• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Covered Slip / Bimini Removal

tobyfrommo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My wife and I just purchase our first Yamaha...a 2020 242 Limited SE.

The boat has the hard top/ratcheting style bimini. The boat will sit in a covered slip and will get used just about every weekend during the late spring/summer/early fall.

My question is do I leave the bimini on from week to week or remove...maybe remove it every 2-3 weeks for cleaning? I'm not sure what to do here. My concern is the collecting of dust/dirt & spider/bird poop eventually ruining the top. The bimini on my former boat folded and had a cover...it still looked new, however, the boat cover showed it's age as it has some staining that was no longer removeable due to sitting out in the conditions.

I realize I'll have to make my own decision based on my conditions but I was wondering what methods others may be using.

Thanks for any & all help!

First, congratulations on the purchase! Fun times ahead.

I think this is another situation where it would be helpful to know at least approximately where you are. Generally in a covered slip I would say leave it on for the season. But, if you are coastal or in high wind area or ... something else I haven't thought of yet, maybe a different recommendation.

We are in the midwest. No high winds except for midwest thunder storms. Lots of pollen in the spring/early summer. The pollen will turn the black cover and/or bimini completely yellow. We fight bird/spider poop all summer. With our previous boat I'd spread the cover out over the ground and give the cover a good scrub each spring and maybe 1-2 lighter scrubs during boating season, while the cover was on the boat, in the slip.

I realize the bimini is not much different...but is slightly harder to see/reach when still on the boat.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess in that situation I would probably leave it on. It is a matter of how much time you want to spend taking it up and putting it down versus cleaning it, in the end. I am not an extreme neat freak on my boat (a little dirt is ok... a lot must be cleaned), so that is probably the reason for my answer.

Back