• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering 2021 252SD

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Going to install the cobras on my boat Friday. Any tips or tricks from 2021 25x owners that have done it already? Beyond what Jeff sends for instructions? ANY input is welcome and Appreciated.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just did mine yesterday on a 195S. Everything comes in the package and it is an easy install. No complaints on parts or instructions. I know mine is a single but the theory is the same.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
On the twins… I still don’t understand. I need to square the nozzles… and then tilt them out slightly? Is that the half turn? Anyone? Am I reading that right

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the twins… I still don’t understand. I need to square the nozzles… and then tilt them out slightly? Is that the half turn? Anyone? Am I reading that right
Yes you got it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just do it this is not just slow speed at the dock steering it is high performance steering and wear your seat belt if you plan on testing it at high speed just ask @swatski.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Looks like we both have the drive system which adds a first step not included with the install instructions. First thing to know, the steering wheel will not turn the nozzles unless the engine is on so we have an added step before we get going. If possible, have someone start the boat and center the steering wheel. Once centered, kill the engine and you can proceed with the steps Jeff provides. Not sure how your boat will be but I had to adjust the port steering 6 revolutions and the STRBD 8 revolutions to get things straight.

The 1/2 turn that Jeff mentions is the adjustment you will make on the tire rod ends.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Looks like we both have the drive system which adds a first step not included with the install instructions. First thing to know, the steering wheel will not turn the nozzles unless the engine is on so we have an added step before we get going. If possible, have someone start the boat and center the steering wheel. Once centered, kill the engine and you can proceed with the steps Jeff provides. Not sure how your boat will be but I had to adjust the port steering 6 revolutions and the STRBD 8 revolutions to get things straight.

The 1/2 turn that Jeff mentions is the adjustment you will make on the tire rod ends.
Excellent Thank you for that. Glad I asked

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Cobras are on. I hope to get the boat to Lake Huron this weekend and I’ll report back. My nozzles were seriously out of alignment. I turned the port engine on and centred the steering wheel. The only way to explain the alignment of my jet nozzles was “ googly eyed”. And instead of my keel being perpendicular it was about 82 degrees. The tightness of the bolts connecting the rods to the jet nozzles needed attention. So just the exercise of the pre install was worth it.

4ukwildcata

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

OK. Slow one here. I’m installing this weekend and want to make sure I understand. After I level and get everything straight. I install the tie rod from Jeff, once installed, I then adjust the original tie rod and the new one by adding a half turn pushing the tie one half turn toward the exterior of the boat on both rods. The impact of this adjustment will be to have a slight inward tilt of the nozzles. / \

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
The front of the nozzles facing you tilt a little outwards to port and starboard

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now that is what happens when you put real super steering on your boat !!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My concern is Why on earth would Yamaha make the steering wheel lock up if the engines are not running, we already see issues with the E series reverse buckets but they do have a bypass switch . My next question is where is the bypass switch for the locked steering helm because that really concerns me. Keep in mind my system gives you steering even if the engines stalled it would not concern me as much if the helm continued to operate if the key was on. Has anyone tried that? Because if the wheel locks up with the engines off while the boat is in use that is not a good thing in my opinion.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
My concern is Why on earth would Yamaha make the steering wheel lock up if the engines are not running, we already see issues with the E series reverse buckets but they do have a bypass switch . My next question is where is the bypass switch for the locked steering helm because that really concerns me. Keep in mind my system gives you steering even if the engines stalled it would not concern me as much if the helm continued to operate if the key was on. Has anyone tried that? Because if the wheel locks up with the engines off while the boat is in use that is not a good thing in my opinion.
It’s definitely a head scratcher. If steering in non responsive, there is a way to manually force the steering straight under the starboard rear seat. From that point, the owner manual says to use the throttle to steer( forward and reverse). I’ll take a picture when I pick the boat up later today.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
OK. Slow one here. I’m installing this weekend and want to make sure I understand. After I level and get everything straight. I install the tie rod from Jeff, once installed, I then adjust the original tie rod and the new one by adding a half turn pushing the tie one half turn toward the exterior of the boat on both rods. The impact of this adjustment will be to have a slight inward tilt of the nozzles. / \
Exactly. It’s not a very noticeable change visually but it works. I forgot to do the step initially and the boat wouldn’t track straight. Once I corrected it, noticeable change in tracking.