• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coffee Snobs ?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must admit, I have become a coffee snob....sigh.... I think I am obsessed with trying to brew the perfect cup of coffee! And like Alice and her rabbit hole, this may lead to a long journey!

My routine is 2 cups of coffee every morning. Every now and then I will have 3, but very rarely. I like strong coffee so I tend to stick with dark roasts. I figured I would share my setup and compare to others out there, if there are any.......

I use a pour over Chemex with Chemex filters. I have a fairly cheap burr grinder. I don't measure the temp of the water, but what I do is bring water to boil, pour some water in my mug to pre heat the mug, then let the pot sit for about 30-45 seconds to cool a little.

I have been buying my beans from Sprouts because they seem to have a larger selection. I usually only buy a half pound of 2 types of beans. Lately I have been buying a Kona and a Guatemalan bean and I'll switch between the 2. I use a digital kitchen scale and measure out 26 grams of beans. I grind those to a medium course grind. After water has cooled a bit I pour 80-100 ounces over the grounds to bloom the grounds and wait 45 seconds, then I slowly pour water over the grounds till the scale reads 442g. That is a ratio of 17-1. I'm curious what others are using for the ratio. I've heard everything from 15-1 to 18-1.

For the non coffee snob I know this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I can do all these steps very quickly, almost in my sleep, which is most mornings....yawn... If I'm hitting the road and taking coffee to go, then I use one of those 20 oz yeti mugs and I know to increase my bean weight to 32g and the corresponding water is 544g.

Curious to know what others are doing and what kinds of beans. I attached a pic. Don't let the Kuerig fool you. That is my 19 year old daughters rig!!!IMG_0943.jpg

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
fun obsession to have.

While not a "snob" I appreciate a good cup of coffee. and its not complicated to me... :) I used to grind my own... and use a press... Whichis DELIGHTFUL when camping to have a good blend of hot coffee on a cold morning.... Something very therapeutic there...

Dont hate on the Keurig though. Still use one. just refuse to use the k-cups. I have filter baskets, so I can pick which blends I want!

fun hobby.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well damn you make my Folgers in my pour over brewer sound unappealing now.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love searching out coffee roasters in different cities. We have one here in Denton, TX that is a small little coffee roaster that also brews coffee. Every now and then I will buy some beans from them. Last one I got was Milk and Honey which was a medium roast. Name of the shop is West Oak Coffee Shop https://westoakcoffeebar.com/ They roast on Tuesdays, so I will go up there on Wednesdays and try different coffees.

Let me tell you, I am a serious amateur as it relates to some folks out there!!

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm not a coffee snob either, but I do grind my own beans and I use the "rick brew" on my Ninja coffee maker. I like my coffee dark and strong, but a a little cream, not flavored. It's my morning ritual I have two brands I do with; David & Harry Moose Munch for those flavored days, however, Peaberry Dark Roast Whole Bean Kona Coffee by KOA coffee is my all time favorite.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, that's faaaaaancy. I just got a Ninja Coffee Bar, but still keep things fairly simple. I asked for a grinder from the wifey for Christmas.

My neighbors own this company, they source beans all around the world, roast them fresh and send them out. They just opened a shop up around the corner, good coffee if you're looking for to get something different each month. I might sign up once I have a grinder. https://roastcoffeeandteacompany.com/collections/green-coffee-subscription

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a Coffee addict as well and liked reading your routine/method.

I used to go so far as to order green coffee beans from around the world and I home-roasted them . It was a good experience but something i only did for a little while. For my daily machine, I have a semi automatic espresso maker that grinds the beans automatically and then feeds the ground coffee into an espresso pod where it then runs through an espresso, pressurized pump into a cup. It also has a frother so many times I add steamed milk. The machine is a delonghi and I have also used a Jura in the past. You press a button and your coffee/espresso is made instantly leading to me drinking a lot of coffee all day.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! I'm impressed. I love Charleston Coffee Roasters coffee.

https://www.charlestoncoffeeroasters.com/

I grind it super fine with our Nutri-Bullet and brew it with room temp filtered water. I do sprinkle a pinch of salt on top of the grinds to take away the bitterness. Great cup of coffee, I make mine extra bold, and on occasion I've finished 4 cups before my wife could get one.....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Y'all gonna hate me but I don't have time in the morning to do all of that so I use K-cups in the Keurig. I fire it up a few mins before heading out the door and it's enough to get me to work lol.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So for Christmas I got an electric gooseneck kettle that will hold the temperature at a preset setting. I'm so excited!!! My buddy who shares my passion texted me the other day and said he just brewed some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee that would make you "slap your mammy"..... I got a chuckle out of that one. Now I'm in search for an inexpensive source to buy Blue Mountain coffee!!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m not a coffee snob, I’ve drank enough military tar so I’ll take what I can get. I do like Jamaican Blue Mountain as we had at Sandals and loved it. I usually mix a pound of that with a pound of cafe bustelo and use it till it runs out. I like strong espresso coffee or Cuban Coffee when I’m in Miami area.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got a nice grinder for Christmas :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been reading this thread for a bit. Occurred to me that I might be a reverse coffee snob :)

Wife bought me a 15lb bag of Waffle House beans and a cheap $15 grinder for Christmas. Had the first cup (through our Mr Coffee) this morning, and it was delicious!

Does this make me a reverse snob?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Accidentally bought some really expensive coffee. Was looking for beans to use with my new grinder. Grabbed a can of Illy for $12. Didn't realize it was only a half pound until I got home, lol. It is quite tasty.

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm an absolute reverse coffee snob. Bunn coffee maker and Folgers coffee. Like @2nazt I've had enough Army coffee to float one or two of our boats.[flag]

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Y'all gonna hate me but I don't have time in the morning to do all of that so I use K-cups in the Keurig. I fire it up a few mins before heading out the door and it's enough to get me to work lol.
You are not alone. 16 oz of Kirkland Pacific Bold (2 K cups) black each morning for me. I enjoy high end dark coffee but enjoy the convenience more and .....I work from home so I don’t have an excuse other than laziness.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hehe. Years and years on construction sites where the catering truck (a.k.a. 'roach coach') brings brown stuff of indeterminate flavor and temperature and one looses one's "coffee palate"! Caffeine? Warm? I'm good.
(Still amazes me to be behind someone at Starbucks that goes on with a five minute list of ingredients. How the hell did you arrive at THAT mix!)

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was watching an old episode of Good Eats over the holidays and he talked about coffee. Alton Brown is very much a coffee snob.

One thing he recommended and I tried is to put a small amount of salt in the coffee to counteract some of the bitterness. I drink my coffee black and sometimes it's a bit too bitter for me. This worked out great. Something to do with tricking the taste buds to not taste bitter.

What I need is a good grinder. I have an old electric mill and I know that is not the best.