• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dealer gouge

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What does everyone pay for oil, oil filters and spark plugs? I try to stay with factory filters and oil but I think my opinion is changing. My local dealer just charged me $100 for Yamaha oil and oil filters, and that doesn't come with a rubdown while I do the work. They wanted almost $15 per spark plug,, stock plugs....Ok, I was born at night, but not last night. I know when I am being gouged and I don't think they will get the opportunity to sell me any more parts, see you later dealer, I don't appreciate being gouged. I think there are plenty of good oils and oil filters out there that will do just as good or better as factory oil and will be in my boat the next time.

Howdy, all I can tell you is that my boat has been run hard since day one.....going into our eleventh season. I use Castrol blend....can't remember the exact name, K&N filters - cause they have a nut on the end and are easy to get on and off (get the chrome, they are faster) and I get my plugs at clubplug.net. Get an extraction pump (I use Pella) if you don't already have one.

I change my oil while having coffee in the morning with my wife as we float down river. She's getting pretty good at it. And the Danish get nice and warm if you put them in the sun up on the bow. :cool:

As a dealer I know Yamaha parts are expensive but we don't have any say in the price. The oil filters are $23.15 each and a gallon of oil is $20.99 so that would be $88.28 before sales tax. Our tax is 7% so the total would be $94.46. They are crazy on the spark plug price. The plugs should be around $7 a piece not $15!! There are plenty of options out there for you if you are doing the job yourself. We have to obey the laws for warranty purposes and on the off chance a part fails I can back it up because we purchased it through Mother Yammie.

@Trm1765 FYI. I just bought the stock NGK plugs from Advanced Auto Parts. They had them in stock locally. 3.98 ea.

I've said for a long time that Yamaha doesn't make oil filters or oil. Yes, I've heard that the Yamaha filters use lambs wool as a filter media but I don't like being fleeced so I use Mobil 1 and K&N filters. The stock NGK spark plugs can be bought for under $5 online.

Last edited:
I shop at advance auto too....

Filters (K&N) $27
Plugs (CR9EBs for my model) $26
Oil (Mobil 1) $37

Total $90 + tax

As a dealer I know Yamaha parts are expensive but we don't have any say in the price. The oil filters are $23.15 each and a gallon of oil is $20.99 so that would be $88.28 before sales tax. Our tax is 7% so the total would be $94.46. They are crazy on the spark plug price. The plugs should be around $7 a piece not $15!! There are plenty of options out there for you if you are doing the job yourself. We have to obey the laws for warranty purposes and on the off chance a part fails I can back it up because we purchased it through Mother Yammie.
B_Mutter, I understand that Yamaha rules most of the prices. I think my attitude might have unjustly gone towards the local dealer instead of the manufacturer as I intended, poor wording on my part. Yamaha and every other manufacturer does not do the dealer or the customer any favors by gouging these prices and only drives away any future business for parts and supplies. They know we have no choice on some parts and take huge advantage on that.....I will just be a smarter shopper from now on.

Hey....what's trim without a lil hot sauce??

I called a dealer in Illinois today. One of the better prices on a leftover SX240. Guy tells me the price, then $1875 freight and prep plus tax. I tell him I am taking out of state and will pay my sales tax in my own state. He tells me Illinois state law requires them to collect and I won't have to pay Texas. In Texas, you can't get your TX numbers without paying the state sales tax! Not paying the $2800 twice!

Illinois sucks ASS!!! I hate it here and I can't wait for the day I get out of here, headed south... The taxes and fees are horrible. You know how bad it is?? I sent the forms in to register our new boat September 2013, still have not received my stickers or numbers. I called Springfield , they have (1) person processing watercraft registrations for the entire state , she said I have no idea when you will be getting them. Just keep reapplying for a temporary..meanwhile every tax and fee just keeps going up and up, with no better service, that is all I am done complaining. Thank you

I called a dealer in Illinois today. One of the better prices on a leftover SX240. Guy tells me the price, then $1875 freight and prep plus tax. I tell him I am taking out of state and will pay my sales tax in my own state. He tells me Illinois state law requires them to collect and I won't have to pay Texas. In Texas, you can't get your TX numbers without paying the state sales tax! Not paying the $2800 twice!

My understanding is that if you are an out of state resident in general you can ask for an exemption when you are purchasing a car/boat/trailer. I even found an Illinois specific rule below:

http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/TaxInformation/Sales/rot.htm

Exemptions
Sales — The following list contains some of the most common examples of transactions that are exempt from tax. (See the Illinois Administrative Code, Section 130.120 and Publication 104, Common Sales Tax Exemptions for a comprehensive list.)
- Sales to out-of-state buyers (Nonresidents may not claim the out-of-state buyer exemption if the motor vehicle or trailer will be titled in a state that does not give Illinois residents an out of state buyer exemption on purchases in that state of motor vehicles or trailers that will be titled in Illinois.)

Bought my filters from the dealer for 13.00 and some change .....?????? Total for 6 quarts of yamalube, 2 filters and 8 plugs was 115

I was thinking last time I bought filters from the dealer, they were only $10 and change...yes, here it is...
oil filter cost (Medium).jpg
Combined with my spark plugs from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, my parts were only about $90 for 6 qt Yamalube, 2 yamaha filters, and 8 spark plugs. The plugs at PD were not outrageous, but still around $7 each vs $3.76 at the auto parts store. Now on the 240's, they use a different filter and spark plug, so I am not certain as to the cost on those. But all dealers are not gouging their clients, although dealer costs are higher than discount stores. I have to say, I have received expert advice from my dealer too on many things, but they don't know everything. We for example, have combined experience here, and can get a much more diverse take on things.

I dont think dealers or anyone in their position gouge so to speak. Think of their overhead, the responsibility they own with every job performed etc. We save money doing it ourselves but I get that shops need to charge accordingly.

Back