• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom ballast bags question

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm planning my ballast upgrade for the off-season and I'd like to get some opinions on custom bags. I've measured out custom bags under both rear seats. Since I've got subs in there that take up some space, my conservative measurements would produce a roughly 750lb bag. So my question is this, what benefit would I really get from these custom bags, as compared to just a normal 800 lb bag? In my head the custom bag is better, but wouldn't a normal bag just fill the space as well? I was thinking that if I had the bag custom sized, I could keep it off the walls, the subs, etc, but would that really happen? Is it going to go wherever it wants anyway? Just looking for thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think I've answered my own question on this. Found the sumo straight line max bag and at 65x18x18, it isn't far off the measurements I have from the compartments. It won't have the shape and I won't be able to fill it 100%, but the weight difference between it and the custom bag will be less than 100lbs. Plus, I can put the same bag under both seats, and the ski locker, which I like. The custom bag would be at least double the cost for each one, and unless someone has something I haven't thought of then I don't see the benefit. If I didn't have anything in those compartments and you were looking to absolutely maximize the weight, then the custom bags would make sense, but in my case, I don't think they do.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you looking at wake makers? If so there is a discount code for the forum... I don’t have it right this second, but I have it saved on my computer for future orders!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you looking at wake makers? If so there is a discount code for the forum... I don’t have it right this second, but I have it saved on my computer for future orders!
I am, and I did not know about this. That would be great!

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
YAMAHA1314 can’t be combined with sales tho not sure if the bag is on sale now or not

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for that. The bag is on sale now, and when I tried the code it says "Coupon Code Invalid". For giggles, I tried it with a bag that is not on sale, and I got the same error, so maybe its expired or doesn't apply to ballast bags or something. Thanks for looking it up for me anyways though.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s weird I just used the code a week or 2 ago when I got a few things from there.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So tonight, the code works. Same PC, same browser. Something on the wakemakers side I guess.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottie looks like you already pulled the trigger, but IMHO the only reason to do custom bags is to fit a truly custom shape, like the "L-shape" bags on v-drives or the platform bag on this forum, otherwise get a standard bag and let it conform to the things around it.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottie looks like you already pulled the trigger, but IMHO the only reason to do custom bags is to fit a truly custom shape, like the "L-shape" bags on v-drives or the platform bag on this forum, otherwise get a standard bag and let it conform to the things around it.
I haven't bought yet, but I'm thinking you and others are right. I don't see the benefit in this case. Thanks for the time and opinions!

kent426

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run 2x350 straight line big bags next the batteries and 500 next to the cooler and they work fine without having to go custom.