• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've always considered the users of this forum on a higher level intellectually and most generally very knowledgeable about most things. I've been watching this virus from the beginning as I'm sure most on here have as well. The headlines lately seem to have changed their tune. I know the media is in the business of shock and awe in order to hold our attention in order to sell us cars, drugs, insurance, etc. But, it just seems like it is a snowball that is about to get some serious mass to it.

What is everyone's thoughts on this virus?
Should we start prepping?
What will you do to prep if it comes to that?
Stock up on food? What kinds of food?

I'm no chicken little, and I don't think this is the end of the world by any stretch. Just curious of some of the other thoughts on the matter? I can say for certainty I will not be on a cruise ship anytime soon!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
CDC today started recommending that schools and employers start working on alternative strategies for allowing students and staff to work from home.

I’m just not sure about that, myself.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am very concerned as my oldest son (27) and his wife are going to Japan in April. I told him things will get much worse before they get better. I also iterated it's not just when you're there but also getting there and back. You'll come in contact with a lot of people from all over the world. In my mind, right now, you cannot be to safe.

I believe China is not forthcoming with real data as they're trying to "control the narrative". This thing is spreading everyday to different parts of the world. Do I sound paranoid? Maybe, but remaining real with my reality.

Heard today they're working on a vaccine that just began testing called COVID-19. We need to do our do diligence and be smart about this.

Nobody (T or Rush) should be down playing this. We should all be responsible and don't worry about the stock market. It'll bounce back!!!

Just my $.02

WiredKC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
COVID-19 is the medical term for the Corona Virus, not the vaccine. To date, there has not been a vaccine introduced to the public. Additionally, COVID-19 has reached Japan already to the point where news stations were reporting the possibility of cancelling or delaying the Olympic games in Tokyo.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always considered the users of this forum on a higher level intellectually and most generally very knowledgeable about most things. I've been watching this virus from the beginning as I'm sure most on here have as well. The headlines lately seem to have changed their tune. I know the media is in the business of shock and awe in order to hold our attention in order to sell us cars, drugs, insurance, etc. But, it just seems like it is a snowball that is about to get some serious mass to it.

What is everyone's thoughts on this virus?
Should we start prepping?
What will you do to prep if it comes to that?
Stock up on food? What kinds of food?

I'm no chicken little, and I don't think this is the end of the world by any stretch. Just curious of some of the other thoughts on the matter? I can say for certainty I will not be on a cruise ship anytime soon!
The concern is real, but it is not going to eradicate our civilization.
I'm not a virologist, but...
Flu kills more people, at least for now, and effective flu vaccine is further away (because of structural and mutational/immunogenic properties of the viral protein capsid make it more difficult to design a vaccine generating broadly-reactive antibodies).
There is no COVID vaccine only because of the logistics of its testing, production and distribution, actually making (designing) one is thought to be pretty strait forward, I believe, so it is mostly about money and logistics.

As far as cruise ships, I have always viewed them as human equivalent of enormous mouse cages, and norovirus was enough for me to stay away, lol.

EDIT: I'm not an expert (not a virologist), albeit I do have some formal immunogenetics training (like twenty some years of it, lol) so this is just my semi-educated opinion, its a dangerous disease as not everyone responds to the virus the same way - bats immune system does not "see" the virus at all! and they become a reservoir without reacting to it and/or getting sick, just like some asymptomatic people (who can harbor it and be in full viremia - lots of virus in their system) with no symptoms.

I'm not losing sleep over it, yet. Of course the worst case is the thing mutates and/or picks up some significantly more "virulent"/dangerous genetic material somewhere and then we could be in real trouble... But that is vanishingly unlikely, almost the same probability as of a completely new viral strain (something else, not coronavirus) popping out of the blue.
IMHO.

--

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
.....Nobody (T or Rush) should be down playing this. We should all be responsible and don't worry about the stock market. It'll bounce back!!!

Just my $.02
Definitely worry about the stock market. BUY when everyone is running and SELL when everyone is buying. Warren Buffett is no dummy and these are his words of wisdom! I follow them to the “T”, it works every time.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm flying to India on Monday....hoping this thing stays away from me!

Still WAY less cases than the flu, but its mortality rate is much higher 2.4% vs 0.01%. I'm not worried, but I'm keeping an eye on things!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s never too late to buy canned food and ammo...
Funny you should mention that, this is the second load in two days,
Walmart was running a clearance for $5 a box, these are mostly trap loads20200225_095157.jpg

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to turn this into a prepper thread... but 12ga would be my choice for stockpiling due to its versatility.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas geeze, the Wallyworlds around here have a two box limit. I feel so much safer because of it... :rolleyes: But that said, I like to keep away from crowds in general, so I'm not affected too much in that aspect. Canned/dry foods are very good to have, along with what the media likes to refer to as an "arsenal".

@AboveTheBest shotguns are very versatile, but I in general prefer a "pistol" AR. Compact, 30 freedom seed magazine, good for short and sorta long distance. I built one with a folding brace, and quick detach barrel, which fits snugly into a .50 cal ammo can (including magazine). Pros/cons to both, just my preference.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Like most on here, I’m not running for the hills.....yet. The mortality rate of this here in civilization seems low, but in reality who knows what it is there. I don’t trust much of anything coming out of Chinese media or govt (imagine that, a communist regime you can’t trust!), so I’m using a dose of healthy skepticism on this one. I’ll keep an eye on it closer than normal and an ear to the ground, there are good indicators to look for telling you when it’s time to get serious.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Scottintexas geeze, the Wallyworlds around here have a two box limit. I feel so much safer because of it... :rolleyes: But that said, I like to keep away from crowds in general, so I'm not affected too much in that aspect. Canned/dry foods are very good to have, along with what the media likes to refer to as an "arsenal".

@AboveTheBest shotguns are very versatile, but I in general prefer a "pistol" AR. Compact, 30 freedom seed magazine, good for short and sorta long distance. I built one with a folding brace, and quick detach barrel, which fits snugly into a .50 cal ammo can (including magazine). Pros/cons to both, just my preference.
It’s a tool, you pick the right tool for the job. I always have a rifle, pistol, and a 12 gauge nearby....

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Up until yesterday we were feeling far removed from this virus. We were on the way to visit the Beneteau and stopped at an intersection at a West Marine we were going to, and then a car entered from the right, in front of us and both people in the car were wearing masks. Out of state car, but it got my attention. Sugaring now, I will just be working in my woods until June or when boating season calls, which ever comes first. One snowshoe in front of the other.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Up until yesterday we were feeling far removed from this virus. We were on the way to visit the Beneteau and stopped at an intersection at a West Marine we were going to, and then a car entered from the right, in front of us and both people in the car were wearing masks. Out of state car, but it got my attention. Sugaring now, I will just be working in my woods until June or when boating season calls, which ever comes first. One snowshoe in front of the other.
@zipper; you’re safer than most. If it gets bad, just take a trip to The NE Kingdom.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s a tool, you pick the right tool for the job. I always have a rifle, pistol, and a 12 gauge nearby....
I like versatile tools, kind of like our Yamaha boats!

For example, take this squirrel gun - pictured below - I’m told is good for things as small as a COVID particle or as big as a bear, from 0 to 100 yards, lol!
But, I wouldn’t really know, lol.
1582688380702.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lived there for close to 6-years. Those folks can survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.