• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Converting a Limited S E-series to a 242X

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys, Long time browser, first time poster. I was hunting for a 242x and stumbled across an amazing end of year deal on a limited s e-series so we made the deal ( especially cause the wife loves the red)

My only regret is that I don't have an integrated ballast system. I did notice that in the connext setting it has a place to choose your boat model... Could I change the software to run the x models and just buy the hardware such as pumps, lines and bags? What am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing surfable by next year and although I have heard rumors of Yamahas new wake boarder helping to design a ballast bag that fits on the rear platform which adds a lot of weight while still maintaining some function, I would really love to have the integrated system that I can just add to when needed.

I boat in Utah if that helps anyone direct me to some experts ha ha. Thanks in advance for any help.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great question! I don't know the answer, but am very interested about the Connext flexibility for adding future upgrades and features. Watching this.

And welcome to the club!
:Welcome:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From everything I've read around here, there is a separate pump control module that the X boats have. I believe @Glen is having his repaired right now. You could purchase the OEM parts and install, but it would probably be cheaper to install a custom system. There have been some really nice ones done on here for $1-2k. You wouldn't have control through the touchscreen, but a couple extra switches wouldn't be that bad.

I'm not sure about the connext controls though. If they are able to be flashed with the ballast controls it would have to be done by Yamaha.

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick replies. I was afraid that a separate module would be needed. It does seem weird that there is a spot to input your models code on the connext. Almost seems like the software is there but just needs to be unlocked via the code. I am ocd when it comes to the finish on my boat so having everything integrated into the stock system was the goal even if it cost a little more. I probably need to do a cost comparison of the stock system components compared to an aftermarket system. That will probably help persuade me. I wish we had a Yamaha rep that could help clarify the expansion abilities of the connext system.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the gateway handles the screen commands to control the pumps. If so and the gateway has the same hardware and firmware then all one would need to do is run the pump wires into the gateway plug in the same locations and change the model in Connext. I could confirm this if I had both wiring diagrams and both model boats with my the reader that I made that picks up the proprietary canbus signals.

If someone wanted to try this they would just need to wire up the same connections as the x model to a dmm and change the model on the connext screen. This sounds like something I would want to do on my 242ls. I am about to have it wrapped for the impending winter but if some can send me an 242x wiring diagram I could TRY to fit it in before wrapping.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On second though this would not work for a non eseries like mine because the thottle commands are sent via the canbus on the eseries and this would pop a communication error for not having the electronic throttles once the model was switched. Not to mention the non eseries throttles probally would not work and what good would ballast do if you could not go anywhere. That said an e series to x series is still quite possible and my offer to check out the wiring diagram of an x series stands.

That or if an x owner is willing to trace their pump wires to confirm they go into the black box gateway under the starboard rear seat.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that @Glen's 242X is is having the ballast controller replaced. This suggests there may be a separate ballast controller.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could be that they are calling the gateway the ballast controller or could be that the controller plugs into the gateway or could even be that the controller operates off of 2nk canbus. I can nearly garuntee that if controlled from connext screen there is n2k canbus proprietary iso address claiming involved somewhere. Again I could confirm with a wiring diagram as to how it works on the x.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well curiosity got me and I looked in the parts diagram on online parts resellers. I found it F3F-U8197-10-00. Looks like an insanely overpriced canbus controlled motor controller. Long story short is if you can switch the model number in connext and plug this into the canbus it will very likely work. Alternatively you could build your and program your own for about 100 bucks with the right know how and being able to read the propretary n2k data from a working 242x. So either very expensive or very difficult.

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah great find. Wow. Best price I found was 600 for the module. That could buy a very nice separate control display. Well dang that is slowly killing my idea now that Yamaha over prices there control modules and the fact that some people are having issues with them. It's looking like a stand alone system may be more robust and require less fighting if my connext took a crap for a different reason and I wanted warranty work done. Thank you all for the help I really appreciate it.

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just caus I have some attention.. From what I am reading it sounds like wake makers is the best company to call right? Has anyone dealt with any other companies that are better?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I do my system next year I am calling Wakemakers for all the plumbing, bags, and pumps. I will make my own rf controlled board and wiring harnesses though. That way I can have a tiny rf remote to control it all and signifcantly reduce the wiring runs and keep the helm clean

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, my dealership described the 'ballast control unit' as a mini computer to manage the integrated bags with the Connext.

I just had it replaced on Thursday, after months and months of Yamaha instructing my dealership to check connections. I suspect Yamaha either did not have them in stock and/or wanted to do anything possible to avoid the expense of replacement.

Spent the weekend on the boat in NY but believe it or not, was so jammed that I never got to test the ballast.

I hope to speak more authoritatively on their function and utility in the next few weeks-

Right now, based on what I know, I'd go with an independent ballast system on the 242LS-
(note that my experience has been less than awesome, so I may be tainted (at this point).
Wanting that to change...

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen sorry to hear about your issues. I hope it changes around and that boat shows it true potential. Still can't get over the how much I wanted the x model ha ha @Mainah what is it gonna cost me to borrow your plans? Anything that shortens my wire runs and keeps my dash clean sounds great to me. Maybe we can go in on a double buy and get a deal with wake makers... Maybe more people will jump in...

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Nauticajetter - I need to spec out the hardware for the controller and that won't be until next year. Once I do I am sure I will post something up about what I did.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have tried to flash the connext system before but do not know how to fully reset the system. To change the model numbers, there is a process of restarting the connect system but unplugging power to it or turning it off and on does not do the trick. If anyone can enlighten on how to do full reset, I might be able to play around with it more and report back.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@flo2020k - I belive if you set it to a different model without changing a bunch of wiring connections and flashing firmware to the ecu to recogize those connections the boat may be inoperative. Now if you could create custom firmware for both accounting for the stock wiring by changing the i/o parameters you may be on to something. Keep us updated.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Maina I hear you on that. It's been bugging the crap out of me. I almost one day pulled the whole dang thing apart to inspect it. I don't see much difference in terms of electrical wiring from the AR240 and the Limited S. Tower lights, rider profile and fresh water pump is all I can think of. I'm just not sure if the system would need be flashed to get the AR240 to have the Limited S profile. Surely the connext system can be reset without flashing the firmware. I wonder how long it could hold memory without being hooked up to a power source. To look deeper in this I really need a working Connext system I can pull out and maybe try to see if I could inspect and hook it up to my desktop.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have changed the profile code before but it keeps stating I need to reset the system? I am like ya Yamaha where is the dam instructions for resetting the system? Dealers know how to do it but they always give you the run around of how you can't or blah blah blah, because they don't people to know so many folks still have to pay for the non necessary higher option packages. Well guess have a nice project to get after this cold winter.