• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I installed my Cobra jet steering over the weekend. Took about 45 minutes. Everything seems to work, so I will test them when I finally get into the water. I did set the fins in the all the way up position, as the video said it was the best starting position for my boat.
IMG_7958.JPG

I welcome feedback from anyone that has these installed. I do a lot of river riding and the river is very shallow.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I took my boat out this morning. The river was really high and the current was running super fast. It was 43 degrees and the wind was blowing.

The only thing I can say is if you haven't installed these things to your boat you are MISSING out. My boat turns on a dime. Docking was super easy and in the no wake zones all I did was put the engines in gear and I could steer. This is a GREAT product!

We where running into the wind at 53 MPH. Both engines performed at 7100 RPM's without so much as a hiccup. I can't wait to get to the lake in 3 weeks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And that was with them set ALL the way UP? COOL!

Last edited:

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
WAIT!!!???? How come mine don't look cool like that???
Saturday I was backing up to launch when a couple of guys came running over and asking about my steering. He had a Yamaha 2008 AR210. I told him BUY THEM! Best improvement by far

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well I was showing a decal that I can get if people wanted to put them on their fins but the general consensus was forgetaboutit!
As for the settings if you add the fangs you can put the fins all the way down and get precise reverse with power steering. Numerous people on this board already have them.

petestmp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
For a 2001 LS2000 would you suggest the cobra fangs or the cobra steering system. I like the smaller size of the fangs.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I would do the steering system. It is adjustable, so you can bring them up higher so they don't affect you as much, however, I started with mine up, and then ended up with them all the way down. It doesn't affect the speed at all. I am doing 55 mph easily and at idea, I can control the boat. Before I put them on, my girlfriend wouldn't drive the boat at all, now she is able to bring it to the trailer when we are docking without any issues.
Everytime I see a people on the lake with a Yamaha, I tell them how great these things are. I wouldn't own a jet boat without them.

Cobra should include a decal for the back of the boat that says "Controled by Cobra Jet" LOL

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On the earlier 2 stroke boats people like to set the fins up higher or even stagger them with the outside fins up higher than the inside fins due to the shape of the hull. There are so many variations available that we are not just a 1 trick pony, it's like getting many different systems all in one and even the less expensive magnum sets are compatible with the new fangs.

petestmp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I understand the fangs are supposed to act like power steering. Doesn't the increased size of the steering system actually add more resistance to the steering because it does not extend beyond the pivot point of the nozzle?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Any time you add any system that uses additional rudders it will naturally add some resistance to the wheel I have driven the MAGNUMS and ULTIMATES set all the way down at top speed and the feel is there but it is not a lot of feedback, obviously on the smaller boats you need less influence so you set the fins up to the level you personally feel serves you best.
Also everyone is different, so having options is always a plus. Knowing that you can upgrade to the fangs if you choose to is also a plus I do not believe people are buying those because they feel that they need them as opposed to wanting the benefit of power steering "for the admiral" and the improved reverse control and just because they want the best and most recent upgrades. I always strive to give my customers what they want, however different people have different needs and want different things especially in the Yamaha jet boat area .The fangs were not intended to be a stand alone system they are an upgrade for the regular systems. I just stocked up on all the steering systems for Yamaha jet boats, ULTIMATES, MAGNUMS ,MAGNUM A K SERIES and the FANGS for all of those systems, so I have plenty in stock currently . I have been doing this for 15 years and the Yamaha boats seem to need the most assistance but one has to remember that making fins larger to satisfy one customer may not work for another customer. So adding in all the options makes it more desirable, versatile and practical, so based on my experience I believe the magnum set would work just fine for your boat.