• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom SwimDeck Ballast Bag project

Would you be interested in this type of bag for your swim deck?

• Yes

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
***Updated 4/26/18 - This thread has evolved quite a bit since it began. . . The ballast project has been made a reality by @jcyamaharider and is going to be good for EITHER side with the recent shape adjustments. As such, the title has been updated and I have entered this note here. Feel free to enjoy reading through the thread. I just wanted to be clear this is no longer a Port side only project***

ORIGINAL THREAD BEGINS HERE:

So, I've had this little idea on the brain for a season (or 3). . . . But I am finally getting tired enough of stepping over the standard ballast bags on the swim deck whenever we want to surf, that I am going to do something about it.

I am working with WakeMakers to gauge the viability/cost/potential weight for a custom made bag for the port side swim deck of my 14' AR240HO. IF and WHEN it is completed it SHOULD work with a bunch of the 24' models from a bunch of years.

Below are a few pictures of the mock up process. For my fellow Wakesurfers, please comment as to whether or not this is something you might be interested in. I know back when I first mentioned this the interest was quite high.

I am all ears to any suggestions/ideas/criticisms that will help to improve upon the design.

The templates pictured were cut from 4mil plastic sheeting for the base, and then I used cardboard to mock up the walls so I could get some measurements.20170614_183912.jpg20170614_184239.jpg20170614_190014.jpg20170614_193716.jpg20170614_193723.jpgBallast1.jpg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what is the anticipated weight of the bag?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on the size in comparison of my others I am hoping for 500+. . . . But that has yet to be calculated.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an interesting idea, I'm interested.
I'm literally about to pull the trigger on the Wakemakers 1,175 lbs Sumo, so - funny you posted this right now.

I would love to have a bag that is large enough to make a difference and is not in the way. But, large enough being the key word, not sure 500lbs is even close.

I 'm discovering that my boat needs to be listed to the max and needs to have the whole corner of the swim deck way under water to get a good wake. Having some of the ballast on the lower deck may also be pushing it too far back behind the transom. Not necessarily bad but may need to be complemented/countered with more ballast up front.

My current thinking with the 1,175 sumo is to have it plumbed off of one of my johnson pumps in the strbd wet compartment - behind the cushion, so that I could just roll it out.

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an interesting idea, I'm interested.
I'm literally about to pull the trigger on the Wakemakers 1,175 lbs Sumo, so - funny you posted this right now.

I would love to have a bag that is large enough to make a difference and is not in the way. But, large enough being the key word, not sure 500lbs is even close.

I 'm discovering that my boat needs to be listed to the max and needs to have the whole corner of the swim deck way under water to get a good wake. Having some of the ballast on the lower deck may also be pushing it too far back behind the transom. Not necessarily bad but may need to be complemented/countered with more ballast up front.

My current thinking with the 1,175 sumo is to have it plumbed off of one of my johnson pumps in the strbd wet compartment - behind the cushion, so that I could just roll it out.

--
Based on the size of my 800 lb bag. . . . . . I am hopeful this will be closer to 800-1000lbs. I was being a bit conservative when I said 500+. . . . . I should have said 500 minimum and emphasized the + part. = )

The design incorporates 2 drains too for faster drainage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on the size of my 800 lb bag. . . . . . I am hopeful this will be closer to 800-1000lbs. I was being a bit conservative when I said 500+. . . . . I should have said 500 minimum and emphasized the + part. = )

The design incorporates 2 drains too for faster drainage.
I see what you mean, you could design those as tall as needed to get to the 800-1,000lbs zone which I think would be good.
I also see you are planning to drain by gravity. That way you can just have one aerator pump for filling, right? That really brings the cost of the system down dramatically. Not to mention labor involved in plumbing for a reversible system - it is a lot.
I already have 4 reversible WM johnsons installed so will be taking advantage. The way I have it set up is - I only have one bag per pump, with all 1" ID hoses, no valves, and no vents - my fill/drain times are crazy fast, about 5-6min per 800lbs bag. That is at least five times faster then when I tried to drain by gravity and with several people sitting on a bag to squeeze it, lol. Something to consider.

I will post my built - still trying a couple of things with connectors, timers, and placement.

One way or the other, I still need another bag (at least 800lbs, preferably 1,000+) for the back/port, so very interested in your mod!

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see what you mean, you could design those as tall as needed to get to the 800-1,000lbs zone which I think would be good.
I also see you are planning to drain by gravity. That way you can just have one aerator pump for filling, right? That really brings the cost of the system down dramatically. Not to mention labor involved in plumbing for a reversible system - it is a lot.
I already have 4 reversible WM johnsons installed so will be taking advantage. The way I have it set up is - I only have one bag per pump, with all 1" ID hoses, no valves, and no vents - my fill/drain times are crazy fast, about 5-6min per 800lbs bag. That is at least five times faster then when I tried to drain by gravity and with several people sitting on a bag to squeeze it, lol. Something to consider.

I will post my built - still trying a couple of things with connectors, timers, and placement.

One way or the other, I still need another bag (at least 800lbs, preferably 1,000+) for the back/port, so very interested in your mod!

--
I am figuring with 2 drain ports and both the fill and air intake acting as drain vents it should drain twice as fast. Plus, being on the swimdeck we can drain while underway so drain times is less of a concern for me.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How would this help in not stepping over a bag? Isn't it still going to be on the swim deck? Maybe I'm confused. I use the 800 lb straight line big bag on the swim deck and use ratchet strap from lower tow point to grab rail through the double straps of the big bag. My nemesis is the other 800 lb bag we put on port side seat. I've been thinking of moving my sub and putting the bag in the storage area...where the batteries are. Don't know if it will fill up though to 800 lbs. If I want to surf comfortably we need to fill up another 500 lb bag we just put on the floor. We actually have the process of setting up down pat...of course it involves me doing everything including getting out in the water and putting on the wedge. Figuring out a better way may be a project for next year.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am figuring with 2 drain ports and both the fill and air intake acting as drain vents it should drain twice as fast. Plus, being on the swimdeck we can drain while underway so drain times is less of a concern for me.
I agree. Need some way to secure it.
(those things can actually sink...)

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How would this help in not stepping over a bag? Isn't it still going to be on the swim deck?
If you take a close look at the pictures above with the cardboard mock up, you should be able to see that the bag only takes up 1 side of the swim platform and doesn't obstruct the pass through.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. Need some way to secure it.
(those things can actually sink...)

--
The plan is to affix whitewater raft ties downs (via adhesive) to it once its made. The plan is to go from the chrome grab handle to port side rear cleat, to lower tow point to secure it.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you take a close look at the pictures above with the cardboard mock up, you should be able to see that the bag only takes up 1 side of the swim platform and doesn't obstruct the pass through.
Ah...so it would just be out of the way more to one side. How do you envision it being secured to the boat? (sorry missed the previous posts, nevermind)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah...so it would just be out of the way more to one side. How do you envision it being secured to the boat? (sorry missed the previous posts, nevermind)
Exactly.

With regards to securing it. . . .the plan is to just use rope or ratchet straps to criss cross over it and hold it down until I can figure out where best to mount the raft tie downs mentioned above. This is what we do with the 800lb bag we normally use back there anyway.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly.

With regards to securing it. . . .the plan is to just use rope or ratchet straps to criss cross over it and hold it down until I can figure out where best to mount the raft tie downs mentioned above. This is what we do with the 800lb bag we normally use back there anyway.
I recall a ronix bag with a trapezoidal shape that was supposed to stabilize the bag. Probably wouldn't eliminate the need to secure but could be a design element.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recall a ronix bag with a trapezoidal shape that was supposed to stabilize the bag. Probably wouldn't eliminate the need to secure but could be a design element.
I am thinking that with the step being built into the bag, and with it following the contour of the seating area. . . . it should be quite stable the way it's currently designed. However, I am awaiting feedback from wake makers on this (they also have a link to this thread).

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian - you still have the hook up at mother Yamaha? I just got off the phone with Corp, and they told me to go fly a kite when I asked them for the measurements for the swim deck. If I could provide Wakemakers with CAD of the section I am working on it would make life WAY easier.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't know how I missed this but it looks really cool!!!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I do have a laser 3D scanner and CMM....

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well I do have a laser 3D scanner and CMM....
Be kind of hard to level back up that granite block on the back of a boat....LOL

I bet the 3d scanner is fun!!