• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cruiser 258 Bowrider

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking a few years down the road. Has anyone rode on one or looked around in person. I watched the BoatTest videos and they seem pretty nice and along the price line not to bad, I'm sure you can negotiate price some. They have a pretty steep deadrise 21-22 degrees and some weight around 6000. I believe same out drive as @Andy S on his R5. Just looking for some insight and opinions. I haven't decided if I will stay jet drive so I can get more use with Ocean and ICW down here. May try to go a boat show and look around. They have a 238 but I would be more into the 258.

http://www.boattest.com/review/cruisers-sport-series/3205_258-bow-rider

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From the engine options it does offer the same engine I have, I'm assuming it is mated to the same duoprop outdrive.

A few things I don't like about the boat:
Swim deck - too small, too high off the water and I personally hate the look of a bolt-on swim deck.
Engine compartment seems a little cramped.
Igloo Cooler under rear port seat, seems kind of cheesy to me. Also the seat doesn't hinge very high making getting items out the cooler tricky.
Why 3 coolers, igloo, seat behind driver, and in the aft walk-way floor?
Ski locker is wide but very shallow and not very long.
If I understood correctly, this is the first year for the sport class of boats by Cruiser Yachts. I personally wouldn't buy a first year production boat, let them get a few years of production to fix all the bugs and design flaws.
Price - based on the website build a boat, the price is not far off of a Chaparral or a Cobalt.

Thing I liked
Gas tank - 68 gallons

Just my 2 cents from looking at their website. I would like to see one in person to be able to compare to the Cobalt's and Chaparral's.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think they have been making them from at least 2013 I have watched some boat test videos. I would also like to see in person and compare them to the the same MFG. I was confused on the seat hinging, the dual ski locker seems okay since the run a deeper 48" fwd of the main deck. I'm a few years out but thought they look pretty nice. The fuel tank is a nice upgrade agreed. Thanks for some feed back, as I am still warming up to the bolt on swim deck but it does hide the prop more from swimming/boarding area.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cruisers make a very nice boat. My buddy that we dock our Sea Ray next to has a Cruisers yacht that is a very nice looking aft cabin cruiser. I see many Cruiser brand boats on a weekly basis, even runabouts, just not many. I think they are on par with the quality of Cobalt and Chaparral. You can't go wrong with any of them. If I were you I'd get the powertrain that's best suited to handle the saltwater environment. Good luck with your search and decision.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would the Chap model be like a 257ssx and then the Cobalt R5? The A25 is nice as well.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too have been looking at this style of boat. Problem with most of them is they really do not do well knocking spray down off shore but is live able the extra weight and sharp entry at the front help slice through waves though. The one item I didn't like about the cruiser for offshore use is that the engine compartment hatch opens off the floor which means you are likely going to get water in the engine compartment if you happen to take a wave over the bow. If you are looking for something like this I would strongly consider the chaparral sun coast models or the sea ray 270sd ob both of these boats are outboard powered and drain overboard which both are better for salt water. I'm in love with the sea ray 270sd ob and the 290 sd ob

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven't even considered SeaRay that boat is very nice and since I'll be towing and storing on trailer I don't want to go over probably 27'. I think the Outboard may be nice as well. I haven't really considered Saltwater use with an I/O. Not sure how it holds up when stored on a trailer. I know I would not want to wet slip. Thanks for the insight to the over the bow waves and the SunCoast and SunDeck boats @robert843 I just see me wanting more use with less abuse without going to a full CC boat as we use more for cruising and sandbar with the occasional offshore travels for spearing and hopefully more frequent Bahamas trips in our future.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 beat me to it, Sea Rays are pretty amazing. They had a sterndrive version of 240 at the boat show here, it was just crazy nice and well designed. Had to pull my wife away from it (we boat primarily in a small river, so Yamaha JB is the best option by far).
I would go with an o/b, but that's just me.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The closest boat I have found to a true compromise to a CC is Sea Fox has a boat called the 249 Avenger is is made on their 24 ft offshore hull but still has a cool wrap around seating set up in the front. Sea Hunt also makes the same thing the call it the Edge. The Sea Hunt model has a side side dive door which is really nice.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think I would rather do the chap or SeaRay outboard option before those. But they are not a bad looking boat either.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree as well for 95% of what I do they are a much better fit. The only thing that sways me at all to the Sea Fox or Sea Hunt is the much higher free board at the front and the 100 gallon fuel capacity is really enticing for me.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is enticing I would hate to fill it up and I would only use non Ethanol due to how long it would take for a tank of fuel to go through. Other than that I mainly relax and sandbar and do coastal stuff. Rarely would I would be 15+miles off shore unless it is a Bahamas trip since we are close to West End.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The JB is great but we get a little beat up at the inlets and intercostal during winter time here that is my only real concern to upgrade a little bigger and heavier also. We can boat year round but it gets choppy down here from Oct/Nov till about April and my wife deals with it but mentions it lol.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My power plant of choice would be an outboard by far. They do make I\O power plants that are designed for saltwater use, but I still think an outboard would be a better choice. If we lived on the coast I would probably have a CC\cruiser type boat in the 30' range with twin or maybe triple outboards. That Sea Ray sundeck with the outboard looks like a great choice for your needs\wants.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am researching a lot and think that the if/when I switch the outboard would be the best choice as well. My wife really likes the SeaRay @robert843 mentioned. It is between that and the SunCoast as she said a CC is out of the picture right now. I like the Chap with the extended V going around the outboard on the back. Thanks for all the info and discussion points that have been brought up so far, plus who doesn't love look at boats right?!?!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in love with the Sea Ray as well but its a little pricey for me new I may have to see if I can find a used one in my budget in 5 years or so. The 25 ft Sun Coast I have seen new in my price range at the boat show last year but that Sea Ray is a beast if you go see one live they are massive!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the price point of the Chap, and Chaps are built great the fuel tank size is still great, and it looks great with the integrated GPS! Price point isn't to bad, and I'd want the 300 Yamaha. The Sea Ray is a big boat, an extra 2 foot is huge!