer edge, and only at 2-3 does it fully disappear.

Pic below at 5-6, looking approximately straight down the channel/port.

IMG_20210722_101259897-480x360.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My recommendation is to Set them on 4 and 5 or 6 and 5 for the best settings even then the difference between the 2 is very slight, it just pushes a small portion of the reverse thrust forward for better reverse thrust power.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I just moved the fins to different settings and took some pics with the throttle in Fwd. The port reverse opening is at 4 & 5, just a sliver of intrusion by the fin. The starboard side is at 5 & 6 and maybe 20% of the opening is blocked by the fin. So I ended up setting mine at 4 & 5. Of course, 99% of my use is in Fwd so you could easily argue for 5 & 6 too.

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just moved the fins to different settings and took some pics with the throttle in Fwd. The port reverse opening is at 4 & 5, just a sliver of intrusion by the fin. The starboard side is at 5 & 6 and maybe 20% of the opening is blocked by the fin. So I ended up setting mine at 4 & 5. Of course, 99% of my use is in Fwd so you could easily argue for 5 & 6 too.
Same conclusion here. 4 and 5. Reverse steering is so important to docking and trailering these boats that I want to minimize blocking the sideways thrust.

Inlikeflinn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have new fins on 2020 ar190 and definitely 5-6 all the way down is ideal of me. We do a lot of harbor cruises and wake sports

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have new fins on 2020 ar190 and definitely 5-6 all the way down is ideal of me. We do a lot of harbor cruises and wake sports
That is the idea behind most of my systems for Yamaha jet boats, one set with multiple optional settings for your personal boating needs and preference.
So what is your opinion both before and after

Inlikeflinn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is the idea behind most of my systems for Yamaha jet boats, one set with multiple optional settings for your personal boating needs and preference.
So what is your opinion both before and after
Coming from I/O boat the jet was frustrating. Not impossible but a bit frustrating. I got used to it but bought the cobra setup and it’s night and day in the harbor at no wake speed. Still needs correction way more than I/O boat but fins make it better. When towing wakeboard and tube it keeps back of boat from getting pulled. I do miss the sharper turns but the stability is preferred. Now if I could just get more horse power I’d keep this 190. Otherwise I’ll be trading up to the 212 I had originally wanted.

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I installed it last week on 2020 ar195. 4-5 seemed like the best setting for my taste. 5-6 felt too heavy on the wheel at high speed. Slow steering is still good.

I had an issue where the cross beam wasn't bent square, there was twist to one of the bends, this caused it to bind up, where the fins couldn't move up or down without a lot of force. I took it to my work's machine shop and eventually I got it bent back to square and it is mostly good now. When I tried to use it with the beam bent steering got "squirrely" when transitioning into plane.

Now on 4-5 and things correctly aligned it feels solid.