• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer Installed Dual Batteries

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My new FSH came with dual deep cycle batteries. Not a starting battery and deep cycle.

Questions:

Did everyone else's come with that same set up?

Also, with the DVSR, should I buy a single bank or dual bank charger? Charge each battery individually?

I have seen some debate about charging amperage etc., but didn't see any clear recommendation for this set up.

Thanks in advance.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My new FSH came with dual deep cycle batteries. Not a starting battery and deep cycle.

Questions:

Did everyone else's come with that same set up?

Also, with the DVSR, should I buy a single bank or dual bank charger? Charge each battery individually?

I have seen some debate about charging amperage etc., but didn't see any clear recommendation for this set up.

Thanks in advance.
I am not an expert, hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in. But -- in the meantime -- I think this one is a no-brainer: use dual bank charger hooked up DIRECTLY to your individual batteries, that is the way to go.
At least that is how mine has been set up, with success.

--

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am not an expert, hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in. But -- in the meantime -- I think this one is a no-brainer: use dual bank charger hooked up DIRECTLY to your individual batteries, that is the way to go.
At least that is how mine has been set up, with success.
--
Thanks, that seems to be the way to go... Did your boat come new with dual deep cycle batteries?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What make and model batteries did they install? Most likely the starter load is well within the batteries capability. Assuming it is you are better off with two deep cycles. The only reason for a "starter" battery would be reduced costs. I use two deep cycle AGM batteries.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
All good advice but I'll throw a wrinkle in. Are you eventually going to add a set of batteries for a 24V trolling motor? If so, get a three banker. One to each trolling battery, one to the starting battery, and let the DVSR bleed over to charge the house battery once the starting battery is charged.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tonkatoy I got a factory dual battery set up, the dealer installed a starter and a dual purpose Interstate batteries. Those are okay and I decided not to interfere (had to pick my battles), but would prefer two deep cycle AGMs. As @Bruce said, our motors are easy to crank. Sam's club has the best deals on Duracell AGMs I know of, that would be my choice.

--

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Tonkatoy I got a factory dual battery set up, the dealer installed a starter and a dual purpose Interstate batteries. Those are okay and I decided not to interfere (had to pick my battles), but would prefer two deep cycle AGMs. As @Bruce said, our motors are easy to crank. Sam's club has the best deals on Duracell AGMs I know of, that would be my choice.

--
They gave me dual deep cycle interstate batteries w 550 cca (non AGMs) both deep cycle so I can't complain.

All good advice but I'll throw a wrinkle in. Are you eventually going to add a set of batteries for a 24V trolling motor? If so, get a three banker. One to each trolling battery, one to the starting battery, and let the DVSR bleed over to charge the house battery once the starting battery is charged.
Cool idea, but I will not be going the trolling Motor route.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
What would be the target charge rate per battery on a wet cell?
5 amps?

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
M 2016 FSH Sport came with two identical Deka (Interstate) 800 CCA batteries in parallel, with a DVSR switch for House/Start/Emergency Parallel. Very nicely done IMO. Nice to have, but makes the cramped space under the port side flip-up seat very tight, which is basically the only spot for my onboard charger project. The charger's terminal leads won't reach the batteries if I install in the engine compartment or the center console. That leaves only the port side flip-up seat storage area (plus, the transom/firewall has no open spaces).

I have a pile of hardware and a new Marinco (aka Guest) dual bank 10amp charger I plan to install tomorrow. Had to find a 1 7/8" hole saw to install a Marinco Thru Connect opening for the AC cord. Its a pretty slick setup so there's no cutting of the plug required. I may do my own thread after I finally get the install completed.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have been getting low voltage warnings on my 2016 FSH Sport boat gauge (with alarm) and low voltage warnings on my Humminbird fishfinder as well. I have to turn on the parallel isolation switch to temporarily resolve the issue. I tested the batteries and the start battery was low (8.5 V) while the house battery (an identical battery) seemed fine. I had the start battery tested and am replacing it as it failed the load test. My issue is this......When I pulled the start battery, which is a starting battery, I noticed that the house battery is also a starting battery. Shouldn't the house battery be a deep cycle? I want to replace both at the same time but am not sure if they are the same due to charging requirements etc. I was just going to replace them with two starting batteries, as that is what the dealership installed, but then noticed this post that Tonka's came with two deep cycle batteries. HELP!! I have lost faith in the dealership's opinion as I have learned over the years that I know more about this boat than they do. Neither of these batteries are used to power my 36V Riptide as I have 3 dedicated batteries and charging system for them. House battery used for Humminbird, radio and Canon Mag 10 downriggers. Boat motor is off when I use this equipment as I can troll with the Riptide.
Batteries are both Napa Marine 24M-7, (800 cca /1000 ca) starting batteries (see pics below). They are approximately 2 1/2 years old.

So I don't want my question to get lost in all of the background. Should I install a starting battery as the start battery and a deep cycle as the house battery? If so, do they have to have identical ratings and will my charging system (boat alternator) be OK with the two different batteries?

Opinions please.

Attachments

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
1 start, 1 deep cycle. Standard config on ALL boats w/2 batteries. Your alternator will charge it fine, doesn't matter if the ratings are different.

Larger boats with multiple engines/outboards and larger draw will have variations of the 1/1 config.