• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering - Review

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I wanted to take a few minutes to talk a little about my new addition... Cobra Jet Steering. First and foremost I need to mention that Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is the man! His customer service and response to all of my questions and concerns are second to none. I can’t say enough about Jeff and how pleased that I am that I decided to go with his product.

I have a 2019 SX190 and although I feel that I have really gotten to a point with the boat that my docking, loading and unloading skills are very good except for days when the current is strong, there was still the issue of the low speed (no wake) control. Here in Charleston boating is a little bit different than most places. A lot of no wake areas and the tide and current are something that really takes some getting used to. So along with the no wake slow speed control there is the issue of the current at the ramp at times trying to load the boat on the trailer. I have seen some very experienced operators with outboards and I/O’s struggle getting the boat on the trailer with the current. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes the current can’t be seen. Total disclosure... I have had some issues getting the boat back on the trailer, but that is a thing of the past now.

I installed the Cobra Jet Steering two Friday’s ago and took it out last weekend for the first time. All I can say is amazing!!! What a difference. Slow Speed control is unbelievable, now she stays straight and no turning the wheel back and forth to keep it in a straight line. It improves the handling at all speeds which is something I truly did not expect. Now for the best part.... loading it on the trailer... simply put “ holy crap” what a difference. Put it in No Wake Mode # 2 and put it on the trailer with no issues no matter the current. I watched several boats this past Saturday get sideways due to the strong under current and I was completely straight and not one issue. I looked like a pro... lol, even though I’m far from it.

If any of you were are on the fence about purchasing the CJS from Jeff, all I can say is
“DO IT” you won’t regret it. And oh yea... the install is a breeze. Jeff makes it super easy and is there for you if you have any questions. If any of you guys have any questions on it please let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

THANKS JEFF!!!

DA383591-FD4D-4FBF-BC78-74F9C3501A96.jpegA9DB2D9C-CB23-493D-A0DD-0920D2FB642F.jpeg15E129B5-1C33-47F3-A4E6-6D1FF72AE4DE.jpeg

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to hear they work well. Just installed my set for Jeff today on my boat. Same as yours, the blue is an awesome color. Took all of 15 minutes. Took longer to get all my tools out.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to take a few minutes to talk a little about my new addition... Cobra Jet Steering. First and foremost I need to mention that Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is the man! His customer service and response to all of my questions and concerns are second to none. I can’t say enough about Jeff and how pleased that I am that I decided to go with his product.

I have a 2019 SX190 and although I feel that I have really gotten to a point with the boat that my docking, loading and unloading skills are very good except for days when the current is strong, there was still the issue of the low speed (no wake) control. Here in Charleston boating is a little bit different than most places. A lot of no wake areas and the tide and current are something that really takes some getting used to. So along with the no wake slow speed control there is the issue of the current at the ramp at times trying to load the boat on the trailer. I have seen some very experienced operators with outboards and I/O’s struggle getting the boat on the trailer with the current. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes the current can’t be seen. Total disclosure... I have had some issues getting the boat back on the trailer, but that is a thing of the past now.

I installed the Cobra Jet Steering two Friday’s ago and took it out last weekend for the first time. All I can say is amazing!!! What a difference. Slow Speed control is unbelievable, now she stays straight and no turning the wheel back and forth to keep it in a straight line. It improves the handling at all speeds which is something I truly did not expect. Now for the best part.... loading it on the trailer... simply put “ holy crap” what a difference. Put it in No Wake Mode # 2 and put it on the trailer with no issues no matter the current. I watched several boats this past Saturday get sideways due to the strong under current and I was completely straight and not one issue. I looked like a pro... lol, even though I’m far from it.

If any of you were are on the fence about purchasing the CJS from Jeff, all I can say is
“DO IT” you won’t regret it. And oh yea... the install is a breeze. Jeff makes it super easy and is there for you if you have any questions. If any of you guys have any questions on it please let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

THANKS JEFF!!!

View attachment 97228View attachment 97229View attachment 97230
Man, that beautiful new pumps gives me envy!
Assuming those are set down at speed, so much more control, I couldn;t believe how good those work in my old 190, it was awesome. Especially for watersports, no longer feeling like being pushed around by stronger skiers or boarders. Also, crossing a wake you know where you are going to end up!

--

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a major difference between Cobra and the Jet boat pilot Thrust Vectors?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there a major difference between Cobra and the Jet boat pilot Thrust Vectors?
Ding... Ding... Ding... Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, grab your seats, the show is about to begin!

popcorn.gif

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The cobras will likely save you from certain death. Without them you will have no steering when you let off throttle and are coming off plane.

Is your life worth a sub par aftermarket steering system?

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree on how well CJS systems work and about Jeff's customer service. I wrote a long review last year after installing mine and a year later, I still feel the same way. I would NOT enjoy my boat nearly as much without them. And, I installed mine about 9pm one night and Jeff replied to a question within minutes.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree on how well CJS systems work and about Jeff's customer service. I wrote a long review last year after installing mine and a year later, I still feel the same way. I would NOT enjoy my boat nearly as much without them. And, I installed mine about 9pm one night and Jeff replied to a question within minutes.
Plus you’re still alive. So there’s that.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ding... Ding... Ding... Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, grab your seats, the show is about to begin!

View attachment 97378
LMAO.... Honestly it's kind of getting old though. I am on other various message boards for trucks, cars, etc. and have never seen this type of bickering back and forth about vendors. Especially since some members here seem to have a vendetta out for a certain vendor.

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a rhetorical question.... Your saying the Thrust vectors are sub par to the Cobras? Is there a specific reason why? Not looking to start a war here... Just asking :)

Mattdog501

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have a relationship with either, I'm just looking to put the best product with the best performance on my boat and would like to know what, if any, is the major difference as they both seem to be the exact same thing.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not a rhetorical question.... Your saying the Thrust vectors are sub par to the Cobras? Is there a specific reason why? Not looking to start a war here... Just asking :)
Do a search on this site and you'll find dozens of threads on them.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Here's my cookie cutter response for this age old question. There is a ton of information on this forum about both, some love TV and some love cobra. Research is going to be your best bet. To get you started though Cobra is the only one that makes fins that are always down at speed which IMO is really nice for high speed tracking while water sport boating (wakeboarding, skiing, etc). So if you are into that I'd suggest Cobra hands down. If that isn't a factor then they both make fins that are down for slow speed maneuvering and flip up for high speed giving you a more jet boat feel in the steering. I think they are both quality products but you need to figure out what will work for you.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the downside of down at speed? Is it just loss of that "jetboat feel" type of thing? .

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What's the downside of down at speed? Is it just loss of that "jetboat feel" type of thing? .
Yeah that would be the suggestion. Honestly these new boats with the more pronounced keel don't really have the "jet boat feel" of the old jet boats anyway but the fins down at speed really lock the boat into an "on-rails" type feeling. You can turn them on a dime but the rear end will not wash out as much. Some will say its safer to have the fins be able to flip up when they hit stuff but that is a bunch of BS IMO as the cobra fins have sacrificial brackets that will take the impact and it doesn't really happen in reality as they sit above the keel anyway. For me there is no downside. But I'm only one side of the story. For the record I run Cobra AK fins along with JBP Lateral Thrusters.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty much I believe, I have CJS ultimates with fangs on since the 2nd time my boat ever launched. I originally had mine to come out of the water and Jeff suggested I try it with them down. I never changed it back, and they stay down. I have since added mega fangs.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah that would be the suggestion. Honestly these new boats with the more pronounced keel don't really have the "jet boat feel" of the old jet boats anyway but the fins down at speed really lock the boat into an "on-rails" type feeling. You can turn them on a dime but the rear end will not wash out as much. Some will say its safer to have the fins be able to flip up when they hit stuff but that is a bunch of BS IMO as the cobra fins have sacrificial brackets that will take the impact and it doesn't really happen in reality as they sit above the keel anyway. For me there is no downside. But I'm only one side of the story. For the record I run Cobra AK fins along with JBP Lateral Thrusters.
That may be a nice combo. Any issues setting up the fins with the LTs? Other than creating a rip in the space-time continuum?

Thanks!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That may be a nice combo. Any issues setting up the fins with the LTs? Other than creating a rip in the space-time continuum?

Thanks!
I may be bias but in my opinion its the best of both worlds - fins and reverse control. Love the always down fins and the LTs are the bomb. A year later and love the setup even more than when I first did it. Here is my install write up from last year.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks man. I'll look into it. I agree with the best of both world thought. In theory sounds amazing.