• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coolant in engine bay after winter

Glastronjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
So I opened the engine bay on my Glastron GTS 187 this spring and found coolant had been leaking out. It looked like a mix of coolant and water, as my tarp had likely leaked a little over the winter as well. My reservoir was full when I winterized it but is almost empty now. I followed the proper method for winterization. I spoke to a BRP dealer and the manager said the connector on the reservoir tank is notorious for expanding and contracting over the winter, causing leaking. I just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue. It gets super cold here over the winter, about -35 Celsius, so what he is saying is plausible.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My boat has seen 2 relatively mild Chicago winters. Have not experienced any leaking of the coolant.

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My scarab did that over the past winter. Replace the factory hose clamp with something better on the bottom of the coolant Reservoir. This is fairly common from my knowledge anyway.

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just opened up my 2014 Scarab215HO and noticed the same thing. The boat has 2 Rotax 4-Tech engines - the port side engine had a full reservoir when I had it winterized. When I removed the shrink wrap recently and opened the engine bay, I noticed the reservoir was empty and the bilge was full of antifreeze. Initially, it freaked me out - not knowing what had happened. I flushed the bilge to make sure it was empty and clean and refilled the reservoir. Inspecting the hoses, etc, I found no leaks. After running the engine at Idle for a couple minutes (cooling water running) while dry-docked - I found no leaks and the reservoir retained it's level. This is odd. So it's the hose clamps?

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You wont get it hot enough on a garden hose for pressure. Check all of your hose clamps especially the lowest one going into the thermostat holder (housing) on the back of your motor. They will rust and leak. Worse case scenario, the coolant is leaking out from the weap hole on right side lower. You will really have to look for that with a flash light. If it is leaking from that spot, the ceramic seal is bad. ****Also, don't ever run the motors for too long, unless you want to replace your carbon ring seal and support ring. It has to be cooled with water, otherwise you will pre-maturely wear it out.***Leaky, leaky, water time, if you do!