• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cruises/Vacation ideas

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Never did one, kinda still don't feel the need - but the wife does. Someone school me on the ins and outs of snagging one on the cheap? Just looking for a 3/4 day or so thing, off the east coast (Charleston would be best), but I'm looking for something before it warms up, preferably going somewhere warm. Thinking long weekend in Feb/March. Any tips/tricks/advice/websites would be appreciated!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never did one, kinda still don't feel the need - but the wife does. Someone school me on the ins and outs of snagging one on the cheap? Just looking for a 3/4 day or so thing, off the east coast (Charleston would be best), but I'm looking for something before it warms up, preferably going somewhere warm. Thinking long weekend in Feb/March. Any tips/tricks/advice/websites would be appreciated!
The ones out of Charleston are pretty cheap just grab one off of priceline or something they are all running specials right now for the holiday. Cruising is a hit or miss thing some people love them and others hate them. I unfortunately fall in the later category I would much rather spend a week in one spot and not be on the cruises schedule. They are very inexpensive ways to get to the islands though. You should be able to pick up a cruise out of Charleston for 3 nights that includes all food and lodging for probably less then the cost of your flight to Bimini last year.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
like said above. You can see a lot of different places in a short time. They are pretty cheap as long as you stay away from the bar. We use them to find places that we would like to go back too by a plane and stay for awhile.

The food is pretty good and the shows are not to bad. We don't gamble so I am not sure but I have been told to do it the first night for better odds.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We may do one, but it will most likely be an Alaskan cruise to see the sites and travel. This is a few years away as trying to get that much time off is tough. Interested to see what you end up with.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have done a few. Would recommend finding a cheap flight to FLL or MIA and originating your tour from the warmer southern climes. The issue with a SC departure is you are generally in cooler climes for a day or more outbound and the same time consumed on your return. By getting to FL you can get to the eastern or western Caribbean and be in the sun for most of your cruise. I live in the mid-Atlantic and "getting south" is generally how I've done my cruises.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear Costa Concordia has some good deals.

--

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did a Norwegian cruise to the Western Caribbean. Great cruise line, laid back freestyle cruising. It's just the way to do it.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To go along with @llmmct, if you cruise out of Charleston and it is cold then you won't be able to enjoy the topside activities, could or could not be an issue for you. Also, for me a cruise is just a method to get to a destination, I'm not necessarily on the cruise to just experience the boat's activities, so the least amount of time in transit the better. I want to experience the port-of-call, I can experience the boat's activities at night.

My view might be slightly tainted since I have only be on 2 commercial cruises and the biggest reason is that I did 7 cruises courtesy of the US Navy onboard the USS Lewis & Clark SSBN 644 (ballistic missile submarine).

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with the love to cruise crowd. Been on 5 total and loved them all! I actually like being at sea the best. If it were me I'd find a package deal that includes the flight and all transfers to and from the airport and ship terminal out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. A 3-4 day cruise will go very quick! You will probably only go to one port which will probably be Cozumel. To make it worth your time and effort I'd do a minimum 5 day and preferably a 7 day. You'd get to truly relax and see three ports at the minimum. We've cruised with Carnival and Celebrity. The later is 5 star and super nice. The former is more focused on families and fun. They're all fun don't get me wrong, you'll enjoy yourself no matter who you cruise with. My $0.2!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Check out http://vacationstogo.com/ They have some really good deals and some even better last-minute deals. We've been on 3 or 4 cruises and have discovered that we like Norwegian the best. Have been on Carnival (too many kids/teens) and Royal Caribbean as well.

I agree with going down to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to catch one. We did a 3-night cruise out of Miami (left Friday afternoon, got back Monday morning) to Coco Cay and Nassau. That would be a great opportunity for you to just check it out and see cruising life is all about. One thing we discovered, though...it's cheap to get on the boat, but expensive to get off the boat at the end of the cruise. If you're a drinker, use caution at the bars. The Norwegian Sky has an open bar (I'm sure "some restrictions apply" however). Eat the food that is provided on the boat and stay away from the restaurants that you have to pay additional. Take advantage of the evening meal at the main restaurant and be there on time for your meal. It's nice to be able to dress up a bit and make the wife feel good for a few evenings.

The food and entertainment is quite good and there's plenty to see and do on the boat. No passport is required on most voyages.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I will never go on Carnival again and that has nothing to do with their mishaps. Royal Caribbean is pretty nice with an outside balcony room. I was not a fan of Cozumel as a port of call.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something that really has not been mention is that most of the Charleston ports of call suck! Freeport and Nassau are their typical stops and really are not that nice. So I do kind of agree with the Florida Idea as if I was to do one again I want to go to places like St Thomas and St Martin and more exotic locales. More Caribbean stops instead of the major Bahamas stops. Don't get me wrong I love the Bahamas just not really those places. I would rather spend a day ashore in Chub Cay then Freeport lol and there is nothing in Chub Cay.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To go along with @llmmct, if you cruise out of Charleston and it is cold then you won't be able to enjoy the topside activities, could or could not be an issue for you. Also, for me a cruise is just a method to get to a destination, I'm not necessarily on the cruise to just experience the boat's activities, so the least amount of time in transit the better. I want to experience the port-of-call, I can experience the boat's activities at night.

My view might be slightly tainted since I have only be on 2 commercial cruises and the biggest reason is that I did 7 cruises courtesy of the US Navy onboard the USS Lewis & Clark SSBN 644 (ballistic missile submarine).
Amen brother! My wife nags at me every now and then to do one and I have no desire. I've seen enough sea water for my life time, don't care to see any more. I've told her if she and our daughters want to go on one I will gladly buy them the tickets and they can have a blast without me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Port of Cozumel is an absolute dump. You'll need to book something inland or transportation to a resort to make it worth while. Nothing but pushy pedlers and overpriced crap along the Main Street.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ideally, my ultimate goal here is to take a long weekend and get her another stamp in her passport as a Christmas present. Gotta be a quickie trip kinda deal, as we are already trying to squeeze too many vacations and a possible relocation in next year. A cruise is looking less and less like an option as it looks like I'm almost better off just flying to Cancun or similar.

Given that tidbit of info - wwyd? Probably do a Friday/Saturday through Tuesday kinda deal. Prefer all inclusive I think. Like to stay under $1500 including flight from Charlotte or Raleigh (not counting extraneous expenses once there). Looking around February timeframe. Obviously a cruise isn't off the table, but I don't see many that meet my criteria during that timeframe - and those closest to meeting are Cozumel which seems to be a bad idea.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mute when you there last? We were there last year and it had changed a lot from the time before. Not saying that it did not still have bad areas but that it was starting to look like all of the rest of the cruise ports.

Our first time to Freeport and Naussa there were a lot of hand made items for sale. Last year the items were made in China copies and every store had the same stuff. Most of the stuff still had made in China tags. The open air market was full of crap. Time in port is also getting shorter each time we go.

In the short of it,they are still a pretty cheap get away and when I don't pay a lot I don't expect a lot.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek Do you guys ski or snowboard? I'm only half-joking, but for that kind of cash you COULD take a short vacation in French/Italian/Austrian Alps and have a blast. 6 hour flight, and then Gluehwein at lunch and dinner, cheap ski lifts, and a beautiful passport stamp!

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@veedubtek - I much prefer the land based all inclusives over cruises. Must say it will likley be hard to find one within that budget. Greater Cancun area, DR, and Jamaica will be the cheapest. Check out cheapcaribbean.com to find some less than well know places.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ideally, my ultimate goal here is to take a long weekend and get her another stamp in her passport as a Christmas present. Gotta be a quickie trip kinda deal, as we are already trying to squeeze too many vacations and a possible relocation in next year. A cruise is looking less and less like an option as it looks like I'm almost better off just flying to Cancun or similar.

Given that tidbit of info - wwyd? Probably do a Friday/Saturday through Tuesday kinda deal. Prefer all inclusive I think. Like to stay under $1500 including flight from Charlotte or Raleigh (not counting extraneous expenses once there). Looking around February timeframe. Obviously a cruise isn't off the table, but I don't see many that meet my criteria during that timeframe - and those closest to meeting are Cozumel which seems to be a bad idea.
You can fly out of Myrtle Beach on Spirit Airlines to St Thomas for around $300 a ticket round trip there should be plenty of lodging spots to choose from down there.