• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobras on the boat!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Planning to hit the lake again tomorrow with the family as it's last day of my PTO from work. Just in time I received the Cobra Steering Venom Ultimate from Jeff.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Thank you Jeff for getting these out to me quickly!

I installed it this evening and since I didn't know what to expect so I set it up at the top two holes. Anyone have recommendation on different settings that works good for all-around water sports like knee, wake boarding and tubing as well as navigating to the docks & trailer?

My first impression as I installed this is that Jeff must put a lot of thought in designing these as it came with 4 parts per Jet with various hardware pieces to install these. Also I thought the fins would be little larger but there must be a reason why they are designed at this size.

Anxious to try them out tomorrow!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The install looks perfect, as for the size Haaaa just wait, you will now be able to run on plane pull the throttles back to neutral and then turn the wheel to make the boat turn one way and then the other all while off power, no more rolling the steering wheel from left to right in no wake zones you will be going straight at idle without needing to constantly make corrections.
At speed, after making a turn just release the wheel and the boat will straighten itself out instantly.
While moving at any speed look behind the boat "no wake disruptions or added spray at all, it's just as clean as it was prior to the installation, that is important to people on boards or in tubes.
It will now feel and respond like a totally different boat.
Just remember the boat will turn a 180 at speed in an instant so take it easy until you get accustom to it's quick response.
For water sports it is a totally different feel with the feedback and towing tubes you can do things towing them that is wild.
No they are definitely NOT TOO SMALL, actually the effect it so big that I made them adjustable because in some cases they may be too much for some peoples boating style.
Now with the new 7 hole setup you can easily convert them to go up at speed and only make minimal contact once on plane however for water sports I suggest the way you have them set is the way to go.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Thank you Jeff for the info and feedback on the install. I noticed that on my fins it has extra hole next to the top most adjustment hole, comparing it to the fins I saw in your latest installation video, which didn't have this. Why is that and what is this hole for?

I exchanged few messages with @Aaron Stammet who recently bought Cobra Venom Ultimate and he said it was the "Best mod yet!!!!" so I'm very much looking foward to testing this out today.

Last edited:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The Ultimates are AWESOME!!!!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear that for an extra nine bucks Jeff will polish those puppies for you. :D

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To answer your question about the 7th hole in your instructions on page 7 no less you will see an explanation , also in one of the videos I sent you it is explained.
This is a new upgraded set I began selling those on May 26th. It provides for easier transition from the stay down at speed mode to the up at speed mode , it also keeps the fins in the down mode longer than the previous setup, and it keeps a small portion of the fins connected with the water for feedback and a little extra influence at speed. I posted about this change back when I released these. I believe this video explains it

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dansshin . The year before last I transitioned from Jeff's original fins to the new Ultimates. When I first opened the box, like you, I expected a bigger fin. (guess I had fin envy) When I held the new fin up to the original fins I was a little disappointed as I thought there wasn't much more surface area for water displacement. Boy was I wrong. These new Cobra's are great. Even my wife noticed she wasn't wagging the tail of the boat anymore with the new Ultimates. If you're going from an old set to the new Ultimates you'll be impressed. If you're going from finless to the Ultimates you'll be blown away.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't have any fins before. In fact I haven't driven a jet boat until a week ago so I didn't know what to expect. But now I've experienced without and with the Cobra Steering Venom Ultimate and they definitely make a difference for the better in my opinion. It's like getting new set of sticky tires for your sports car. :winkingthumbsup" My wife said it feels more controlled too. Now I'll have to try all these different settings to see what difference if any I would notice. With so many configuration options I'm sure some members have particular settings they like best.

If anyone has good settings they want to share please post the info & picture here. If you could state why you prefer this setup it would be great for others who may want to try it.

Thank you.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't have any fins before. In fact I haven't driven a jet boat until a week ago so I didn't know what to expect. But now I've experienced without and with the Cobra Steering Venom Ultimate and they definitely make a difference for the better in my opinion. It's like getting new set of sticky tires for your sports car. :winkingthumbsup" My wife said it feels more controlled too. Now I'll have to try all these different settings to see what difference if any I would notice. With so many configuration options I'm sure some members have particular settings they like best.

If anyone has good settings they want to share please post the info & picture here. If you could state why you prefer this setup it would be great for others who may want to try it.

Thank you.
Leave it to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC to make our wives happy. ;). I leave my fins all down, all the time as I boat in the ocean and like the extra control with wind, tide and wave action.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow this sounds like a good modification. I have the original Cobra Fins but everyone is saying these make a big difference even over the old ones.

Jeff, I can always use help when the wind is blowing to dock but the other item that always happens is when I stop the boat. She will always turn left. Will these fins keep the boat straight when I stop?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It depends on WHY your boat turns left, if it just needs more influence from the fins then this will certainly give you a lot more influence in deceleration , but if your nozzles are out of alignment and that is making the boat turn I really have no answer for you. I know we use a 24 foot boat with the fins set all the way down and the steering at all speeds is just unbelievable even doing s turns in the off power mode while decelerating with the controls are in neutral. Think about that steering a jet boat with the engines and controls in neutral while decelerating from a planning speed. How many people have pulled their throttles back in a panic situation only to have the boat go into a spin.
This steering responded to the helm and we had it do a S turn using the steering wheel only.