• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering for Scarab 195

BCat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hello all,

I installed a set of Cobra jet fins on my scarab today. Figured I'd post some pics. I originally considered adding Thrust Vectors, and I didn't know any other options we're out there. When I found these I decided on them. I'm a believer in the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). The fact these bolt on and don't move appealed to me. The articulating thrust vector seemed like one more thing that could break, and I saw reviews that it kicked up water on the swim platform also. These fins don't extend down as much either so my draft is still nice and shallow.

The install took a couple hours. Was a pain getting a couple of the forward bolts through the holes I drilled without hitting the internal jet nozzle. If I had to install it again I know it would only take me 30 minutes. My only concern is possible corrosion over time at the drill/bolt holes. All the hardware is stainless and if I spray it with some corrosion inhibitor now and then I think I'll be fine.

Last part is to test it on the water and see how they actually work!

Attachments

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
looking forward to the update

BCat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
looking forward to the update
Well I've been out three times now with the new fins on. They have improved the steering response a bit, but honestly can't say it lives up to my expectations (maybe my expectations were too high). Interestingly enough, I feel like my high speed tracking and ability to hold a line improved much more than the slow speed maneuverability. It seems to track over wakes better, and better on downward swells when passing other boats as well. As far as low speed maneuverability, it's better, but still not enough to bring the boat out of a turn if it gets too far into the turn.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was not impressed, I removed mine, fine with out them.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Well I've been out three times now with the new fins on. They have improved the steering response a bit, but honestly can't say it lives up to my expectations (maybe my expectations were too high). Interestingly enough, I feel like my high speed tracking and ability to hold a line improved much more than the slow speed maneuverability. It seems to track over wakes better, and better on downward swells when passing other boats as well. As far as low speed maneuverability, it's better, but still not enough to bring the boat out of a turn if it gets too far into the turn.
There would be more benefit on Yamis. What you're stating is still an improvement. I know they help when coming off plane and turning at the same time. Could be life saver.

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I noticed a big difference at slow speeds and putting it on the trailer

mbonadio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I noticed a big difference at slow speeds and putting it on the trailer
I have a 165 and at slow speed it’s a nightmare to dock in tight waterways. At 4mph you can’t steer straight. Just not enough gas to influence steering and I can count seconds before steering input takes place. In that time I will miss my mark. Frustrating at times. Hear the 165 is touchier than 195.

I stumbled on Jeff’s cobra steering fins today and am seriously considering them. Could save my love affair with my boat!! He says no one ever returns them and has a money back guarantee. Or course not great it I drill holes and take them off.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you remove the tiny number 10 bolts and fill the holes with J B WELD then place a piece of wax paper on both sides of the hole and press the wax paper between your thumb and finger then let the J B weld cure and then remove the wax paper you can fill the holes very nicely but you won't remove them because they do not interfere with your reverse operation or reverse bucket or cause water spray and they work at all speeds I don't make them huge because they don't need to be huge. when the reverse bucket drops down it covers most of the fins so they don't work against your reverse as it is backward from regular reverse so the fins in the water and not blocked would be working in the opposite direction of where you need them to be.

Attachments