• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra fins on our '18 242x and new top speed

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Wow would like to give a huge shot out to Jeff @ www.cobrajetsteering.com. I called him 2 weeks ago and we "shot the jet" (talked) for an hour. We went over the benefits of his SUPER Magnum AK - Steering w/NEW Cobra AK MEGA FANGS PLUS. I told him we had came from a '98 Exciter 270 that we had for 14yrs and that this '18 242x was a pig in the turns. He said "It wont be after my kit" I said tubing behind it was just ok due to slow turns. He said " You will be throwing them off once again" One of my biggest hold backs was ditching the surf point alignment. I let him know that my best top speed was 44mph ( 2 adults 6yr,2yr, full tank of fuel. He said just ditch the SP. Well I got to looking and it and the port was toe-out 1/2" more then the other ( Thanks YAMY). It was so bad that at a full turn that one jet stream was crashing into a nearly strait stream from the other. So to sum this up steering was effortless (power steering). My wife could tell right away when she took her turn at the wheel. O and the best part we went from 43mph top speed on glass to 48mph on a over crowded choppy Lake and we used a lot less fuel.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow would like to give a huge shot out to Jeff @ www.cobrajetsteering.com. I called him 2 weeks ago and we "shot the jet" (talked) for an hour. We went over the benefits of his SUPER Magnum AK - Steering w/NEW Cobra AK MEGA FANGS PLUS. I told him we had came from a '98 Exciter 270 that we had for 14yrs and that this '18 242x was a pig in the turns. He said "It wont be after my kit" I said tubing behind it was just ok due to slow turns. He said " You will be throwing them off once again" One of my biggest hold backs was ditching the surf point alignment. I let him know that my best top speed was 44mph ( 2 adults 6yr,2yr, full tank of fuel. He said just ditch the SP. Well I got to looking and it and the port was toe-out 1/2" more then the other ( Thanks YAMY). It was so bad that at a full turn that one jet stream was crashing into a nearly strait stream from the other. So to sum this up steering was effortless (power steering). My wife could tell right away when she took her turn at the wheel. O and the best part we went from 43mph top speed on glass to 48mph on a over crowded choppy Lake and we used a lot less fuel.
Yep, I'm not surprised.
I love Cobras.

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure you're not Jeff's brother? We've been using different iterations of Jeff's products for years with better than expected results. He's the Einstein of steering systems.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't realize the factory surfpoint alignment negatively impacted top speed that much (straightening that out is what fixed your speed, not the fins). Kinda crazy.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you sure you're not Jeff's brother? We've been using different iterations of Jeff's products for years with better than expected results. He's the Einstein of steering systems.
That's funny, even though My younger brother is actually a card carrying member of M E N S A , he even has stickers on his vehicle letting every one know. I'm the one who came up with the theory of steer ability.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like my Cobras too, if I could get Cobra Fins to remove the tubing face spray, all would be right with the world.....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just add 15 feet to your rope and be sure the tube is inflated solid on the bottom section after you inflate the tube with the regular pump use one of these to get the bottom section solid.
Coleman Dual Action Hand Pump, Black
cost is less that 20 dollars when your hand bounces off the tube you have it ready to slide across the water bounced on waves and be a great ride.

Last edited:

Crabsitch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea Cobra fins definitely helped.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have tried the added rope length, it just delays all the actions/reactions, I really do not like how that works. I am probably going to try the ball before I try anything else.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the tube being hard fixes that , so try that not jus inflated but hard like a basketball where your hand bounces off then look out I can snap those tubes so fast sideways . I can make a wave and come around with the tube hitting it at an angle and put a 3 seater in the air on flat water just from my small wake.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think this is a good write up. As I think many of us could benefit from a steering alignment, or at least check our nozzles annually.

With or without fins, a person could expect jets to fight each other if not properly aligned. That's not to say SurfPointe doesn't have a purpose, if you are surfing. But if not, I agree that it may make sense to follow the directions on doing an alignment. This would allow most of us to start from a good baseline of control.

I would think that adding fins to a boat without proper alignment would only exaggerate the effect.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I didn't realize the factory surfpoint alignment negatively impacted top speed that much (straightening that out is what fixed your speed, not the fins). Kinda crazy.
Yes I realize that fixing the alignment is what fixed it. But talking to him is what got me down there to fix it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like my Cobras too, if I could get Cobra Fins to remove the tubing face spray, all would be right with the world.....
He will design a deflector, at some point, I think. If enough people ask.
And, I'm pretty sure it won't need epoxy to mount to the boat., lol

Hopefully I'll still have my Yamaha JB, lol.

--

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He will design a deflector, at some point, I think. If enough people ask.
And, I'm pretty sure it won't need epoxy to mount to the boat., lol

Hopefully I'll still have my Yamaha JB, lol.

--
I’ll design some... just need 500 or so people to send me a thousand bucks and I’ll get right on it.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think this is a good write up. As I think many of us could benefit from a steering alignment, or at least check our nozzles annually.

With or without fins, a person could expect jets to fight each other if not properly aligned. That's not to say SurfPointe doesn't have a purpose, if you are surfing. But if not, I agree that it may make sense to follow the directions on doing an alignment. This would allow most of us to start from a good baseline of control.

I would think that adding fins to a boat without proper alignment would only exaggerate the effect.
Thinking about getting a 2020 or leftover 2019 242X over the winter. I'm planning to get Jeff's fins as I'm coming from an I/O and while I have a decent amount of time on PWCs, I would like to have the extra control in the boat.

As I understand it the 242X comes w/ SurfPointe by default. Are they just pointing the nozzles inward (so the boat is cross-eyed) or is it something more complicated? Should I plan to undo that alignment, install the CJS fins/fangs, and rely on ballast (planning to get the Gantlin swim platform bag to augment the factory ballast) and wakebooster to build a wave?

My wife surfed when we lived in NorCal so being able to surf is one of our primary reasons to get the boat. But we also want the kids to tube, have an easy swim platform, etc which is why we're looking at a Yamaha vs a MasterCraft or something.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They aim the nozzles in toward each other crossing the jet thrust exiting the nozzles it is east to remove by readjusting the nozzles and centering the steering wheel.

Aligning the nozzles is very important ,center the wheel, then undo the steering cables at the nozzle arms. Remove the bolt from the rudder to detach the tie rods, with the reverse up out of the way.
Now place a straight edge across the 2 nozzle openings, I use a level for this. if you can get someone to hold the level against the nozzles while you readjust the two steering cable ends to reattach them with the nozzles evenly.
Then readjust the tie rod ends to meet at the rudder and using the tie rods adjust them out just about 1/8 inch and lock them in place there will be enough free play in the cables to allow this.
Now your fins are towed in slightly and will track very nicely at speed. also the tie rods will hold the nozzles in proper place much better than just the steering cables alone.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thinking about getting a 2020 or leftover 2019 242X over the winter. I'm planning to get Jeff's fins as I'm coming from an I/O and while I have a decent amount of time on PWCs, I would like to have the extra control in the boat.

As I understand it the 242X comes w/ SurfPointe by default. Are they just pointing the nozzles inward (so the boat is cross-eyed) or is it something more complicated? Should I plan to undo that alignment, install the CJS fins/fangs, and rely on ballast (planning to get the Gantlin swim platform bag to augment the factory ballast) and wakebooster to build a wave?

My wife surfed when we lived in NorCal so being able to surf is one of our primary reasons to get the boat. But we also want the kids to tube, have an easy swim platform, etc which is why we're looking at a Yamaha vs a MasterCraft or something.

Best advice, run it stock for a period of time, with the understanding, that there is a small learning curve. At least at that time, you can decide if you actually need them, and if so, you will appreciate what they do for you.

I personally have been finless this season, as I sold mine while new ones are on back order. Honestly, the boat handles great. But I would not have liked it too much if I were knew to jetboats. That and the lateral thrusters on our 242 help where it really needs it in reverse.

Give it a shot, you are not out anything for trying. Anyone that says running them stock is a life threatening hazard is a fool. Yamaha would never sell something that would flat out kill you if you drove it stock. It's obvious that we all read each others mods so much we truly feel they are 100% necessary. I have fallen into that trap as well.

Good luck,

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been "finless" for 2.5 seasons now. I've learned to handle the boat EXTREMELY well in the last two seasons. So much so that this past week in TN, I got complimented twice in two days on how "soft" my landing was to the marina dock to get ice, with one of the workers there adding "You never see these yamahas come in soft like this, usually it's an all hands on deck/panic type situation". I would definitely advise with @biffdotorg and say to run "finless" for at least a season before deciding what you actually need vs what you think you need.

Only at this point am I considering going with a set of fins, and only as a "I'm curious what all the fuss is about" point. I've read reports of significant increase in maintaining speed while cornering. I also have a very large "dead" spot in the steering on center when on plane. I've read this is "normal" however +/- 45deg (90deg total) of the center of the steering being useless isn't great. If the fins can help with that on-center dead spot, and help me maintain some speed in corners (180 deg turn results in a drop of 10-15mph easy), then they might be worthwhile. I'll be looking closely how the effect my low speed maneuvers as well. I don't want to lose the rear end "slide" that I have now when docking. I've gotten where I can come in a bit "hot" and hit the brakes in reverse and slide the rear end towards the dock, or whatever I'm attempting to pull up next to. I really like that move and don't want to lose it.

Might try the Cobra Viper System first. CJS has a 30-day money back guarantee, and that will give me enough to time to test and see if I really like them or not. If they help all around I'll keep 'em, if not I'll send 'em back. Haven't heard of many people sending them back though. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC any data on how many of your customers utilize the 30 day money back guarantee?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Trying a viper and then returning it ? I can not think of any people with 19 foot boats doing that .
I have been making those a few years now, but I did have a twin engine boat that decided to upgrade to the Ultimate steering last year . So I did take those back and apply the cost to the Ultimate set
It turned out that the further the inside fins are from the nozzle on a twin engine boats the less effect they have due to the hull blocking them from most of the flow of water and this was why I don't recommend the viper for twin engine boats I was not convinced it was the best match and I do have numerous styles to choose from. I could probably count on one hand in the past few years , people who tried my steering on their boat and returned them for a refund it is very uncommon!
I refund more money to people who purchased the wrong set of mega fangs and did not need the $220 set when all they needed was the $169 dollar set. and I am constantly refunding overpayments on shipping if I was able to save the customer on their shipping out of the country or on express mail.
As for driving the boat stock no problem I always suggest you do that so when you install steering you can tell the improvement.
As for owning a boat that has a big learning curve " to each their own" and in some situations you can learn what you can but you can't change the laws of physics.
like having your wife or other family member feel in control when they drive the boat or the unfortunate person posted he was just run over by his spouse when she tried to go back and pick him up in the water.
My advice is do what makes you happy and forget going on the internet asking perfect strangers how to spend your hard earned money.
Keep in mind a lot of stuff on the internet is fake. I get a email every day asking me to hire companies to market my steering I don't do that, and never have. I stay quite busy doing what I do . I speak for myself and I always have.