• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

D.I.Y. Auger Anchor

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I wanted to purchase one of the Anchor Hog's this winter but the design looked so simple that I figured I would try to tackle it myself.

Here is the picture I went by, they charge $99 plus shipping for a set of two 4 footers. I was able to build my own for roughly $80. Had I not painted them (from what I see at the lake, no one does), take off $20 in spray paint and for $60 bucks its a solid project.

images.jpg

I purchased the Auger from boat left and dock on @Bruce recommendation from an earlier post. Total cost of the augers was $36 with shipping.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-583-torqd-composite-dock-auger.aspx

Here is what I picked up from Lowes. I decided to add a Ubolt on the top to tie the rope to and paint them Orange so the would be highly visible while at anchor. I also plan on filling them with spray foam to allow them to float (I have no idea if this will work or not).

2, 5' - 1 1/2" PVC @ $3.34 ea
2, 1 1/2" PVC Tee @ $1.72 ea
2, 1 1/2" PVC Coupler @ $.79 ea
2, 3/8" 2 1/2" SS Hex Bolts, $3.67
2, 3/8" SS Hex Nut @$1.97
2, 1/4"X1 3/4" SS U-Bolt @ $1.98 ea
2, PVC Primer and Topcoat (Orange) $4.99 ea
1, Window Gap Foam @ $3.68

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

I used 3/8" bit to drill the holes in the coupler starting with a 3/16' for the pilot hole. You will see a small gap at the bottom. When the coupler is all the way on the PVC you will not be able to stick the auger all the way in. From what I can tell this is the "drain" that anchor hog advertises on their system. I went with two bolts for stability.

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

Using a 1/4" drill bit I added the SS U-Bolt to the top in the center of the Tee. I figured for a couple bucks why not... good place to tie off to.

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

You will notice that I have no handles yet. I plan to cut about a foot off and use about 6" on each side of the handle to make them 4'. I believe a 4 footer will fit in the front starboard seat because it allows it to go all the way back into the helm compartment.

IMG_6322.jpg

I will update this thread when I get around to paint, foam and assembly so you can all see the finished product.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to purchase one of the Anchor Hog's this winter but the design looked so simple that I figured I would try to tackle it myself.

Here is the picture I went by, they charge $99 plus shipping for a set of two 4 footers. I was able to build my own for roughly $80. Had I not painted them (from what I see at the lake, no one does), take off $20 in spray paint and for $60 bucks its a solid project.

View attachment 15768

I purchased the Auger from boat left and dock on @Bruce recommendation from an earlier post. Total cost of the augers was $36 with shipping.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-583-torqd-composite-dock-auger.aspx

Here is what I picked up from Lowes. I decided to add a Ubolt on the top to tie the rope to and paint them Orange so the would be highly visible while at anchor. I also plan on filling them with spray foam to allow them to float (I have no idea if this will work or not).

2, 5' - 1 1/2" PVC @ $3.34 ea
2, 1 1/2" PVC Tee @ $1.72 ea
2, 1 1/2" PVC Coupler @ $.79 ea
2, 3/8" 2 1/2" SS Hex Bolts, $3.67
2, 3/8" SS Hex Nut @$1.97
2, 1/4"X1 3/4" SS U-Bolt @ $1.98 ea
2, PVC Primer and Topcoat (Orange) $4.99 ea
1, Window Gap Foam @ $3.68

View attachment 15769

View attachment 15774

I used 3/8" bit to drill the holes in the coupler starting with a 3/16' for the pilot hole. You will see a small gap at the bottom. When the coupler is all the way on the PVC you will not be able to stick the auger all the way in. From what I can tell this is the "drain" that anchor hog advertises on their system. I went with two bolts for stability.

View attachment 15770

View attachment 15771

Using a 1/4" drill bit I added the SS U-Bolt to the top in the center of the Tee. I figured for a couple bucks why not... good place to tie off to.

View attachment 15772

View attachment 15773

You will notice that I have no handles yet. I plan to cut about a foot off and use about 6" on each side of the handle to make them 4'. I believe a 4 footer will fit in the front starboard seat because it allows it to go all the way back into the helm compartment.

View attachment 15775

I will update this thread when I get around to paint, foam and assembly so you can all see the finished product.
So is this to be used like a shore spike?

If so any idea how well the PVC will hold up with flexing? I have some aluminum pipe at home that might fit but I will need to measure. If not the PVC is a great alternative if it doesn't snap.

Thanks

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@96Pirate I believe the actual Anchorhog uses some sort of modified PVC. I plan on using this mostly while we are at the swimming hole and near the beach. At most we will be in 2.5-3' of water. Both areas are sandy bottom so I figured I will be able to dig it in a good 8-12". You bring up a valid point that I did not think of. I would imagine if its not a calm day, my box anchor will be a good alternative. With the kids being young we tend to only be able to be in one spot for an hour or so before they get anxious to "go fast"! I hated having to set the box anchor for those small amounts of time. I saw a lot of people using these types of set ups all summer so I figured I would give it a shot. Will have to post a follow up when the boats in the water.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe You may want to bolt a U-bolt along the vertical piece of PVC closest to where the sand might be. So if you bury it 12" then maybe mount the u-bolt at 14". This should take away any of the flex that would occur.

I would probably use it much like you with the exception that I would want to use for overnight. This past season I left it out for 2 nights but just tied off to a tree on 1 side and used my river anchor on the other side. When I posted here most of the guys recommended using shore spikes but I felt I could make something cheaper than the shore spike and just as good. This might be it.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@96Pirate Thanks for the insight. I only put the U-Bolt on the top because trying to tighten the bolts down in the tube would have been cumbersome. On your advice I think I will pick up a SS Eye Bolt and wrench one though the tube about 12" down from the handle. This should help with the possible flex. Great idea!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great. It sounds like you will not need to do anything to strengthen the PVC but if you do I have three suggestions;

1. Use schedule 80
2. Fill the PVC with dense spray foam
3. Insert a wooden dowel inside the PVC

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Made the same thing last year. Works pretty good but in our mucky lake you gotta go pretty deep because the waves from boats cause it to pull on it with too much side force and will wiggle it loose by the end of a eight hour day. Also, you can use a bungie line and slip over the top and the other end to a cleat and that will help with that stress and allow tue boat to move a bit without pulling it out of the ground. Those augers can be found all over the internet. I believe i found a single one for about 5 bucks, scammed a secton of pvc from a job site, had some bolts laying around, and the glue but bought the T. I am sure i have less than $20 into my one. We go to a sandbar/party cove spot that is always about waist deep so i made it about5' long to get into the mucky ground a bit better and still be able to undo the auger from the boat for those chillier nights when we stay out late

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this @GiddYupJoe . I bought the augers a few weeks ago and will follow your DIY to complete the project.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe did you use PVC glue to attach the T and coupler to the shaft?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@GiddYupJoe did you use PVC glue to attach the T and coupler to the shaft?
The T to the tube = Yes on the glue. The handles to the T = Nope. I do not plan on perminaty attacheing the handles to the T. This will make for eiaser storage IMO.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glue for the coupler at the bottom of the shaft as well where the auger is mounted?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I just bought a corkscrew stake from Home Depot for $6. I float a small $3 buoy that I picked up on Amazon on top of it if I put it under water. so nobody trips on it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Platinum-Pets-Coated-Tie-Out-Corkscrew-Stake-in-Chrome-STKBCH/204647552
That's a great idea. I actually was looking at one that we had for the dog laying around the house. That will be a solid back up since I already made the others.

1 point for @d_coyne1984 for cost effectiveness anchor solution!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just bought a corkscrew stake from Home Depot for $6. I float a small $3 buoy that I picked up on Amazon on top of it if I put it under water. so nobody trips on it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Platinum-Pets-Coated-Tie-Out-Corkscrew-Stake-in-Chrome-STKBCH/204647552
That is what I have been using the last couple of years. The issue I have with them is that they are so short I have to go under water while trying to apply pressue from the top while screwing it in. Kinda a pain in the ass. I already bought the augers to make these and will give them a try this season.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I bought one of the plastic screw in anchors for docks, and put the pvc on it long enough that in our usual boating spot I can screw it in from the back of the boat and tie off. Anchor off the bow, and this in the rear with a bungie tie off works great! Found we needed the bungie because our lake is FULL of wake surfers and boarders which means BIG WAKES all day long and it was ripping it out of the mucky bottom. It eliminates us from re setting it every 3-4 hours or so, but seriously, they hold like crazy good.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I got a chance to finally test out my home made auger anchor this weekend. It worked great! Better than I expected. I made two but only used one this time around as we were only hanging at the beach for a little while. It screwed into the sandy bottom about 1' and never moved a bit.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I made 2 of these as well and used them for the first time this past weekend. The first one we tied to the top where the handles were and I ended up snapping the pvc off above the auger so I lost that auger. After that I put the next one in at an angle then tied it around the bottom and that worked for Saturday and Sunday. They work great and alot of people were like what a great idea lol.