• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cobra vs Thrust Vectors - Opinion After Using Both

Mandiime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last year (2021) I ran the Thrust Vectors for the entire season. This season (2022) I changed to Cobras for the sole purpose of being able to use the wake wedge. I really liked my Thrust Vectors so this post is simply explaining the differences that I noticed after the change.

I am using these on a 2019 212 LTD-S. Have 750lbs on the transom and 700 in locker/stern seating. Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed controller. Wake Wedge from Gantlin. Super Magnum AK Deluxe twin engine steering assist.

1. At low speeds I really had a hard time finding anything significant. It was a really windy day today and the Cobras performed exceptionally. Last year during a very windy day I had similar performance from the Thrust Vectors. Both do what they need at low speed turning. Both are really good.

2. At high speed I felt a difference. It seems the Cobras provided a lot more response from any steering input. I assume this is due to the fact that the Cobras are in a fixed position and the Thrust Vectors actually come up out of the water. I liked how responsive the boat felt from 20-45 mph using the Cobras. However, I never really thought I needed anything more with the Thrust Vectors. Once you're moving, it really doesn't matter. I do really like the feel now though.

3. The cobras seem to track a little better than the Thrust Vectors. A lot less drift that needs to be corrected when at low speed navigating through no wake zones and such.

4. Cobras are not plastic. This is auto win for me. Much sturdier design.

As the season progresses I'll try and add any differences that I can find if any. I haven't got to tow anyone yet with the Cobras so that will be a whole new set of likes or dislikes.

This post isn't really about what one is better or worse. Like I said, I really liked the Thrust Vectors and I only changed them so I could use the wedge. I am simply trying to provide those who are trying to decide between the two some honest feedback.

Note on the pic: I had to turn that nut around on the small fins. It does in fact get in the way of the bucket while in reverse.

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_182302156.jpg
    PXL_20220528_182302156.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
I wasnt able to try both, but I did end up with cobras for some of the same reasons. Both are good products, it's all about preferences.

Last edited:
Agreed. A couple of questions:

- Are you saying the Wake Wedge doesn’t work as well with TVs?
- I’m considering getting one of the wedge systems this year. How did you decide to go with the Wake Wedge vs. The other systems?

i have the Cobras. Thx.

Last year (2021) I ran the Thrust Vectors for the entire season. This season (2022) I changed to Cobras for the sole purpose of being able to use the wake wedge. I really liked my Thrust Vectors so this post is simply explaining the differences that I noticed after the change.

I am using these on a 2019 212 LTD-S. Have 750lbs on the transom and 700 in locker/stern seating. Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS speed controller. Wake Wedge from Gantlin. Super Magnum AK Deluxe twin engine steering assist.

1. At low speeds I really had a hard time finding anything significant. It was a really windy day today and the Cobras performed exceptionally. Last year during a very windy day I had similar performance from the Thrust Vectors. Both do what they need at low speed turning. Both are really good.

2. At high speed I felt a difference. It seems the Cobras provided a lot more response from any steering input. I assume this is due to the fact that the Cobras are in a fixed position and the Thrust Vectors actually come up out of the water. I liked how responsive the boat felt from 20-45 mph using the Cobras. However, I never really thought I needed anything more with the Thrust Vectors. Once you're moving, it really doesn't matter. I do really like the feel now though.

3. The cobras seem to track a little better than the Thrust Vectors. A lot less drift that needs to be corrected when at low speed navigating through no wake zones and such.

4. Cobras are not plastic. This is auto win for me. Much sturdier design.

As the season progresses I'll try and add any differences that I can find if any. I haven't got to tow anyone yet with the Cobras so that will be a whole new set of likes or dislikes.

This post isn't really about what one is better or worse. Like I said, I really liked the Thrust Vectors and I only changed them so I could use the wedge. I am simply trying to provide those who are trying to decide between the two some honest feedback.

Note on the pic: I had to turn that nut around on the small fins. It does in fact get in the way of the bucket while in reverse.
There are so many posts on this. It usually doesn't turn out well.

- I’m considering getting one of the wedge systems this year. How did you decide to go with the Wake Wedge vs. The other systems?

i have the Cobras. Thx.
Screenshot_20220611-163740_Chrome.jpg

We also ran TV's on our AR230 and our 242X. We switched to gain steering high and low speeds. TV's also caused caused extra spray while surfing. Once we switched it was a game changer. No more extra spray and love how the boat tracks. This summer we added trim tabs. Our friend did also but does not have any steering enhancements. He is now going to add cobras to help steer at high speeds with the tabs deployed. TRIM TABS are amazing can't believe we waited so long to add them.

We also ran TV's on our AR230 and our 242X. We switched to gain steering high and low speeds. TV's also caused caused extra spray while surfing. Once we switched it was a game changer. No more extra spray and love how the boat tracks. This summer we added trim tabs. Our friend did also but does not have any steering enhancements. He is now going to add cobras to help steer at high speeds with the tabs deployed. TRIM TABS are amazing can't believe we waited so long to add them.

Agree, loved the Lectrotab trim tabs on our AR230. The best ride changing modification.

Last edited:

i have the Cobras. Thx.
Only on specific years. My 2019 212 it is not compatible.

I went with wake wedge over the other because it seems to produce the best results after watching many hours of videos

We did trim tabs last year and the cobras this year. The combo is fantastic.

Ok I guess I should put the comparison video here as well This person was contacted out of the blue by me I chose him because he does videos and I honestly thought he was happy with his thrust vectors but I also knew that if he tried my super steering compared to his thrust vectors with the lateral thrusters " remember I tell everyone to leave the stock 2019 and newer nozzles alone and not mess with the new reverse thrust so I wanted his opinion I also told him that he could keep the system for half price if he decided to remove the thrust vectors and lateral thrusters and replace them with my super magnum ak-19 deluxe system If not just return them to me. So here is his video comparing the boat with his thrust vectors and lateral thrusters and his boat with my super magnum ak-19 deluxe system alone.
now in my 21st year of making jet boats steer and drivers smile.

Back