• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering a Yamaha VX

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Newer to jet skis and considering getting one. Had them when I was a kid but that was many years ago. Was looking at the Seadoo GTI or the Yamaha VX. My first instinct is to stay with Yamaha and get into the 1.8 HO because I know that engine from the boats but am open to other options. Wondering what people think of the TR1 in the non HO VX models? Is the TR1 on par with the 1.8 as far as reliability? Not worried about the power as Im sure the TR1 is enough power for me but more interested in the reliability as I know the 1.8s have been very reliable for me on the boats. Also what about Seadoo? We tested the GTI last week and loved it. I really liked the GTI but don’t know much about Seadoo. Again reliability is the most important thing to me, any of these options will be fine power and performance wise I think.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have 2, VX Deluxe skis that I bought new in 2016. I have had zero issues with them. Top speed is around 54 MPH. I upgraded from the basic VX because of the NO WAKE mode feature and the DRIVE feature that allows to to set your speed and not have to worry about constant throttle adjustment.. GREAT for cruising and plenty of power for pulling a skier or tube. You can increase or decrease you speed in increments by just pushing a button. The speed is RPM based, however not GPS. It seats 3 and is a great ride. I previously owned 2001 Polaris. The ride and comfort in water with a little chop is much better and quite comfortable. Maintenance wise, the 3 cylinder engine is smaller and everything is very accessible. They are reasonably priced and considered entry level, but I think they are much better than that. They were about $23,000 drive out with the trailer. You can't beat Yamaha reliability! Highly recommended!