• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering fsh for first boat

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey everyone I thought I would get on here and try to see how the 190 fsh is since there seems to be quite a few owners on here. I live in San Antonio Texas so this boat would see both salt and fresh water. This would be my first boat so I would like to the how the maintenance is for someone who has never had a boat. I was also wondering if there is a flushing port so I can clean it out after salt water use and what the shallowest water y'all would run through? Thanks and input would help.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha boats are very low maintenance compared to anything else on the market. Annual servicing consists of an oil and spark plug change that you can do in 30 minutes the second time.

There is a flush port to flush out the engine after saltwater usage.

I believe a FSH would make a great starter boat.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do it! FSH is a great first boat. Lowest maintenance boat you can find. Jets have no lower unit, props or waterpump impeller to fail or worry about. It does have a fresh water flush connection. Even my little 7 yr old knows the trick; engine on, water on, water off, engine off. When you're done just flush the motor for a few minutes and hose the whole boat off. Super easy. As far as "run" through depth? I've run thru 18" while on plane knowing it would be risky if I had to come off plane. I fish in 18" all the time with 4 batteries, full fuel load, a live well full of shrimp and 3 big guys but using the trolling motor with zero effort.
Go for a demo ride from your dealer. Its just a big wave runner. For the $/foot you can't beat it on features. Every boat is a compromise in some direction of form and function. For me the FSH was the best of all worlds for what we do 90% of the time.

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We like our FSH a bunch but you really have to make a strong determination on what you plan to do with the boat. It does many things very well and does other things poorly. For example, if you are a solo fisherman and fish in water that has a lot of current, this boat is absolutely disastrous. This boat is terrible in larger waves (probably all 19's). The fuel tank is small (positive or negative). Reverse on this boat is poor.... but this boat is great in some many other ways! Great use of space, fun to drive, super easy maintenance and cost of ownership, I could go on and on.... just define your uses clearly and see if it fits.

You can email me and we can talk on the phone if you wish: softballbryan@yahoo.com

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We like our FSH a bunch but you really have to make a strong determination on what you plan to do with the boat. It does many things very well and does other things poorly. For example, if you are a solo fisherman and fish in water that has a lot of current, this boat is absolutely disastrous. This boat is terrible in larger waves (probably all 19's). The fuel tank is small (positive or negative). Reverse on this boat is poor.... but this boat is great in some many other ways! Great use of space, fun to drive, super easy maintenance and cost of ownership, I could go on and on.... just define your uses clearly and see if it fits.

You can email me and we can talk on the phone if you wish: softballbryan@yahoo.com
Awesome thanks for all the info so far everyone. I have a test ride scheduled for Sunday so hopefully all goes well. What is the hard part about fishing solo on this thing when in current? Would having a trolling motor with ipilot help?

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I fish solo in wind and mild current with no problems using my iPilot and an 80# Ulterra Riptide. If wind and current are 90 degrees off the anchor feature makes the boat "Crazy Ivan" and spin at random moments but that's a minn kota flaw more than a FSH problem. In Tejas you'll be in similar conditions as me down in La. It will be fine.

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A trolling motor would help immensely with fishing solo. I'm located in a place where a trolling motor is not really practical but if I were it would make fishing solo a breeze with this boat.

Spot lock options would be helpful where I live, but adding extra batteries and weight to an already under powered boat where I live with the wave height..... not gonna do it

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have had my FSH almost a year now...4 trips to keys and out on the Gulf just about every weekend... have not had one regret...LOVE the boat...love the open back swim deck ...makes it feel more like a 21-23 footer with the extra space back there... This is my first boat and have not felt that I have outgrown it for my needs..... you will love it I'm sure

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I fish solo in wind and mild current with no problems using my iPilot and an 80# Ulterra Riptide. If wind and current are 90 degrees off the anchor feature makes the boat "Crazy Ivan" and spin at random moments but that's a minn kota flaw more than a FSH problem. In Tejas you'll be in similar conditions as me down in La. It will be fine.
Awesome thanks. Where do you fish at in la? I'll be headed that way in 2 weeks to try and catch some reds and trout

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hopedale or the Biloxi Marsh depending on the weather and season. The trout are here and reds are thick in the marsh. Shoot me a message if you want a ride on the FSH and end up on the East side of La.

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hopedale or the Biloxi Marsh depending on the weather and season. The trout are here and reds are thick in the marsh. Shoot me a message if you want a ride on the FSH and end up on the East side of La.
Thanks for the offer! I'll be in New Orleans and fishing around belle chasse I think

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Down the River should be great fishing. You can't go wrong anywhere between Empire and Venice. Depending on the wind you can fish either side of the River. Good luck.

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any more feedback on the fsh? My test drive got pushed back to next week so it's the waiting game again.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had my FSH Sport for almost a year. I agree on the current and wind as it's not as responsive at an outboard. However, even with an outboard, wind and current make the challenge interesting. I try to avoid boat ramps with strong currents. So do my cousins with their 22.5' and 25' CC with outboards. Dock rash sucks and I've already skinned mine up docking in the wind and waves. I don't want to be out in mine in over 2' seas. There again, I don't want to be out in over 2' seas in my cousins' 25' Mako or Seahunt 225 Triton either. They agree. It gets old bouncing like a pogo stick after a couple of hours. If I could afford a new Mako 214 with the options that come standard on my Sport, I'd jump on it. As it is, I'm very happy with my FSH Sport. Maintenance is as easy as a small 4cyl car. Flushing the engine is very easy. The flush port is by your ankle as you stand at the helm. The T-top is great with the ability to quickly install and remove the canvas. The changing room is almost unheard of in a 19' boat. I keep a 5gal bucket with bags in mine as a make shift head. Compared to the 184 Mako, you get a lot more options for the money. At the price of a little less freeboard.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We've had our since last july. We liked the changing room where we added a porti potty and the open rear deck right off the first time we saw one. We are very happy with the boat. Fishing, cruising or just relaxing it fits the bill nicely for us. Ive added some rod holders and a trolling motor to the bow and it fishes great. Have impressed a few buddies with the boat. I did add cobra jet fins to the drive and that helped with slow speed handling(i troll at 1.4 to 2 mph). The waters here on lake erie can get pretty nasty and ive been out in 3-4 footers running in after a trip and although it did ok, I dont like to fish those seas though. I prefer 2 foot or less as i did in my 24 boat. The boat has performed great and I am very happy with it. We looked at other makes, whalers, nautic star, sea hunt and grady white during our search. I wanted a trailer boat but a head for the misses and she liked no motor to fish around. Late season fishing is possible with how easy it is to drain the water out of the engine.

put the test ride thru its paces. Make a list of your concerns and go have fun.

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My test drive is tomorrow morning so hopefully all goes well. Thanks for all the input! Now I have an idea what to look at and test out when I'm on the water

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
How did the test drive go?

tony ramirez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How did the test drive go?
It went really good. I like the boat the only thing that had me thinking was the top speed only being about 37. Anyone have a problem with the lack of speed ? I've been working overtime and the woman had been working too so we haven't had time to talk about things yet

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a little bit of rpmaphobia so I'll admit I don't know what top speed is in my FSH. I run 6k rpm at about 25-30mph depending on wind and waves. Are new Yamaha jet boats rpm limited electronically for break in or can they run wide open right out of the box?