• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully this pandemic will end soon but in the meantime we are fortunate to have members actively treating CoVID patients, a respected immunologist and even a career FDA staffer among our members.

This thread is a place for civil discussion of the treatments for and knowledge of the virus. Like the rest of the forum it is not a place for discussion of politics or trolling.

Thank you to all the medical workers who have given so much to help so many of us.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those curious about their COVID immunity, this is still probably the best test available (see the link and text below) with significant predictive value: the "T-Detect COVID" developed by Adaptive Biotechnologies. Positive results imply the presence of (lasting) COVID immunity. Of course, as far as newer, mutated strains - who knows.

Using their incredibly smart algorithms developed over the last few years, the Adaptive test adjudicates the presence of COVID specific "memory" T cells, the cellular elements responsible for directing "recall" immune responses.

EDIT: I'll post the text below as the access requires login (full credits, copyrights, in the link above)

Adaptive Biotechnologies' T-Cell Assay Plans Boosted by Medicare Nod for COVID Test
Nov 05, 2021 | Molika Ashford
Premium

NEW YORK – Having secured a Medicare coverage recommendation from the MolDx program for its first T-cell-based diagnostic, T-Detect COVID, Adaptive Biotech is now building evidence for the assay's unique utility and hoping that its clinical establishment will accelerate validation and adoption of the same technology in other diagnostic tests.
The company's near-term plans include launching its second test of this kind, T-Detect Lyme, before the start of the Lyme disease season next year. Adaptive is also developing similar tests for Crohn's disease and multiple sclerosis, and is working to establish its technology in vaccine development efforts for COVID-19 and potentially other infectious diseases.
During a call discussing the company's third quarter financial results this week, CEO Chad Robins said that he views the reimbursement nod for T-Detect COVID as a milestone not just for the COVID test, but for the firm's larger franchise. That said, the positive assessment is only a first step forward.
Adaptive's immediate focus is now on capturing the market potential conferred by the MolDx determination, which it said outlines payment for the assay at $770 per test for a specific population: immunocompromised patients.
According to Nitin Sood, Adaptive's chief commercial officer, this designation reflects the potential of its test to help physicians make decisions about patient treatment, including how and when to vaccinate and, potentially, how and when to use preemptive or prophylactic treatments.
"Physicians can use this to help them manage care, particularly for immunocompromised patients, helping [them] make decisions related to vaccines or vaccine boosters in patients who are on immune suppressing medications, including deferring or postponing such medications or even providing preventative monoclonal antibody treatment," said Sood.
"We have said from the beginning that unfortunately this [virus] is going to be endemic in our population and this subset of patients, they're always going to be at risk even as the virus moves from the pandemic state to an endemic state," Robins added.
While estimates vary, Robins said that there are around 7 million immunocompromised individuals in the US, about a million of which are the hematologic cancer patients that the company already serves with its ClonoSeq assay, so that will be the company's first commercial target.
According to Sood, the plan is to use the ClonoSeq sales team to approach those physicians, which include hematologists and oncologists. After that, Adaptive would work on targeted promotion in transplant centers, HIV treatment centers, and among autoimmune disease physicians.
"This is not only a new product launch, but it's a new product category, so in terms of how quickly we can [gain adoption], the good news is that the world has been talking about the adaptive immune response to the virus ... so some of that marketing effort is done. But in terms of the specific use case — how and when you use it, what therapeutic regimens or lifestyle choices will a doctor provide you to assist in the management of patients — this all has to be worked into the current paradigm of care," Robins said.
Sood added that, long term, Adaptive is also generating additional evidence to make the test semi-quantitative so that it can generate a readout of the level of disease protection. "We think this is going to be not only beneficial to physicians … but also really strengthen our value proposition to vaccine developers," he said.
Given the success of mRNA vaccines in the COVID-19 pandemic response, Sood said that it makes sense to expect a lot of activity in vaccine development going forward, even beyond COVID. "I think having a test that measures the T-cell response quantitatively and produces evidence around protection will open up a whole bunch of doors," he said.
Harlan Robins, Adaptive's chief scientific officer, added that technologies like Adaptive's are relative youngsters compared to other ways of assessing immune response.
"I don't think everybody really appreciated the role that the cellular immune system is playing in protection," he said. "In part, this is probably just historical that we've had the ability to measure an antibody response and even a neutralizing antibody response for 50 years. And we didn't really have a way of measuring the T-cell response at scale."
"Now that we do and also now that we're in this situation where we're seeing these new variants that are really avoiding the neutralizing antibody response from the vaccines … we're seeing the importance of the T-cell response to really give us the protection that we need to prevent severe disease," he added.
"The T-cell revolution is coming," but it will be up to Adaptive, Robins said, to further prove that T-cell response truly correlates with disease protection. "If we can show that directly, then we really have the tool that people can use going forward in a whole variety of … diseases to help them develop the right vaccine, but also prove that their vaccine is working."
Turning to Lyme disease and other applications, Robins highlighted Adaptive's completion of a study, presented last month at the IDWeek 2021 meeting, showing its T-cell based diagnostic was nearly two times more sensitive than standard testing in identifying individuals with early disease.
"This is the second technical proof of concept that our T-cell testing has advantages over serology in the diagnosis of infectious diseases," he said.
Sood added that the company is engaging with payors with the anticipation of launching the test in time for the emergence of another Lyme disease season next year.
In inflammatory bowel disease, Robins said Adaptive had analyzed about 80 percent of a set of 5,000 samples as part of its validation of a detection assay for ileal Crohn's disease. "We expect to have the totality of the data completed by year-end, and we'll share next steps for development at that time," he said.
Finally, having identified another T cell-based signal in multiple sclerosis, the company now also has its first samples in house for that application, which are currently under analysis.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Early data shows a 25 to 41 fold reduction in vaccine benefit against Omicron. Omicron is not yet known to cause severe illness. Hopefully it does not. Regardless boosters are beneficial against Delta which is making a winter comeback.

“Pfizer and its partner BioNTech said that while two doses may not be protective enough to prevent infection, lab tests showed a booster increased by 25-fold people’s levels of virus-fighting antibodies against the omicron variant.

Blood samples taken a month after a booster showed people harbored levels of omicron-neutralizing antibodies that were similar to amounts proven protective against earlier variants after two doses.

Scientists don’t yet know how big a threat the omicron variant really is. Currently the extra-contagious delta variant is responsible for most of the COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and other countries.”

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Asking those in the medical professions, since I was told this other day.... Is there any indication that certain types of blood are more resistant to the Virus? I was told, by a staff member, that his physician indicated they are not seeing many people whom have Blood Type "O" getting sick from the Virus whether Vaccinated or Not. Are you seeing this at all? I have since read some web articles that suggest that People with Type O and Rh-negative have significantly lower infections rates or is that incorrect information?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Asking those in the medical professions, since I was told this other day.... Is there any indication that certain types of blood are more resistant to the Virus? I was told, by a staff member, that his physician indicated they are not seeing many people whom have Blood Type "O" getting sick from the Virus whether Vaccinated or Not. Are you seeing this at all? I have since read some web articles that suggest that People with Type O and Rh-negative have significantly lower infections rates or is that incorrect information?
I keep hearing this and have yet to find compelling literature about it, or even see it in my day to day. Not to say it is not true.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Starting to get anecdotal info that Omicron is less dangerous.....but unfortunately at the same time the covid deaths from Delta doubled in the last week.

@tabbibus are you seeing an increase of Covid patients at your hospital? (So great to be able to verify what the news is reporting with what is actually going on in an ICU!)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Starting to get anecdotal info that Omicron is less dangerous.....but unfortunately at the same time the covid deaths from Delta doubled in the last week.

@tabbibus are you seeing an increase of Covid patients at your hospital? (So great to be able to verify what the news is reporting with what is actually going on in an ICU!)
Not yet. But numbers in other parts of GA have started the expected post Thanksgiving uptick. We'll see

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know what is going on here in MIchigan

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know what is going on here in MIchigan
Perhaps cold weather and dense city populations combined with relatively low rates of previous infection (15.5%) and vaccination (55.4%).

Is mask wearing common?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well depends what city or suburb you are in. I would say on average half of the people or so wear masks out in the suburbs.

In the City 10% or so

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All northern states...guess those predictions of increases in transmission as it gets colder were right. When you look at the top of the list, only AZ stands out...wonder if they have too many snowbirds infecting them?Screenshot_20211208-223143_Chrome.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All northern states...guess those predictions of increases in transmission as it gets colder were right. When you look at the top of the list, only AZ stands out...wonder if they have too many snowbirds infecting them?View attachment 168099
Correct

They are also infecting our freeways (why do you old people need to be on the freeway at 7am you’re RETIRED), restaurants, shopping centers, everything.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Many of my friends have come down with colds and even the flu over the past couple weeks. I believe when the heat is cranked up in buildings, relative humidity is almost non existent and by drying out their upper respiratory tracts it puts people way more at risk for respiratory virus. I just kicked a bout of rhino virus and needed to put a humidifier in my room to help. I will keep one running overnight from now on while Im up north. Also have the HVAC guy coming to my offices to add a humidifier to the system. Will this hope lower the potential of contracting Covid?? I would think any way to strengthen your respiratory system is a good move. Surely not saying this is an option over proven methods but at this point I say control all the things you can.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Evil Sports, many newer thermostats will display humidity. Below 30% is questionable below 25% causes my family to be congested without any illness.

My home was built to be highly energy efficient and has little air exchange with the outdoors. Our first winter in the house humidity fell below 25% and my young kids had several visits to the doctor. Once I realized how low the humidity was I had a whole home humidifier installed.

As for SARS-CoV-2 studies show it spreads more efficiently through dryer air.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Evil Sports, many newer thermostats will display humidity. Below 30% is questionable below 25% causes my family to be congested without any illness.

My home was built to be highly energy efficient and has little air exchange with the outdoors. Our first winter in the house humidity fell below 25% and my young kids had several visits to the doctor. Once I realized how low the humidity was I had a whole home humidifier installed.

As for SARS-CoV-2 studies show it spreads more efficiently through dryer air.
Bruce make sure the humidifier system is cleaned regularly. I've diagnosed many patients with hypersensitivity pneumonitis (a type of inflammation in the lungs) due to mold in the humidifiers.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a good read on scientific failures during this pandemic.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Bruce make sure the humidifier system is cleaned regularly. I've diagnosed many patients with hypersensitivity pneumonitis (a type of inflammation in the lungs) due to mold in the humidifiers.
This is a great point! We have had humidifiers on the HVAC systems of our last two homes and we typically only use the humidifiers in the fall/winter months. This means it isn't used for about six months, and I would be surprised if few people actually clean them. Probably more common for folks to clean portable humidifier.

Want to also add that most HVAC units will have a pad that should be replaced at the suggested intervals, as well.

Jim

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

ICU Day 1 today. ICU covid cases up to 5 in the ICU after none a few weeks ago. Span the age spectrum. Youngest 35

Status
Not open for further replies.