• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crab island, Memorial Day weekend?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I miss that place!! We went there 2 years ago (we're from Minnesota) and I rented a pontoon boat. Now we just bought a AR210, and I would love to bring it down to Destin and Crab Island...

What's the best time of year for visiting Destin / Crab Island? Last time we went there were hundreds of jelly fish, which took the fun out of walking around in the water.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Crab Island will be incredibly packed on Memorial Weekend and it will be Amateur hour. We will be on the boat at some point, but I will steer away from Crab Island more than likely. Don't want my new boat getting dinged up.

@Daren and Heather the best time of year to visit Crab Island is in the Fall after Labor Day. Water is still great, but the crowds have subsided. The jellyfish migrate through here every year. I believe in July.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I miss that place!! We went there 2 years ago (we're from Minnesota) and I rented a pontoon boat. Now we just bought a AR210, and I would love to bring it down to Destin and Crab Island...

What's the best time of year for visiting Destin / Crab Island? Last time we went there were hundreds of jelly fish, which took the fun out of walking around in the water.
depends what you’re looking for...packed party? 4th of July! Crowds are gone? September.

jellyfish were bad last year for a month or so. Otherwise, I rarely notice them.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I absolutely love that place. My brother lives down there, guarantee he’ll be there. @ToddW850 is absolutely right though...it will be jam packed and a lot of out of towners renting boats.

We went during 4th of July last year and there were a lot of jellyfish the first day we went, not the second. I plan on moving there in a couple years when I retire from the Air Force.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I absolutely love that place. My brother lives down there, guarantee he’ll be there. @ToddW850 is absolutely right though...it will be jam packed and a lot of out of towners renting boats.

We went during 4th of July last year and there were a lot of jellyfish the first day we went, not the second. I plan on moving there in a couple years when I retire from the Air Force.
Congratulations! I retire in less than a month and I’m not going anywhere!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was just down this past week, and for some reason it was packed with rentals. Not July 4th packed, but busier than a lot of early May weekends. I get the feeling it will be changing there in the next year or two, they are changing the rules, no more floating bars, etc. Water was a bit cold for my taste, 71 ish. Someone did catch a video of 5 good sized hammerhead sharks this past week too, pretty cool. We’ll be down again first week of August.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Everyone had been cooped up. Crab island is the perfect local get away right now.

roo cold for me too. If it’s not 80+, I’m not interested.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was thinking lots of folks got stimulus $$$ too lol.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Dixie Highway if you were here during the wweekend, I know what you are talking about. A large group from Tallahassee came down and rented a bunch of pontoons and wave runners. They did a bunch of damage and sank one of the wave runners. The rental companies have posted, complaining about it.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are planing on it! Just bought a AR240, brought it home yesterday, spent today on the sound breaking it in. Planning on heading to Crab Island tomorrow if the weather holds.
Congrats o the boat! What time are you heading out there? I might go tool around the bay tomorrow.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats o the boat! What time are you heading out there? I might go tool around the bay tomorrow.
Hoping to be out there from 1030 ish to 3, maybe 4. Might go into some of the water ways in the harbor and check out the houses, my only Crab Island adventures previously have been on rentals, so all we really did is park the rental and enjoy some beers.