• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cupholders full of water

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I uncovered the boat today and found a few cup holders had water in them. Specifically the holders behind the captains chair and passenger chair. The actual stainless steel holder has a hole in it, but the fiberglass does not.

Do I drill it out?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Can you take a picture of what you are looking at? The fiberglass under the cupholders lets the water just drip down to the bilge.

If you are having issues with water not draining, make sure the holes are not blocked with the small white foam, or the black gasket around the hole. They tend to be loose and block water passage.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'll have to take a pic next time I get on the boat since its tied up to a buoy now and I would have to row out to it, lol.

Basically when i look into the cup holder i see a hole in the stainless cup holder but then it seems like there is no hole drilled into the fiberglass to allow the water to drain.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
There shouldn't be any holes in the fiberglass. That cup will drip down the sides into the bilge. The hole in the cup itself may be blocked. Try getting a thin phillips head screwdriver, and poking it through JUST THE CUP.

Do not puncture or make a hole in the fiberglass.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not a great design and not the best stainless. Mine always seem to have some water in them and they are beginning to show some rust. I broke the adhesive foam gasket that holds them in and I take them out to wash them in the sink. Kind of a pain now because a beer with a coze will stick and the whole cup holder lifts out. For me that's better than swill water collecting in them causing mold and rust.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

I'll make sure to take a closer look at them next weekend.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
They are just standard cup holders. Stainless still stains, and rusts. You can take those out, and add additional holes on the bottom to help drain the water. Or you can replace them with plastic ones, and hold them in with some silicone sealant so they can be removed in the future.

If you want to replace them, here ya go.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/6X-Stainless-Steel-Beverage-Cup-Drink-Holder-Drop-IN-Drain-Marine-Boat-Car-RV/181812586?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1124&adid=22222222227054234974&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=154990323103&wl4=pla-264361050860&wl5=9011476&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561781&wl11=online&wl12=181812586&wl13=&veh=sem

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So the white I'm seeing at the bottom of the stainless steel hole is styrofoam and not fiberglass? I figured the white I was seeing was fiberglass but it makes sense after re-reading your posts.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You got it!

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Took another look at my cup holders this weekend, which by the way were full of water. It hasn't rained here in days, I would have thought they would have drained empty by now. And honestly, I don't think my cup holders have styrofoam at the bottom. The white I see through the hole in the cup holder is definitely too hard to be styrofoam. The only cup holders holding water are the ones behind the captians chair and port chair.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
depending on the brand, there is a plastic cap threaded on the bottom. on my sea doo, only the cup holders above the battery switch have hoses connected to drain into the bottom of the boat.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I finally took a picture of my cup holders. They do not have a hole to drain. As you can see in the picture, there is only a stainless steel cuoholder with a rubber bottom and no hole for water to drain. 20170616_170417.jpg 20170616_170415.jpg

The cup holders at the helm have drains but the ones pictures do not. They are located on the port and starboard sides next to the flip up seats.

Do other people have similar non draining cup holders?

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm just wondering if i can drill a hole in the bottom of the existing cup holders, or will the water stay in an area of the hull that doesn't drain to the bilge?

Should they have been drilled out from the factory?

Seems ridiculous to have cup holders that don't drain and also that they don't come that way from the factory.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That appears to be a factory build mistake to me. It would make no sense not to have them drain.
Walt

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Looks like they have the same ones as the glastrons, they didn't come from the factory drilled either so I drilled holes in all of my cup holders, use a good bit or use a small punch where u want the hole, drill bit might try to walk on you. I didn't check the fiberglass below them, i sure hope they drain to the bilge!

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I agree! I would hate to drill them out and have the water sitting in my hull somewhere!

I'm hoping a few more people could chime in with advice.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
What is below these cupholders? if you drill them where will the water go? some of the cupholders in my SeaDoo had the caps on them as there was storage underneath, I have added tubing and routed into the bottom of the hull. Had to drill a hole in the storage wall to get wires for the LED's anyways. It could be that they did not want the water draining in that location. How about a pic showing where they are

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What is below these cupholders? if you drill them where will the water go? some of the cupholders in my SeaDoo had the caps on them as there was storage underneath, I have added tubing and routed into the bottom of the hull. Had to drill a hole in the storage wall to get wires for the LED's anyways. It could be that they did not want the water draining in that location. How about a pic showing where they are
I think you might be right about storage being underneath. I'll check for sure when I get back to the boat.

Arrows are pointing to the location of the cup holders that do not have a drain hole.20170623_084116_resized.jpg

Last edited:

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Another data point. My 2016 215 HO Impulse Wake has the same looking cupholder, however all of them have the center drilled out so as not to collect fluid. My guess is they failed to drill them out at the factory.

Walt