• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crab Island Destin Fl

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are freshwater boaters only and plan on bringing the boat to Destin the summer of 2020. We will be staying at Sandpiper Cove which appears to be about 2.5 miles from Crab Island via the harbor. Is a 2017 AR195 enough boat to be out in all this? We have no experience in salt water and I am just making sure I'm not setting myself up for disaster.

orexismd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should be fine as long as the wind doesn't get too bad. It is on the harbor side and relatively protected. However I did rent a pontoon boat there once and it got pretty rough on a very windy day out in the bay. Water was coming over the bow, across the floor and draining out the back. It was FUN!! 195's have made the trek to Bimini. You just have to have the right conditions and know your capabilities/comfort zone. Iv'e only boated there 3 times, each renting pontoons but see plenty of comparable boats at crab island. someone who frequents there more often may want to chime in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It'll do fine so long as the winds aren't blowing hard. Enjoy your trip. I always had a blast taking my AR192 to Panama City Beach just down from Destin. :winkingthumbsup"

BrettMac

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Local of the area. You will be fine. I’m out there almost every weekend on a 2016 SX 192. My trip takes me across the bay to Crab Island and back in the weekend. As mention above the winds can pick up in the afternoons and the bay will get 3-4 feet on its worst days. From the harbor to Crab Island and back is all a no wake zone. Smooth days (early morning) you can easily get out of the east pass and into the gulf for some dolphin sightseeing. I would recommend a 2nd anchor if you don’t carry one on board. And other questions reach out to me, there are some neat places to travel by boat for food and entertainment.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm subscribing for more info as it comes in. Wife and I have the same thought for the summer of 2020. Doing summer of 2019 in the mountains of TN to "test the waters" of travelling with the boat. If it goes well then we'll commit to a longer drive with the boat for some clear water and new locations.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm heading to Destin week after next. Plan on renting a pontoon for the day.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Gonna follow along as well. Headed to Destin in July with the boat and looking for as much info as possible!

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I'm local to Destin and the current there can be rough. A second anchor is almost mandatory. Rental pontoons be sure to check the anchor most rentals don't give enough line or big enough anchor to sit among the boats at crab island when the tide is moving. Had several close calls with rental boaters out there.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The no wake zones out there are not a joke. The Coast Guard station is right there, and the Sherriff patrols. they will site you. so have your safety gear...

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The no wake zones out there are not a joke. The Coast Guard station is right there, and the Sherriff patrols. they will site you. so have your safety gear...
And I assume the no wake zones are just like in the lakes here in KY where that means idle speed only with no ripples left behind? If thats the case it sure will take me awhile to get from the far east end of the harbor to crab island.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm subscribing for more info as it comes in. Wife and I have the same thought for the summer of 2020. Doing summer of 2019 in the mountains of TN to "test the waters" of travelling with the boat. If it goes well then we'll commit to a longer drive with the boat for some clear water and new locations.
Thats funny, we do the mountains and boat every other summer. We went to Douglas last year with the boat and camper, liked it so much we are going back this summer, and will be at the beach next summer with it

Stonerok

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i would say the authorities at Crab Island are not that bad. They spend the day chasing down rental skis and pontoon boats that are oblivious to the no wake zone meaning. If your not acting like a fool they probably won't even look twice at you. I have been traversing the area for 15 years and never been stopped.

I was out there after 8am this morning with my dog and used a 3 pound cooper anchor tied to the stern of the 190 FSH and had no issues on the incoming tide. But I had no plans on straying far from the boat. Mostly had to retrieve my dogs toys he would drop over the side while he watched anxiously from the boat.

I had 45 minutes of no one within 200 feet of me then the pontoon boats appearantly decided I was in a prime location.

Last time I was in the harbor portions are marked as minimum wake as opposed to no wake. Not sure if that's changed.

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm a freshwater boater as well from KY. I took my boat to Perdido Bay a few years ago and had a blast. I relied on this forum on how to prepare my boat and trailer for the salt water. I would recommend searching regarding how to use Salt Away on your boat and engines and the applicator to prevent internal and external damage. It's pricey but necessary. Search how to spray your trailer to prevent rusting both inside and outside the railings. Make plans to locate a fresh water lake to wash off your trailer or scout out a place where you can wash it down with a water hose after launching your boat. There's a lot of stuff on youtube as well. Also, be sure to have a place lined up to park your trailer during your stay. You usually can't park them at condo parking lots.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Visited Crab Island today via rental pontoon. It was great. Had no problem anchoring the pontoon and hanging out for a few hours. The water was calm, clear, and emerald green. We anchored in front of music that sounded great, and beside the big jumpy inflatables where my son played for a couple hours. Had a steak kabob at the Gypsea Sol food boat and it was awesome. I highly recommend visiting if have the chance. We paid $275 for a 4 hour rental of a pontoon. Would be awesome to have your own boat here but if staying 7 days there may be a lot of non boating time you have to worry about your boat. Also, if freshwater boater only you will be subjecting your boat to salt water.

BCC5494D-EAD1-4293-8D81-592D1DEC8EF0.jpeg83B52BF5-AECD-4645-983B-198C92F76712.jpeg0F91488E-064A-4B5D-A5E9-465CC94BAE6E.jpegFBDE8205-271C-472E-A45F-C5576B3B3E1C.jpeg

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks awesome! We have only been on spring break and the inflatables aren’t up yet.

NSAviator

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I live in Destin and I’m out at Crab Island almost every Sat/Sun. So far no real issues with the current, I just have one anchor and bury it in the sand. Problem with 2 anchors is if you’re not careful, the currents will shift, and everyone with one anchor, their boat swings with it. But the people who anchored front and back stays put, often risking being hit if they’re next to single anchor boats that are parked close.
Joes Bayou is an easy place to put the Boat in the water, but if you dont live in Destin its $20 every day you use it. There is parking right there tho only for vehicles with trailers. For a solid bottle of Bourbon I’m willing to let people park their boats in my driveway and use my hose to clean off boat/trailer haha. I’m pretty central in Destin, right next to the Air Port and approx 4 min from Joes Bayou boat launch.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I live in Destin and I’m out at Crab Island almost every Sat/Sun. So far no real issues with the current, I just have one anchor and bury it in the sand. Problem with 2 anchors is if you’re not careful, the currents will shift, and everyone with one anchor, their boat swings with it. But the people who anchored front and back stays put, often risking being hit if they’re next to single anchor boats that are parked close.
Joes Bayou is an easy place to put the Boat in the water, but if you dont live in Destin its $20 every day you use it. There is parking right there tho only for vehicles with trailers. For a solid bottle of Bourbon I’m willing to let people park their boats in my driveway and use my hose to clean off boat/trailer haha. I’m pretty central in Destin, right next to the Air Port and approx 4 min from Joes Bayou boat launch.
Must be so nice living In paradise.

NSAviator

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Haha Hey man I’m military. I actually went to high school and college around where it looks like you’re from (Marietta/Kennesaw area) followed up by 2 years stationed in Mississippi and 5.5 years stationed in middle of no where New Mexico...which is awful. Ive seen more than my share of bad assignments lol...and that’s not including the 7 deployments :)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Haha Hey man I’m military. I actually went to high school and college around where it looks like you’re from (Marietta/Kennesaw area) followed up by 2 years stationed in Mississippi and 5.5 years stationed in middle of no where New Mexico...which is awful. Ive seen more than my share of bad assignments lol...and that’s not including the 7 deployments :)
Thank you for your service. You deserve to live in Paradise. :winkingthumbsup"[flag]