• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connect Power (Red) from Amplifier directly to House Battery or Dual Battery Switch?

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you connect the positive power line from the amplifiers?

I installed an m600/6 and an m200/2 and ran 4 lines (power and ground for each amp) of 4 gauge from helm to battery compartment.

Currently, they are connected directly onto the house battery (with fuses), but I am thinking they should be connected to the dual battery system.

Best I can tell, the "D" post of the BEP system (716) is the correct mounting point.

Anyone have any advice to offer?

And I promise, pictures are coming!

Thanks
Ken

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What battery switch are you using? The battery switch I have has 3 posts, Battery 1, Battery 2, and Common. The common post it the one you would connect the amp cables to....

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Switch matters. I have an on off combine and the amps go to the side of the switch that the house battery is on. if you go direct to battery then you can't completely disconnect them and isolate battery. Don't forget to fuse them as well...

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BEP 716 is the switch. Three independent switches and the VSR. You can set starter "on or off," House "on or off", emergency parallel "both on".

Image-4892322-31023107-3-WebLarge_0_215779539cb5dd7522225e92edb49d6f_1.jpg

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would send the amp positive cable through the house switch then.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is what I am thinking. Thanks.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To minimize wire you could have done one big power and ground ( 0-2awg) to where the amps are and then done the appropriate wire off of a fused distribution block for the power and a ground block for the negative. Just an idea.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider I agree, but when you buy the slampaks you get what you get. It would be nice if they could recognize if you were going to buy both the interior and the tower kit and provide a more elegant install solution, but I guess that would not be expedient for JL Audio and/or yamaha.

In any event, yesterday I dis-mounted the BEP 716 and connected my two power lines. Re-mounted and all seems good.

Except now I am thinking that I may need a busbar for all the grounds, but I know nothing about busbars???

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider I agree, but when you buy the slampaks you get what you get. It would be nice if they could recognize if you were going to buy both the interior and the tower kit and provide a more elegant install solution, but I guess that would not be expedient for JL Audio and/or yamaha.

In any event, yesterday I dis-mounted the BEP 716 and connected my two power lines. Re-mounted and all seems good.

Except now I am thinking that I may need a busbar for all the grounds, but I know nothing about busbars???

Gotcha!!

I just installed some blue sea 1/4-20 bus bars on my boat. 150amp max should be more then enough.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider In my system there are a number of grounds going to the house battery (especially with the two new ones from the amps) and a number to the starter battery, I am assuming they each need their own bus? Would you agree?

In other words, I connect all the blacks from the house battery to a bus, and then connect one from that bus to the house post.

Same, but separate for the starter?

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Switch matters. I have an on off combine and the amps go to the side of the switch that the house battery is on. if you go direct to battery then you can't completely disconnect them and isolate battery. Don't forget to fuse them as well...
I'm not certain from your description, but....
If your amp positive is connected to the post of the switch that also goes to the house battery then that is electrically the same as going directly to the battery and you aren't isolating the battery from the amp when the switch is off.

See PaulyB's post above. It sounds like you have the 3 post battery switch (on-off-combine) which means your amp cable should connect to the common post, not the battery 2 post

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider Also, would the same hold true for the power lines. Could I do 4 buses? Two red, two black?

Then, if I add an onboard charger, do I hook that to the bus or the actual battery post? Finally, can you double up on a post (i.e. can I put both my amp 4 AWG grounds on one post on the bus).

I hope this make sense, I am totally new to this.

Thanks
Ken

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider In my system there are a number of grounds going to the house battery (especially with the two new ones from the amps) and a number to the starter battery, I am assuming they each need their own bus? Would you agree?

In other words, I connect all the blacks from the house battery to a bus, and then connect one from that bus to the house post.

Same, but separate for the starter?
Sounds right!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider Also, would the same hold true for the power lines. Could I do 4 buses? Two red, two black?

Then, if I add an onboard charger, do I hook that to the bus or the actual battery post? Finally, can you double up on a post (i.e. can I put both my amp 4 AWG grounds on one post on the bus).

I hope this make sense, I am totally new to this.

Thanks
Ken
Yes you could do that with the power wires as well. AS long as you do not exceed your amperage for your bar you are free to add as many as you would like to a post. I would try to evenly distribute though.

I would hook the onboard charger directly to the batteries but I do not have a VSR so this may be wrong, hopefully someone who has a VSR will chime in.

Am I correct in assuming that the VSR only applies to the stators when charging the boat batteries while running and the dual bank charger has no effect on this at all?

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Technically each amp should have its own power and ground wire, regardless on weather your installing both kits or not. A lot of times people will use a larger wire and jump them from amp to amp which technically is incorrect.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I installed mine through the house switch.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Technically each amp should have its own power and ground wire, regardless on weather your installing both kits or not. A lot of times people will use a larger wire and jump them from amp to amp which technically is incorrect.

Good way to cause a huge issue ( fire, overloading )right there!!

That's why they make distribution blocks So one doesn't loop amp to amp.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was under the impression that a single ground bus is fine across the starter and house circuits (as long as that bus can handle it)
It is but for simplicity is all @Kennc is eluding too.