• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Colorado Diesel

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Finally traded my ‘09 Jeep Rubicon in on a new Chevy Colorado Diesel Z71 4x4. The jeep was fun but sucked at pulling the Fsh190. Between the 3.6L mini-van motor and the 35” MTR’s even with 4.10 gears and the 6spd it could barely get out of its way. Forget going up a bridge in anything less than 4th and maybe 3rd gear.
The Colorado diesel is a dream. With nearly 400lb-ft of torque down low it doesn’t even know the boat is there. It gets 34 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg pulling the damn boat! My jeep didn't get that without the boat. The jake break is awesome and really helps slow it down. Anyone looking for a great tow rig with diesel power at a great price; go test drive this little diesel. Creepy quit too.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally traded my ‘09 Jeep Rubicon in on a new Chevy Colorado Diesel Z71 4x4. The jeep was fun but sucked at pulling the Fsh190. Between the 3.6L mini-van motor and the 35” MTR’s even with 4.10 gears and the 6spd it could barely get out of its way. Forget going up a bridge in anything less than 4th and maybe 3rd gear.
The Colorado diesel is a dream. With nearly 400lb-ft of torque down low it doesn’t even know the boat is there. It gets 34 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg pulling the damn boat! My jeep didn't get that without the boat. The jake break is awesome and really helps slow it down. Anyone looking for a great tow rig with diesel power at a great price; go test drive this little diesel. Creepy quit too.
I looked hard at the Colorado Diesel. It checked all the boxes except for one.....interior space. At 6'2" and 230lbs I'm a bigger fella, and like my space. The fullsize pickup offered a little more comfy ride for me. Otherwise, I really liked the Colorado!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I owned two of the first generation Colorados. 2004 and 2008 before moving on to a full sized Sierra. I have looked at the Colorado/Canyon each time before getting my next Sierra. That diesel makes so much sense, especially for those that want similar towing of a 1/2 ton truck, but want to downsize a bit. Great choice.

Those that bark about it being priced the same as a full sized truck don't get it. I compared feature to feature on each of my three Sierras, and it was a true $10,000 savings going small. I was just never in a position of needing the smaller format truck, so I stayed full sized. When I had my Colorados, I had a small two stall garage, and the space was worth it. I'm 6'2" 240lb, and size of the drivers seat was never an issue. And the new cab is even better than the old.

Thanks for the write up!

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Enjoy the truck! I have the GMC Canyon diesel and towed a 242 ltd s over 5000 miles last year with no problems.
I am looking at adding towing mirrors though.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I too bought a Colorado z71 back in May. I strongly considered the diesel, but with only 1 diesel pump in town and every landscaper at that pump, I opted for the gasser.

Amazing truck - very happy with decision.

Good luck with her.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PeterB @Earfixr

Still enjoying your diesels?

Any issues so far?
any idea what sort of real world mileage your getting from it?

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottintexas - My Canyon is still running strong. I’ve got about 60k miles on it. 15k were towing our 24’ boat. I have had three issues to date, all of which were covered by warranty and repaired quickly:
1. Failed DEF pump - this was the most difficult because the truck computer cuts speed after 100 miles when the def system fails
2. Failed transfer motor on 4x drive system
3. Failed engine computer- still ran, but would not go into tow mode - I was 100 miles into a 200 mile trip at the time towing. There was a “reduced engine power” message, but I could not notice any power loss. Lost use of the engine braking though, which I really rely on.

Mileage around town is low to mid 20’s. Highway 26-30 - long flat runs at 70 mph gets 30-31. Over 70 drops that quickly.
Towing the 24 Ltd s, we get about 13-14. We were only getting 11-12 before adjusting tongue weight and changing to radial tires on the trailer

I drove from Chicago to Austin TX last month and it averaged at 28 including trips between Austin and Round Rock for 6 days while in TX.

It’s a nice truck if you need something smaller than a full size truck. It fits in city parking garages, and our garage easily but there are times I wish I had a larger truck and a few more features common in today’s vehicles- like keyless entry.

I added extendable tow mirrors, an air lift kit and a tonneau cover. These have been great added features. Towing without the airlift is not comfortable- the steering gets funky

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the real world feedback.

I've been wondering a few times if I should be giving the Diesel Colorado another shot. My 190 is a lot smaller than your 242, and I am doing a considerable amount of commuting now. I really like me interior space, and it sounds like the mileage difference would take quite some time to recoup the cost of trading at this point. I'm getting high teens on my Sierra (5.3) on my commute, and low 20's on road trips. I see about 13-14 when towing depending on how much time I spend on the expressway on the way to the lake and back.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The specs on those little diesels are awesome! Their more like a half ton when properly equip. Seems like it would be sensible for them to put it in a Silverado/Sierra... although it looks like their expected to release versions with a new 3.0L Duramax soon in a attempt to one up the F150 Powerstroke.

Waiting for the fabled diesel Toyota Tundra is like waiting for Yamaha to offer twin SVHO's...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottintexas
It’s a nice truck if you need something smaller than a full size truck. It fits in city parking garages, and our garage easily but there are times I wish I had a larger truck and a few more features common in today’s vehicles- like keyless entry.
Amazing mileage numbers for sure! What the hell, no keyless entry? All GM vehicles have had that for years. Including my two Colorados from 2004 and 2008. What Heat/keys base package did you buy? I would be disappointed too. Now I get pissy when I don't have remote start on my cell phone standard. As my last three Sierras have had that. As the GM Key fobs have poor range for remote start.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was the top level with almost every available options- the year before they offered a Denali version- but even that doesn’t have the expected features of today’s market. The dealer said they wanted to keep the price point under the full size trucks - frankly I bought for convenience of a smaller truck not price. The incentives on full size at the time made the price difference a non issue.
The rear window is manual also- same on the Denali - another feature I would like to have. There is an aftermarket version but then you lose defrost.
We still like the truck though, and it tows well.
For @2kwik4u - if commuting costs is part of the interest, keep in mind that diesel is often higher priced than regular gas. This varies considerably, but I find operating cost about a wash compared to a larger gas vehicle with lower mileage.
Of course then I run a twin engine boat all weekend a burn through a lot of fuel, so I try not to think about fuel costs too much!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I see a theme here. I 'm guessing the trucks that ship to the North include the cold weather options like block heater and autostart. Thus the autostart requires a key fob remote. The Canyons I compared to and the Colorado trucks I owned had those, but were purchased in MN and ND.

I giggle when I go to CA or TX and see 2WD pickups equiped with Off road packages. I guess the off road look is popular in CA, even 4WD is not. We have to special order 2WD up here.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 4x4 look is very much a thing here in Texas. Whether it's a pickup or a Jeep. Toyota used to make a Tacoma Prerunner that had everything a 4x4 had except the transfer case. A majority of the half ton trucks are 2wd and the heavy duties are 4wd that I see. My current truck is my first 4x4 truck and I'll never be without one. Having that feature has gotten me out of many limited traction situations.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I see a theme here. I 'm guessing the trucks that ship to the North include the cold weather options like block heater and autostart. Thus the autostart requires a key fob remote. The Canyons I compared to and the Colorado trucks I owned had those, but were purchased in MN and ND.

I giggle when I go to CA or TX and see 2WD pickups equiped with Off road packages. I guess the off road look is popular in CA, even 4WD is not. We have to special order 2WD up here.
The 4x4 look is very much a thing here in Texas. Whether it's a pickup or a Jeep. Toyota used to make a Tacoma Prerunner that had everything a 4x4 had except the transfer case. A majority of the half ton trucks are 2wd and the heavy duties are 4wd that I see. My current truck is my first 4x4 truck and I'll never be without one. Having that feature has gotten me out of many limited traction situations.
Funny little story.

About 8 years ago my buddy and I rode our bicycles from Louisville KY, to Philadelphia, PA. We did 700miles in 7 days, and had his very soon to retire dad follow us in my 2003 Yukon. he would meet us every 25-40 miles to refill water bottles, grab a snack, etc. It was a great adventure. His Dad was in the process of spec'ing and deciding on what RV package he was going to retire into to tour the country. He had it down to a 2500 pickup and 5th wheel combination, and had actually already chosen the 5th wheel. He was on the fence about 2wd vs 4wd on the pickup because he didn't intend to do any off-roading, and was going to see mostly highway/biway mileage towing the camper. We had great conversations over dinner that week about trucks and rv's and his plans. Fast forward to last year. My buddy is remarried, his Dad has retired and has been touring teh country for the last few years. His dad tells me over drinks as we're catching up that he ended up choosing the 4wd pickup over the 2wd. It was based on driving my Yukon on that trip years ago. Apparantly he pulled down a dirt road exploring while between rest stops on day 3, and got the Yukon stuck after attempting to do a U-Turn in a field. Said he had to get the manual out and read how the 4wd worked because he was afraid he would break something. Once he had 4wd engaged, he handily pulled out of the wet grass/mud field and proceeded straight to a car wash to "destroy the evidence" of his little excursion. He was deathly afraid I would be upset at him "tearing up" my nice SUV. That incident alone showed him the value of having 4wd in a vehicle, even if you aren't "Off-Roading" it much. Of course I had to set him straight and tell him that I would have been proud of him for using the Yukon as it was intended, and wouldn't have been the least bit upset over the deal. Apparently he used 4wd about once or twice a year in his RV'ing around the country. He said every single time, there was a good chance a tow truck wouldn't have gotten to them in a timely manner, and he's very glad he made that choice.

I've always been the same way as you guys. Any penalty I pay for the 4wd in terms of mileage, up front cost, or maintenance has always been handily repaid with the peace of mind in knowing I have that capability when I need it. Self reliance is worth the money.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny little story.

About 8 years ago my buddy and I rode our bicycles from Louisville KY, to Philadelphia, PA. We did 700miles in 7 days, and had his very soon to retire dad follow us in my 2003 Yukon. he would meet us every 25-40 miles to refill water bottles, grab a snack, etc. It was a great adventure. His Dad was in the process of spec'ing and deciding on what RV package he was going to retire into to tour the country. He had it down to a 2500 pickup and 5th wheel combination, and had actually already chosen the 5th wheel. He was on the fence about 2wd vs 4wd on the pickup because he didn't intend to do any off-roading, and was going to see mostly highway/biway mileage towing the camper. We had great conversations over dinner that week about trucks and rv's and his plans. Fast forward to last year. My buddy is remarried, his Dad has retired and has been touring teh country for the last few years. His dad tells me over drinks as we're catching up that he ended up choosing the 4wd pickup over the 2wd. It was based on driving my Yukon on that trip years ago. Apparantly he pulled down a dirt road exploring while between rest stops on day 3, and got the Yukon stuck after attempting to do a U-Turn in a field. Said he had to get the manual out and read how the 4wd worked because he was afraid he would break something. Once he had 4wd engaged, he handily pulled out of the wet grass/mud field and proceeded straight to a car wash to "destroy the evidence" of his little excursion. He was deathly afraid I would be upset at him "tearing up" my nice SUV. That incident alone showed him the value of having 4wd in a vehicle, even if you aren't "Off-Roading" it much. Of course I had to set him straight and tell him that I would have been proud of him for using the Yukon as it was intended, and wouldn't have been the least bit upset over the deal. Apparently he used 4wd about once or twice a year in his RV'ing around the country. He said every single time, there was a good chance a tow truck wouldn't have gotten to them in a timely manner, and he's very glad he made that choice.

I've always been the same way as you guys. Any penalty I pay for the 4wd in terms of mileage, up front cost, or maintenance has always been handily repaid with the peace of mind in knowing I have that capability when I need it. Self reliance is worth the money.
Not nearly as good of a story as yours, but years ago I got our family pick up truck 2wd stuck on a sloping part of our backyard trying to use it for something, I don’t even remember what. Needed a tow truck to get out... what a hassle not to mention the look on my MIL’s face when she showed up at the scene (of course she did!). And that was it. I basically would not consider a new truck or suv without AWD/4WD.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With rear wheels in the wet slime zone of a ramp, I would always want 4wd. I've lost rear wheel traction on ramps a few times with this and other rigs. The front wheels are typically on the dry part of the ramp without too much algae or seaweed, unless it's a very tidal area at low tide. Either way, four wheels in drive have a better chance of not losing your rig to gravity, and becoming a YouTube boat ramp fail hit.
I line up on the ramp, switch to 4 wheel lock, then switch out once the trailer is back on dry pavement. Our family stress level at the ramp is very low, and I aim to keep it that way.
If considering a Colorado/Canyon- remember it's lighter than a full size SUV or truck, so the weight over the drier wheels on a ramp is lower than bigger rigs.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The front wheels are typically on the dry part of the ramp without too much algae or seaweed, unless it's a very tidal area at low tide.
That is true and usually a better scenario.
Except if tongue weight is very significant...
It can get ugly (or hilarious?)

--

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on my 2nd GMC Canyon with the Baby Duramax. I put a over 40K miles each year on my truck so I keep a fresh one.
I pulled my 212 on trips well over 1 1/2 hours and now pulling a NXT22. Our lake has steep ramps and I have never had an issue. Great little truck and pulls great.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does the back end look once you've got that 24' hitched ? Does she squat a lot ? Or does the tow package add stiffer springs ? Currently I'm using my son's Dodge 1500 4x4 and a friend says that even that truck isn't big enough. I gave him all the specs on the diesel Colorado with tow package and he says No Way.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone that says a half ton 4x4 pickup is not enough to tow one of these boats has no clue. Unless you have the weakest springs in the world, there is no reason it should not be able to handle it safely and within the load capacity of the vehicle.

The photo in my signature is of us towing our 242 roughly 1700 miles with ease.