• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Damage from polyethylene bunk boards!!

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the polyethylene boards this season. (Same exact material as UBBs). I loved them immediately. It took care of a lot of loading issues I had..However, I noticed white powder on the boards after launching. Yesterday I swam under the boat with a mask, and I wasn't pleased with what I saw..

That white powder on the boards is definitely gel coat that the boards rubbed off. My hull was almost perfect prior to the installation of the boards, and now, they there are deep rub marks, almost all the way through the gel coat in the front, by the keel, where there is the most pressure. These boards did significant damage to my hull, and the damage is from trailing, not launching..Carpet is still the way to go.. Beware!!

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There have been a number of similar reports.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speaking of which, what would the absolute best boat trailer bunk carpet be, if there is such a thing?

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The carpet that comes on the newer shoreland'r trailers is junk. Very thin and very low pile/density. My dealer showed me a boatmate trailer that had awesome carpet so I ordered some from their website and put it right over the carpet that was there. HUGE difference in the quality of the material. You should either fold the edge under or use a heat gun on it after the install to seal the edge from pulling apart.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After tons of research, and lots of looking at samples, I ended up using the home depot marine carpet. I have only had it on for a year but it seems to wear very well. And it is cheap. Cam.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The carpet that comes on the newer shoreland'r trailers is junk. Very thin and very low pile/density. My dealer showed me a boatmate trailer that had awesome carpet so I ordered some from their website and put it right over the carpet that was there. HUGE difference in the quality of the material. You should either fold the edge under or use a heat gun on it after the install to seal the edge from pulling apart.
Thank you for the tip. I, too, am a bit appalled by the quality of Shorlandr carpet...

So - Boatmate's standard bunk carpet it is, right? The only one I could find.
https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=8

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep that is it. I ordered 4 units thinking it was pre cut... it all came as one roll so 3 units would have done it for me. Guess I should have called them. I have no idea how this stacks up to you you find at the large diy stores, other marine retailers, ebay, or amazon. I knew it was a sure bet so I went with it.

I really hope Yamaha does not renew their contract with shoreland'r when it comes time for that. Tires, fenders, bow roller, bunk carpet, and lack of grease were all things I had to fix on a brand new trailer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The shorelandr trailer is a HUGE improvement over the previous MFI trailers Yamaha used until 2011. Guys, Yamaha specs what they want on the trailers. Shorelandr could put any carpet, and would, if Yamaha spec'ed it. After changing my bow roller, my Trailers perfect. The bunk carpet on mine is OK not great, but then again if you check almost any boat trailer out there the carpet wears out fast. I bought installed you UBBs also, and had the chaulking, however there are plenty of people that are getting that chocking with just carpet. It's from movement guys, not the material against the hull. If you could cinch the boat tight enough on the UBB's, they wouldn't chalk, but they are so slick, it's hard to keep it from moving around.. But it is definitely from movement while trailering.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 10mph hard stop before leaving the ramp and retighten trick I just learned from this forum really helps a lot with movement.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 10mph hard stop before leaving the ramp and retighten trick I just learned from this forum really helps a lot with movement.
Yup...do it every time with all my boats....snugs them up to the bow roller nicely