• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering AK-19 Ultimate Deluxe

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Good Morning
My new Cobra Jet Steering AK-19 Ultimate Deluxe should be delivered today, and plans to install it on my 2022 Yamaha SX195 Saturday. Weather pending we plan to trailer down to the Manatee River and go for a ride Sunday. I will update this thread after the installation and report out after we splash for anyone interested in upgrading the steering system on their jet boat.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
As mentioned, I would update this thread once I installed and used the Cobra Jet AK-19 Ultimate Deluxe (AK-19 UD).

First Impressions: Unboxing the components, everything is nicely machined with no burrs or sharp edges, new hardware was bagged and a package of thread seal was included. Installation went smoothly and there is a very detailed YouTube video online explaining every step of the way. Install was roughly 30 minutes (or two beers), this included disassembly of the factory items to make way for the new items.

Test Ride: First ride with the AK-19 UD was Sunday on the Manatee River. Wind started off non existent, but quickly picked up as the temps warmed up. At idle speed coming from the ramp, I would say the the steering responsiveness was 75% greater improved. Turning the wheel port to starboard (full turns) the bow took about 3 seconds to correct and respond to the change in direction. Moving in a forward straight line, you could easily make 45 degree corrections as if there was a prop. The added planing surface did drastically help the boat jump up on plane without cavitation about 50-75% quicker than without the planing surface, this was with 4 adults and 3 kids. In average 1ft chop running into the wind and across the waves, the ride was smoother, as my wife was not complaining to slow down or stop the boat from bouncing. Maybe its me, but I feel the planing surface did help the left to right level out.

Docking with a cross wind: Here was the ultimate test. Docking at Whiskey Joe's with a 15mph crosswind pushing me away from the dock. Told the wife, no need to reach for the dock hook, lets see how it works now. I approached the dock perpendicular, cut the wheel and slowly engaged reverse, again, responsiveness was almost immediate. I was able to slide in the dock and reverse back without yelling or causing a scene at the bar.

Fin Settings: I chose the recommended #4 and #5 setting, keeping the fins down at all times. Not much noticeable difference at high speed as the boat tends to slide more across the water than dig though the water as I was not looking for added control at higher speeds. Running wide open, there was no steering track or pulling in any direction.

For anyone looking to increase steering and decrease stress on a jet boat, this is well worth the purchase. I purchased this unit based on reviews and testimonials, and for what you are given, less than $300 is well worth the investment. Understand this is my only steering system purchase and I have not had the chance to use a competitors product, and am not biased to any product.

For fit, form and function, it met 100% of my requirements.

Attachments

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can totally relate to the Stress coming in with heavy winds. I've been turned 180 at the pier during heavy winds and learned a while back to drop the bimini before final approach to reduce the sail-effect. Congratulations on getting in with as little fanfare as possible!

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the review here. I went ahead and ordered one for my boat.

It could definitely track a little better. Felt like it required constant attention to hold course.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok, cobra jet started a new profile, moderators?😁
I often wonder if i made a mistake with the thrust vectors i installed. Specifically while running through a narrow winding creek, about 22 mph, just on plane. I had to navigate a sharp turn and experienced lack of steering authority. Realizing i was in an oh shit moment, i floored it to make the turn. Already going faster than i wanted to ,It was a real pucker factor. So, at that time I was debating the always down steering assit that cobra offers, and whether not that would have been the answer. If anyone has had experience in this type of situation i would love to here your comment. Oh and nice write up on your experience with the cobra jet system, very helpful.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, cobra jet started a new profile, moderators?😁
I often wonder if i made a mistake with the thrust vectors i installed. Specifically while running through a narrow winding creek, about 22 mph, just on plane. I had to navigate a sharp turn and experienced lack of steering authority. Realizing i was in an oh shit moment, i floored it to make the turn. Already going faster than i wanted to ,It was a real pucker factor. So, at that time I was debating the always down steering assit that cobra offers, and whether not that would have been the answer. If anyone has had experience in this type of situation i would love to here your comment. Oh and nice write up on your experience with the cobra jet system, very helpful.
@Dixemon Happens to us all the time. We go through channels in in the low lands in the bays in lake St. Clair. We run some of them since they are mile or so long right around 20, which is ok to do. Every now and then some ass hat jet skiers cuts between the boats or comes flying through the reeds. I have Cobra on it it helps tremendously when I need to turn sharp. The primary reason I bought the Super Magnum AK-19's Deluxe was for the steering at speed and coming off plane. Others commented on it here and I though that it was a great thing when I would need it. I have not been disappointed. I have pics of mine some where on here. I adjusted them up to the third hole where it gives me what I want.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, at that time I was debating the always down steering assit that cobra offers, and whether not that would have been the answer.
In a word: yes.

I see @Cobra Jet Steering LLC already beat me to it, lol
it is true, though.
I absolutely hat(ed) that feeling of no-steerability - when I boated in a narrow creek I used to call home; that was answered by cobras

JasonB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
As mentioned, I would update this thread once I installed and used the Cobra Jet AK-19 Ultimate Deluxe (AK-19 UD).

First Impressions: Unboxing the components, everything is nicely machined with no burrs or sharp edges, new hardware was bagged and a package of thread seal was included. Installation went smoothly and there is a very detailed YouTube video online explaining every step of the way. Install was roughly 30 minutes (or two beers), this included disassembly of the factory items to make way for the new items.

Test Ride: First ride with the AK-19 UD was Sunday on the Manatee River. Wind started off non existent, but quickly picked up as the temps warmed up. At idle speed coming from the ramp, I would say the the steering responsiveness was 75% greater improved. Turning the wheel port to starboard (full turns) the bow took about 3 seconds to correct and respond to the change in direction. Moving in a forward straight line, you could easily make 45 degree corrections as if there was a prop. The added planing surface did drastically help the boat jump up on plane without cavitation about 50-75% quicker than without the planing surface, this was with 4 adults and 3 kids. In average 1ft chop running into the wind and across the waves, the ride was smoother, as my wife was not complaining to slow down or stop the boat from bouncing. Maybe its me, but I feel the planing surface did help the left to right level out.

Docking with a cross wind: Here was the ultimate test. Docking at Whiskey Joe's with a 15mph crosswind pushing me away from the dock. Told the wife, no need to reach for the dock hook, lets see how it works now. I approached the dock perpendicular, cut the wheel and slowly engaged reverse, again, responsiveness was almost immediate. I was able to slide in the dock and reverse back without yelling or causing a scene at the bar.

Fin Settings: I chose the recommended #4 and #5 setting, keeping the fins down at all times. Not much noticeable difference at high speed as the boat tends to slide more across the water than dig though the water as I was not looking for added control at higher speeds. Running wide open, there was no steering track or pulling in any direction.

For anyone looking to increase steering and decrease stress on a jet boat, this is well worth the purchase. I purchased this unit based on reviews and testimonials, and for what you are given, less than $300 is well worth the investment. Understand this is my only steering system purchase and I have not had the chance to use a competitors product, and am not biased to any product.

For fit, form and function, it met 100% of my requirements.
I did the exact same for my 2022 195S. However, the weather has not cooperated in the PNW so I have not had the chance to compare. But I fully expect that CJS will do exactly what it advertises since so many testimonials are positive (like yours). I really wanted that off-power ability to maneuver like my old inboard ski boat, and if I get onto plane so much faster, so much the better.